Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Dec 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1190565)   #1
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Jackie Slams Ford Pull-out

This headline is from ITV-F1.

Am I the only person that thinks JYS is best to keep quiet? I don't normally stick up for the corporation, but I believe Ford sold their interests in F1 with dignity and in a way that has allowed Jaguar/Red Bull, Cosworth, and PI to continue as seamlessly as possible into new ownership.

Just a couple of days ago I saw this quote:

“Jackie Stewart has made a tremendous impact on Ford globally,” said Edsel B. Ford II, a member of the board of directors and the great-grandson of Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motor Company. "Now, as Jackie’s career enters a new chapter, we salute him and thank him for being such a great Ford ambassador.”

Just days later JYS mouths off to the press at how wrong Ford were to quit F1.

I think this lacks dignity, after 40 years on the Ford payroll as a vaguely defined 'consultant', having had his own F1 team bankrolled by Ford, before selling it to Ford.

JYS - Learn when to keep quiet. I am beginning to understand why Bernie found him so difficult to deal with regarding Silverstone.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1190567)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jackie did not "mouth off" to the press.

He was asked an honest question in an interview and gave an honest answer - stating his opinion.

He disagreed with the decision to pull-out - and felt it sad given Ford's history in the sport.

He did not "slam" Ford.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1190574)   #3
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, but Jackie is so PR-savvy that he should know that his opinion will create critical headlines for Ford, simply because of who he is.

In the circumstances, Jackie should remember that Ford have made his career both in F1 and in the 30 years since he retired, and Ford have every right to feel disappointed in him in the last few days.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 15:16 (Ref:1190594)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Slam' comes from ITV-F1, who are looking for loud headlines to get people looking at their website to please would-be advertisers. It shouldn't be attributed to Jackie - he simply said he felt they were wrong to pull out, which he's perfectly entitled to say, and I think he's probably right that selling Cosworth was a mistake, athough in fairness Jaguar never looked likely to succeed. In fact, I'd say Jackie was the only one in major Ford management who had a clue how to run the team, and he's more than entitled to express his frustration and disappointment.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1190624)   #5
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Absolutely right Boots. Unfortunately the headline often does not remotely reflect the actual content of the story. A tried and trued method by the media, particularly effective in the off-season where slow news prevails.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1190777)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Ford did not "make" Jackie Stewart.

Ford has gotten way more mileage from their association with him than Jackie has with them.

He is articulate, savvy and knows the business. Perhaps if Ford had actually listened to him more over the years they might have been more successful in racing.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1190813)   #7
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The headline stinks but is not an accurate reflection on whaT JYS actually said nor in the context of the question he was answering. Another reason why I don't like alot of F1 'journalism'.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 00:36 (Ref:1190827)   #8
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only person who has made Jackie Young Stewart is JYS himself.
A shrewd canny man whatever you think of him.

I should also think that his PR skills are in excess of those of Redlake 27.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 02:56 (Ref:1190864)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are some people who have achieved so much they are essentially beyond reproach.

Sir Jackie is one.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1190977)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
SLAM!
This is obviously some strange useage of the word slam I wasn't previously aware off.

Slam: To offer a quiet opinion that disagrees with someone else, yet doesn't infer any malice or accusation. Often used by cheap journalists who work for quantity rather than quality television.

Now that is slamming!

Last edited by Adam43; 1 Jan 2005 at 12:40.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1190978)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Spot on Adam.
Old 1 Jan 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1191001)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uhm, a link to the relevant article would be nice, as i'm too lazy to get of my own ass and google it...