Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jan 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2107239)   #1
Gerald Swan
Rookie

Gerald Swan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calling all Chevron owners and fans - Chevron Heritage

As from today Chevron Heritage has been launched, you can find it at: http://www.chevronheritage.com or http://www.chevronheritage.co.uk.

The site is aimed at both Chevron owners and fans and if you own a Chevron you can register it and there is a Marketplace for buying and selling Chevron related cars and spares etc.

As ever we are looking for contributions so if you have any pictures, stories or anything at all about Chevron you think might be of interest then please send it to us.

I should mention that the site has the support of Vin and Helen at Chevron Racing and we are grateful for the help they have provided in its development.

Gerald.

www.chevronheritage.com

PS If you are thinking "Gerald......", isn't that the name of the webmaster at Lola Heritage then yes it's me again .
Old 16 Jan 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2107296)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Are Chevron Cars included in this new venture as they seem to be involved in all things Chevron at the moment?
Old 16 Jan 2008, 15:00 (Ref:2107322)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, that looks promising. Since we research chassis histories and have a number of Chevron models in our Chassis History Archive, any chance of putting our Archive on your list of links, please? It is, of course, the best place to discuss and research these cars.

John, a link to the Chevron cars site is provided.

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Jan 2008 at 15:03.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2107397)   #4
chrisks
Rookie

chrisks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
chevron cars ltd

What about this heritage?
Attached Thumbnails
chevron-racing-cars-10.jpg  
Old 16 Jan 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2107512)   #5
chrisks
Rookie

Chevron Heritage must know that the Chevron archives and IP belong to CHEVRON CARS LTD
Old 17 Jan 2008, 09:48 (Ref:2107865)   #6
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisks
What about this heritage?
Nice Car
Old 20 Jan 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2110016)   #7
chrisks
Rookie

very quiet!! was it something I said??
Old 28 Jan 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2115769)   #8
Gerald Swan
Rookie

One nice, brand-spanking new 10 Tenths link added to the site .

Gerald.

www.chevronheritage.com
Old 29 Jan 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2116126)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good man, Gerald. Thank you. Don't forget the Chassis Archive can be used to develop and understand the history of these cars. We have many Chevron threads in there.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2116139)   #10
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks good, your old photos look great too. (also had a poke around the Lola site which I'd never seen either!)
Old 29 Jan 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2116186)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that the site states that:

The Chevron name and logo are registered and are the copyright of
Chevron Racing Cars Ltd and are used with permission

Whilst there is also a website for the "Original Chevron Car Company" using the same logo and Wikipedia says:

Chevron Cars Ltd. was a manufacturer of racing cars, founded by Derek Bennett, who remained in charge from 1965 to his death in 1978. The firm has remained active in various guises since his death. Chevron has been owned since 1982 by Roger Andreason and Tim Colman. As of late 2006, controlling ownership of Chevron belongs to Chris Smith, founder of Westfield Sportscars.

Which is it and what's going on?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2116197)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
my understanding was that Roger and Tim certainly did own it abd moved it out to teh States where most of their customer business was - however I also recall about 2006 seeing it was up for sale so maybe Chris Smith bought it then. It was, for a long time before relocating down to the States, based down in Dorset
Old 29 Jan 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2116207)   #13
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
Interesting that the site states that:

The Chevron name and logo are registered and are the copyright of
Chevron Racing Cars Ltd and are used with permission

Whilst there is also a website for the "Original Chevron Car Company" using the same logo and Wikipedia says:

Chevron Cars Ltd. was a manufacturer of racing cars, founded by Derek Bennett, who remained in charge from 1965 to his death in 1978. The firm has remained active in various guises since his death. Chevron has been owned since 1982 by Roger Andreason and Tim Colman. As of late 2006, controlling ownership of Chevron belongs to Chris Smith, founder of Westfield Sportscars.

Which is it and what's going on?
I think that the problem appears to be that there is:

a) Chevron Cars Ltd
and
b) Chevron Racing Ltd

Both are using what appears to be the original Chevron logo as part of their sites. Both will supply "continuation models". Both will support Chevron owners with maintenance of their cars etc.

It is a mess and such a pity that the Chevron name has been torn apart!
Old 29 Jan 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2116209)   #14
chrisks
Rookie

I think you will find www.chevronracingcars.com explains the current position.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2116212)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisks
I think you will find www.chevronracingcars.com explains the current position.
without sounding picky - does owning the archives equal owning the intellectual rights to the name? if it does then I agree it does clarify it completely.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2116226)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Chris Smith owns/leads/contols the Chevron name with Vin Malkie playing second fiddle.I hope Vin is not cast aside as he has done more than anyone to preserve the marque.Suppose the problem is who can make fake ,sorry continuation , cars legally with the correct badge.It could/is be big business
Old 6 Feb 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2122839)   #17
Gerald Swan
Rookie

zac510, thanks for the kind words, both sites are coming along nicely although there's a long way to go on both. Hopefully as word gets around about Chevron Heritage it will grow the same way the Lola site has.

John T, yes, I know all about the Chassis Archive, I have been known to post there in the Lola section .

Gerald.

www.chevronheritage.com
Old 1 May 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2191869)   #18
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
I think that the problem appears to be that there is:*a) Chevron Cars Ltdandb) Chevron Racing Ltd*Both are using what appears to be the original Chevron logo as part of their sites. Both will supply "continuation models". Both will support Chevron owners with maintenance of their cars etc.*It is a mess and such a pity that the Chevron name has been torn apart!
Yes and it all started when Deka decided to jump off hill sides. If you or any one wants to know more I would suggest you contact Vin Malkie direct. Also the works chassis book was in the hands of Mr. P.Owen, have not seen him recently, not sure if that is still the case.

Last edited by p261brm; 1 May 2008 at 13:23.
Old 1 May 2008, 15:01 (Ref:2191940)   #19
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I am thick but according to the website Chevron cars are prepared by Kelvin Jones Motorsport, so where does Vin Malkie fall into the equation?
Old 1 May 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2191979)   #20
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy norm
I know I am thick but according to the website Chevron cars are prepared by Kelvin Jones Motorsport, so where does Vin Malkie fall into the equation?
Also by Alan & Jason Minshaw Classics as well as Chevron Racing Cars & quite a few other people I'm sure Lester Owen has a hand in as well.
Old 1 May 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2191985)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

My Chevron Cars ,both car and engine ,are prepared by Pace Motorsport,by ex Original Chevron personnel and they have won races.There is another one to be added to list!
Old 2 May 2008, 12:50 (Ref:2192520)   #22
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the question I am asking is were do Chris Smith, Vin Malkie fall into the new Chevron? Which is the real one

VM always had a close conection with chevron and has been making continuation models, now it appears Chris Smith has bought Chevron name. I was under the impression this was with VM
Old 2 May 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2192543)   #23
chrisks
Rookie

Chevron Cars Ltd own the archives including the bjigs tooling moulds and most importantly the original DRAWINGS. Roger Andreason/Tim Colman ran this company from 1983 and are still minority shareholders. I hold the majority shareholding.
Andreason registered the logo/trademark in 1997 but this lapsed and Mr. Malkie registered this in 2000.
If anyone wants any further information then I will br more than happy to answer any query.
My B8 frames are made to original specification by ARCH MOTORS.

Chris Smith
Old 2 May 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2192566)   #24
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, to clarify (sorry for being thick also but I need these things in words of one syllable), what you are saying is that Chevron Cars Ltd (Chris Smith) owns the design rights and therefore the cars/ parts produced by this company are "real" Chevrons whilst Chevron Racing Ltd (Vin Malkie) owns the Logo and the cars/ parts produced here are not Chevrons but unauthorised copies?

Its a blunt question but I think it needs a blunt answer.
Old 3 May 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2193030)   #25
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Would there be an interest in this if copy/contiuation cars were banned or better still not thought of.?
Do we get an answer to the blunt question,probably not?