Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Aug 2021, 07:40 (Ref:4065035)   #1
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The non racing Glick thread. The don’t really know what to call it thread.

See Jim generally ****ing off the sim racing community without stopping to think that a huge chunk of Glickenhaus supporters are sim racers....well, probably ex-supporters. Not the smartest move in the popularity stakes.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Aug 2021, 08:45 (Ref:4065048)   #2
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I'm sure he doesn't think his drivers using simulators to learn the track or develop the car is cow poop.

I don't think it will matter too much though, he already has a "maverick" reputation and at this point people know what he stands for.

Clearly, sim racing isn't it! Don't expect to see any sim racing graduates in an SCG any time soon...

Last edited by J Jay; 3 Aug 2021 at 08:51.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 09:01 (Ref:4065052)   #3
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just seems kinda dim to me. Go around mentioning the chance to buy a shirt or get your name on the car, then **** off a big number of people who are the ones likely to do that.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 09:20 (Ref:4065053)   #4
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I agree in principle (I certainly disagree with Jim's comment), but:

1) Merch will be a way of making some money back, not financing the cars. It's not as if they have to sell shirts or space to get the cars to the grid.

2) There may be a lot of people who will stop rooting for SCG, but how many of them would have actually bought something in the first place?

3) There will be a select group of people who will wholeheartedly agree with him. They may even increase their admiration/consumption in response.

I'll leave it there, I don't want to take the thread too far off-track.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 09:24 (Ref:4065055)   #5
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't tell jim that very likely sauber used sims as well to develope 007 aero...
Old 3 Aug 2021, 11:12 (Ref:4065072)   #6
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
And still, people romanticize this team.

Try to get a car that runs for 3 hours without failure, Jim...
Old 3 Aug 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4065081)   #7
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I agree in principle (I certainly disagree with Jim's comment), but:

1) Merch will be a way of making some money back, not financing the cars. It's not as if they have to sell shirts or space to get the cars to the grid.

2) There may be a lot of people who will stop rooting for SCG, but how many of them would have actually bought something in the first place?

3) There will be a select group of people who will wholeheartedly agree with him. They may even increase their admiration/consumption in response.

I'll leave it there, I don't want to take the thread too far off-track.
Sim racing crowd does include a lot of people who like buying merchandise from companies, it wouldn't be much in the scale of producing a hypercar but I suspect it's still a reasonable chunk. Either way it will lose the admiration a lot of people have for the team.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 12:08 (Ref:4065083)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
And still, people romanticize this team.

Try to get a car that runs for 3 hours without failure, Jim...
Romanticise? No. Many of us just want them to do well.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 13:54 (Ref:4065112)   #9
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
See Jim generally ****ing off the sim racing community...
How so? What did I miss?
Old 3 Aug 2021, 14:00 (Ref:4065113)   #10
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
How so? What did I miss?
Posted on Twitter something about "Real racing is in real racing cars and starts when the flag drops, everything else is bulls***". Can't share it because I've joined Jim's ever growing list of blocked people for this:

"And this is a perfect example of how to annoy half your fanbase in one easy tweet"

Been a fan of the team in recent years, but that's on the wane with that "taking my ball home" attitude, not even like it was a particularly aggressive response.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 14:16 (Ref:4065115)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are plenty of people on here with similar views. Even within physical racing. Some can’t stop themselves moaning in every thread about the same thing because the cars are quite what they’d like. Some would even get all worked up when the wing mirrors are the wrong color.

I hadn’t read the tweet. But found it. https://twitter.com/glickenhaus/stat...367237632?s=21

If I was going to bother to tell someone they’re doing it wrong on Twitter I don’t think that is the post! I believe you start with Piers Morgan first.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4065120)   #12
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
If I was going to bother to tell someone they’re doing it wrong on Twitter I don’t think that is the post! I believe you start with Piers Morgan first.
But I don't give a toss about Piers Morgan, whereas I'd actually quite like Glickenhaus to do something good.

Seems to me that if you're going to say controversial things on Twitter then you shouldn't be so sensitive when you get some comments back, especially if those comments are just an observation rather than an actual attack.

There is some truth in the comment (for what some people spend on their PC and sim rig they could easily get a few seasons of sprints/hillclimbs or UK autocross), but it also misses out the fact that the sim rig people have gives them unlimited chances to race people for very little cost. It ain't the same, but it's the best a lot of people can get.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4065131)   #13
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I don't get the blocking thing. That said, even as a former simracer, a very avid one, I don't get why Jim's opinion of simracing, which I think is wrong, should get in the way of me enjoying what Glickenhaus does in physical racing. Why is that even a problem?

Would you still like Ferraris if you found out Enzo absolutely hated your favourite band?

I can sort of see why some people struggle to get over things like moral issues, like enjoying the work of an artist, who you know to be racist, for example, but why would someone's attitude to simracing be that big of a deal?
Old 3 Aug 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4065132)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
But I don't give a toss about Piers Morgan,…
Sensible.

Quote:
Seems to me that if you're going to say controversial things on Twitter then you shouldn't be so sensitive when you get some comments back, especially if those comments are just an observation rather than an actual attack.
But it was just straight and flippant criticism. Not really an engagement.

He can block you if he wants. Probably just wants something different from Twitter. Maybe he is missing out, maybe he isn’t. Ultimately he probably just can’t be bothered.

If you were at Goodwood, perhaps while he was showing the car, and he was saying how he was going real racing, would you have shouted back at him “you shouldn’t have said that, half you’re audience won’t like it”?

Quote:
There is some truth in the comment (for what some people spend on their PC and sim rig they could easily get a few seasons of sprints/hillclimbs or UK autocross), but it also misses out the fact that the sim rig people have gives them unlimited chances to race people for very little cost. It ain't the same, but it's the best a lot of people can get.
Yes, I agree.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 15:33 (Ref:4065133)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems some very strong views on here, some I agree with, some I don't

Both sides need to be careful how to engage, if you're just going to annoy him he's right to ignore or block you. He has enough to deal with as it is. He's trying to keep people updated on social media, nothing more from what I see. Just need to keep it civil or don't bother

Give him a chance, he's come a long way and he's entitled to his opinion. If you don't like it, try to not slag him off. Maybe he should have been more careful with his words, but both sides need to do their bit
Old 3 Aug 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4065143)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Why do some people try to spoil everything, Jim has been really good on here letting us know how things are going and has tried to include us in everything, he seemed a really nice guy when i spoke to him at Goodwood and i will be cheering for the teaam at le mans in 2 weeks, if all goes to plan. If you can't say anything nice on here go post on Pistonheads.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 16:10 (Ref:4065151)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't get the blocking thing. That said, even as a former simracer, a very avid one, I don't get why Jim's opinion of simracing, which I think is wrong, should get in the way of me enjoying what Glickenhaus does in physical racing. Why is that even a problem?

Would you still like Ferraris if you found out Enzo absolutely hated your favourite band?

I can sort of see why some people struggle to get over things like moral issues, like enjoying the work of an artist, who you know to be racist, for example, but why would someone's attitude to simracing be that big of a deal?

And I too have done quite a bit of simracing in the past. Whether or not I share Jim's view has naff all to do with whether I want to see him and his cars do well. I did simracing because I can't do the real thing. He can. Get over it people.....
Old 3 Aug 2021, 16:26 (Ref:4065161)   #18
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I'm not as up in arms as some people are, just thought it was the kind of remark which was going to annoy a lot of people. I didn't slag him or the team off, didn't even state my disagreement, just said that it was going to annoy a lot of Glickenhaus fans (which it has), and that's my only interaction with Glickenhaus on twitter other than liking or retweeting things about the Hypercar project, because I've been interested in it and excited to see the small guys take on the big boy manufacturers.

Jim is absolutely entitled to an opinion, but if you air that opinion then there's a chance that people with a different opinion will let you know that they don't agree. In particular when you're saying that something they put a lot of time into is meaningless, especially when they use that thing for enjoyment and for the benefit of their own mental health (and I know a lot of people who only got through the last year or so because of sim racing and the relationships they've made through it)

I've said my piece I'll draw a line under it now and hopefully we can got back to the proper cars and real life racing.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 08:01 (Ref:4065222)   #19
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don’t care about sim racing one bit and actually agree with the point, but a) blocking people who disagree from joining in with the fun and b) mocking younger fans for doing something they enjoy over “real racing” (a lot of people can’t even afford a road car!) AND c) doubling down and hiding replies is all just nasty.

Really sad. Thought this was going to be the garagist I could get behind. Turns out if you’re not in the clique, you’re out.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 08:08 (Ref:4065223)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I don’t care about sim racing one bit and actually agree with the point, but a) blocking people who disagree from joining in with the fun and b) mocking younger fans for doing something they enjoy over “real racing” (a lot of people can’t even afford a road car!) AND c) doubling down and hiding replies is all just nasty.

Really sad. Thought this was going to be the garagist I could get behind. Turns out if you’re not in the clique, you’re out.
This is my stance.

I don't really care about sim racing. But lets not be all closed gated. I kinda liked that Glick were one of the wee guys, taking it to the big constructors and fighting for recognition from the ACO, IMSA etc. So for the wee guys to exclude the even smaller guys doesn't sit right.

It should be a case of gates open, come on in! A lot of Glicks fans are the kind of young people who hang about on Twitter and play games. To exclude them in such a harsh way seems unwise, and frankly, just mean. And I say this as a Glick fan - I, like I suspect a few others here, have 1:43s of some of their cars.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4065228)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The social media furore over the comments (which I haven't seen) is Hamiltonesque in it's tone. Whatever Jim said, it is clear that it has given ammunition to the social media inhabitants who clearly don't like him and the fact that he is opinionated (lets face it, like the rest of us) is really neither here nor there. It is unfortunate though if replies have been blocked or hidden as that is bound to cause more annoyance than the original opinion.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 08:28 (Ref:4065231)   #22
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
This is my stance.

I don't really care about sim racing. But lets not be all closed gated. I kinda liked that Glick were one of the wee guys, taking it to the big constructors and fighting for recognition from the ACO, IMSA etc. So for the wee guys to exclude the even smaller guys doesn't sit right.

It should be a case of gates open, come on in! A lot of Glicks fans are the kind of young people who hang about on Twitter and play games. To exclude them in such a harsh way seems unwise, and frankly, just mean. And I say this as a Glick fan - I, like I suspect a few others here, have 1:43s of some of their cars.
Totally agreed.

Such a shame that weeks before the big race, and this is what we’re talking about. Suspect Glickenhaus has actually persuaded some people not to bother with the big race, by closing the gates on the largest gateway to the young understanding our sport.

I’m 27, Le Mans obsessed, and the only friends of mine who have a clue what I’m on about have come across it on a games console.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 08:29 (Ref:4065232)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this is the daftest cancellation for a long time.

i get people preferring not to support them, your choice guys that’s cool, but everone harbours some views that are going to be wildly offensive to someone. especially about sim racing. the way some folk (nobody here) chase this ideal person to support and make a fuss when someone turns out to not be 100% perfect is just wild.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 08:35 (Ref:4065234)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Totally agree. Hell, I've been a simracer in the past, I was even a member of a Ten Tenths league many moons ago. I watched about 15 hours of last year's Virtual Le Mans and if Jim dislikes it, it would probably have best been kept to himself, but it doesn't make the slightest difference to my support for the team and the cars. Perhaps I'm not young and impressionable enough....
Old 4 Aug 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4065237)   #25
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
It’s not the views that’s the issue. It’s the unwillingness to debate that is. All the cancelling is coming from one party, cancelling the chance for some to even put forward the other point of view by blocking and hiding replies from people who are being civil and just trying to have a discussion.

That’s what’s put my back up. And I agree with him.