Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Oct 2021, 09:15 (Ref:4077444)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Turkish Grand Prix 2021: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 16 of 22

It is somewhat unfortunate that the Turkish Grand Prix has yet to generate a large following in that country, as the Istanbul Park circuit offers a thrilling ride and quickly became universally popular, with many proclaiming it Hermann Tilke's best track upon its first Grand Prix in 2005. Fast, replete with intriguing elevation shifts and boasting the behemoth that is the four-apex Turn 8, it was a loss when it was dropped from the calendar after 2011, and was a welcome returnee last season.

The history

Then-McLaren racer Kimi Räikkönen won the inaugural outing in 2005, while team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya finished 3rd after running 2nd when he collided with Jordan's Tiago Monteiro. Michael Schumacher and Mark Webber also clashed. Fernando Alonso was runner-up in the Renault. Montoya's fastest lap still stands as the quickest tour of the track so far.

The next year, Sebastian Vettel made his race weekend debut for BMW in Friday practice and six seconds in, sped in the pitlane, for which he received a $1000 fine. Ferrari's Felipe Massa took his first pole position and converted it into his debut victory, while team-mate Schumacher came home 3rd, right on Alonso's heels.

Massa won again from pole in 2007, as team-mate Räikkönen was 2nd and Alonso 3rd for McLaren. Hamilton was 5th after a puncture. In 2008, he was the filling in the Ferrari sandwich, with Massa making it a hat-trick of Ferrari wins and poles, and Räikkönen 3rd.

2009 was Jenson Button's world championship-winning season and the Brawn driver took his seventh win in six races, but what would be his last of the year, after pole-sitter Vettel ran wide on Lap 1. The Red Bull driver eventually finished 3rd, with team-mate Webber in 2nd.

Mark Webber led Lewis Hamilton from pole in 2010, and the McLaren driver dropped behind Vettel when a wheel was not fitted correctly at a pit stop. Webber was following Red Bull instrcutions and conserving fuel when Vettel, ignoring similar guidance, ran a higher engine mode and caught up with his team-mate, eventually tangling with him at Turn 12 as he attempted a pass, as Vettel swept back across in front of him. Although Sebastian was out, Webber recovered to 3rd, behind Lewis Hamilton and McLaren team-mate Jenson Button. A brief rain shower amounted to little. Hamilton had been told by his engineer that Button would not pass, as Button was conserving fuel, although he did and Hamilton then had to re-pass him. Hamilton came home first from Button in 2nd and Webber in 3rd.

Red Bull somewhat made amends in 2011, with Vettel leading home Webber and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso. The race was then dropped from the calendar when funding to pay the new race fee did not materialise.

In the heart of the pandemic, Turkey returned last year in an exciting calendar of races and Lance Stroll took pole position in the wet in his Racing Point. The Grand Prix started wet, although drivers soon switched from wet tyres to intermediates. Stroll held onto the lead, while team-mate Sergio Pérez moved up from 3rd to 2nd. Bottas damaged his steering in a clash with Esteban Ocon, which left him with a tricky car for the rest of the race. Hamilton was up to 3rd but was passed by Vettel as he slid off the track and rejoined down in 6th, where he had started.

Stroll pitted for new intermediates on Lap 36, after his team saw that some front wing damage was causing downforce loss and affecting the tyres. He dropped to 9th and went on to finish there. Hamilton won, driving on very old and worn intermediates. Pérez came home 2nd with his tyres in a similar state, while Vettel was 3rd for Ferrari, making his final podium appearance with the team. Hamilton's victory coincided with his seventh world championship.

This year's Turkish Grand Prix was due to replace Canada, but COVID restrictions meant the cancellation of the Grand Prix, before it was later reinstated as the replacement for the Singapore Grand Prix.

This year, the dry weather compounds have changed from C1, C2 and C3 to C2, C3 and C4. Lewis Hamilton has changed his ICE and exhaust and having surpassed his limit of ICEs, will take a 10-place grid penalty. Carlos Sainz will have a power unit change and therefore start from the back of the grid.

Turkish Grand Prix trivia

Felipe Massa is the most successful driver here, with 3 wins.

The only other driver with multiple wins is Lewis Hamilton, who has 2.

Both Felipe Massa and Lance Stroll have taken maiden poles in Turkey, with Massa going on to a hat trick of poles at the circuit and a hat trick of wins at the same time.

The furthest back anyone has picked up a podium from has been Sebastian Vettel in 2020, going from 11th to 3rd.

Vettel also took the least time anyone has ever done so to have an incident which led to a fine - for speeding in the pit lane just after the start of the first free practice session on his F1 weekend debut.

In 2011, there were 82 pit stops, a record in a dry race.

The track

Circuit length: 5.338km
Number of laps: 58
Race distance: 309.396km
Race Lap Record: 1:24.770 (Juan Pablo Montoya - McLaren-Mercedes - 2005)
Dry weather tyre compounds: C2, C3 & C4
First Turkish Grand Prix: 2005

Join the fun in the Predictions Contest and Fantasy F1:

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156584

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156053

Last edited by Born Racer; 8 Oct 2021 at 09:39.
Old 8 Oct 2021, 09:19 (Ref:4077445)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hamilton has apparently taken a new engine, so will start with a 10 place grid penalty. Can he limit the damage of the grid penalty as well as Verstappen did last time out?

This means that Red Bull will expect Perez to step up to the plate and do what Bottas didn't and take points off Hamilton or at least inconvenience him in some way.
Old 8 Oct 2021, 09:31 (Ref:4077448)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Hamilton has apparently taken a new engine, so will start with a 10 place grid penalty. Can he limit the damage of the grid penalty as well as Verstappen did last time out?
I guess that is the plan - the 2020 race saw places 3 through 5 taken by drivers starting outside the top ten.
Old 8 Oct 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4077453)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the intro BR. Turkey is a great circuit, if not quite at the Suzuka/Spa level in my view. Shame the locals ain’t that much interested as you say

Gonna be interesting with Hamilton taking that penalty, what can he salvage from the race?
Old 8 Oct 2021, 12:52 (Ref:4077466)   #5
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Kimi Räikkönen won the inaugural outing in 2005 Fernando Alonso was runner-up
The next year, Sebastian Vettel made his race weekend debut..

All still driving in F1
Old 8 Oct 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4077468)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thank you for the intro BR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Kimi Räikkönen won the inaugural outing in 2005 Fernando Alonso was runner-up
The next year, Sebastian Vettel made his race weekend debut..

All still driving in F1
Cool. I love that.

For some reason, I seem to like drivers far more post their championship days.

Soon all 3 will have left F1 behind.
Old 8 Oct 2021, 14:57 (Ref:4077482)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent intro as ever.

I would have put Hamilton as favourite to win, having won twice before, the last time being last year. However, with the grid penalty I'm not so sure. I think this could play into Verstappen and RBR's hands.
Old 8 Oct 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4077487)   #8
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Does anyone like the one off Honda livery on the Red Bull this weekend:-

In unrelated news, Verstappen struggling for pace.....
Old 8 Oct 2021, 16:05 (Ref:4077495)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Isn't that an AlphaTauri?
Old 8 Oct 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4077511)   #10
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Mercedes look very quick so far. I wouldn't count out Hamilton winning the race from 11th on the grid, after being let through by pole sitter and long-time leader Bottas.
Old 8 Oct 2021, 20:30 (Ref:4077523)   #11
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It seems like the new paint job has had an unfortunate effect on the tyre wear pattern. In related news, Pirelli have also debuted their new logo on this car
Old 8 Oct 2021, 21:37 (Ref:4077530)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Yep, that is very alike
Old 9 Oct 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4077606)   #13
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Pole position for Valtteri Bottas! Hopefully he can convert that into a win tomorrow. Stars of qualifying are Leclerc, Gasly, Alonso and Schumacher for me.
Old 9 Oct 2021, 15:12 (Ref:4077616)   #14
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Pole position for Valtteri Bottas! Hopefully he can convert that into a win tomorrow.
Old 9 Oct 2021, 23:13 (Ref:4077677)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Thanks for another great intro BR.

Really pleased that the surface has been sorted out - appears to be offering the teams some challenges on tyre selection. So far RB not looking competitive but the race may offer more in that respect.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 00:18 (Ref:4077691)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Liked that graphic they used for the on boards. Lot of information there without it being intrusive. First time I think i have seen it.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 07:57 (Ref:4077728)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

Merc untouchable in qualifying. Gonna be interesting to see what Lewis does from the midfield today. Bottas big chance of getting a win before he leaves Merc is now

Good to see Alonso up there, first top 5 since Japan 2014! And well done Mick Schumacher for getting into Q2 on merit
Old 10 Oct 2021, 08:15 (Ref:4077734)   #18
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
very clever tactic of ferrari to send sainz out to push danni out of q2. as a dan fan i didnt like it
Old 10 Oct 2021, 08:22 (Ref:4077735)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Bottas big chance of getting a win before he leaves Merc is now
Yes absolutely - there are a few around him who will put up a challenge, the start may prove crucial.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4077736)   #20
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
If it's wet, then I can still see Hamilton winning this.

There I have put what is in my head down in writing. Be gentle with your mocking later!
Old 10 Oct 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4077747)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
very clever tactic of ferrari to send sainz out to push danni out of q2. as a dan fan i didnt like it
When your main competitor in the WCC is McLaren, it seemed eminently sensible to me.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 10:45 (Ref:4077748)   #22
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It allowed McLaren to justify giving him an engine change for the race and he will now start rear of grid, so he has a new engine "in the bank" to take him through to the end of season.
That makes sense. Use it when the drop is not so much of a penalty to take due to his poor qualy.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 12:02 (Ref:4077757)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It looks like they have a decent crowd, despite the weather.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 12:05 (Ref:4077758)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A clean start, apart from Alonso, who spins off but rejoins further down the field.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 12:16 (Ref:4077759)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Lewis finally gets Tsunoda.