Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Oct 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2553684)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MGCC, Snetterton, 3/4 October, 2009

An excellent day's racing yesterday (I'm not going back today - family commitments!) with good grids, but I thought it was a surprisingly low spectator turnout. Still trying to get the dust out of my eyes; a very strong wind following a long dry spell was driving great dust clouds off the fields across the circuit, a phenomenon I don't recall seeing at Snet before. Apart from the occasional visibility issues for the drivers, it apparently made the track interesting, and one driver told me that he thought that it was costing most competitors at least one second a lap. However, there were very few spins and offs and the drivers at this meeting set a really good example of how to race closely but cleanly; that was certainly so from where I was watching. I think that worth mentioning in the light of certain incidents this year and the discussion concerning codes of conduct.

Will do my usual pictorial review, in due course.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2554958)   #2
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
really sorry we didnt meet up John . as you say i thought the driving in the relay was superb .I had some cracking dices with several very diferent cars all done with respect and consideration .well done everybody.
Sat was really good for me as it was the second race for me in the Jag after my incident at Silverstone ( Spa was a good shakedown ) and in the Thoroughbreds I managed to break a lap record that was set in 2001 , a great weekend and a good one to finish my season on .
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:04 (Ref:2554964)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done for that Jerry,I didn't know you were there enjoying the desert conditions as well.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 08:07 (Ref:2555687)   #4
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
Certainly was Terry . Thoroughbred on Saturday and Team 9 (Dolly Mixtures) on Sunday in the relay . 1hr 40mins in the relay, oh for power steering.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2555704)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Power steering is for girl's! Never seen so many people with artificial tan's.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2557405)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pit & Paddock

A few P & P pics to kick this off. At this meeting, a year ago, Rob Spencer had that very dramatic roll, so it was good to see him back this year ..... with two cars!
Attached Thumbnails
2009MGCCSnet5Oct 005wb.jpg   2009MGCCSnet5Oct 012wb.jpg   2009MGCCSnet5Oct 030wb.jpg  

2009MGCCSnet5Oct 037wb.jpg   2009MGCCSnet5Oct 041wb.jpg   2009MGCCSnet5Oct 063wb.jpg  

Old 9 Oct 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2557569)   #7
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Power steering is for girl's! Never seen so many people with artificial tan's.
Why didnt you come round for a cup of tea?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 17:17 (Ref:2557627)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
Why didnt you come round for a cup of tea?
Possibly because of,A] Didn't know you were there,or B] didn't know where you were. If I had of had these two pieces of info,I would have done Jerry,would have been good to have met up again.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2558190)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Congratulations to Chris Acklam who won overall honours in the Thoroughbred Sportscars Championship and Jerry K for class C overall winner. Both decided at this meeting.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2559576)   #10
tonylees
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
tonylees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, congratulations to Chris for a superb season in the t/breds.
Good to see Jerry out in the Jag again terrorising those pesky Mogs.
Cheers, Tony
Old 12 Oct 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2560036)   #11
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
SSSHHHH boys , we dont want everybody to discover what a cracking series we have .
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2562030)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 1 - Moss-Europe BCV8

20 starters; 14 finishers.

Over 20 minutes, this championship is not just for V8s, but all MGB models. The Class D V8 cars, though, are extremely quick and the leading pair completed 16 laps in that time. The first pic shows the field getting away at the start pretty cleanly and when they returned, Paul Sibley had made a superb start to take the lead crossing the line at the end of lap 1, many lengths clear from Adrian Beer and Joe Parrington. The first 4 have already gone through, and for pic 2 we pick up the battle for Class B honours between Tom Jones (35), Jonnie Wheeler (31) and James Wheeler (30). Jones was to take this win and 4th overall. Next pic is of Sibley (96) leading but now tracked by Beer (97). Sibley held off the quicker Beer for several laps and their battle took them away from a lonely Parrington. Eventually, Beer made the move and took the lead but it got worse for Sibley who pottered into the pits to retire after 13 laps. this promoted Parrington to 2nd albeit finishing over 30 seconds behind the flying Beer. They were the only two to complete the 16 laps. Pic 4 is Jonnie Wheeler (31) with flapping wing; he pitted to have it taped up but this lasted only a few laps but he went on to finish 7th, anyway. Pic 5 is Victoria Stones demonstrating roll; she retired after 6 laps. The final pic is of Phil Walker in his class C V8. He too had a lonely race but finished 3rd overall and won his class.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2249wl9.jpg   IMG_2257wl9.jpg   IMG_2304wl9.jpg  

IMG_2337wl9.jpg   IMG_2376wl9.jpg   IMG_2468wl9.jpg  

Old 15 Oct 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2562054)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't let John Ruston see that post.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2567823)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - Peter Best Insurance Challenge

32 starters; 27 finishers.

This championship is for any MG spread over 5 classes. The race was supposed to be over 20 minutes although I note that the winner was shown the flag at just over 17 minutes. He was Simon Cripps in the MGB GT V8 (66) seen here exiting Coram on the first lap. He was never headed although Simon Hutchinson did his best to hang on in his Midget (43 - see pic 4), but finished over 16 seconds behind. The battle for 3rd was altogether closer with 4 cars dicing - see pic 2 - Blain Neaves (7) finishing in that position but pressed very closely by Ollie Neaves (4). Pic 3 is of Jeffrey Marsden in his MG TC (36) in which he finished 26th, whilst John Philip Bussey was 21st in his TC (2). Unfortunately, the MGC roadster (55) of Niall Campbell was retired after completing 9 laps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2706wl9.jpg   IMG_2765wl9.jpg   IMG_2787wl9.jpg  

IMG_2790wl9.jpg   IMG_2837wl9.jpg   IMG_2879wl9.jpg  

Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2567831)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - Peter Best Insurance Challenge (continued)

I don't know whether John Wregitt (5) got sucked into late braking by the leader lapping him or he was simply getting out the way, but this was the result. He finsihed 19th. 37 is the BGT V8 of Barry Holmes who finished 5th. 57 is Rob Spencer's V8 (9th) and he is followed here by the TF (97) of Jonathan Harmer who has just been lapped, and who finished 25th. Final pic is of Sam Polley who finished 12th in his B roadster (63).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2890wl9.jpg   IMG_2898wl9.jpg   IMG_2902wl9.jpg  

IMG_2907wl9.jpg  
Old 31 Oct 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2572907)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - Zero Exhaust Thoroughbred Sports Cars

33 starters; 29 finishers

A 20 minute race, it was dominated by Morgan Plus 8s with Jeremy Knight striving valiantly to hold onto 4 of them, in his Jaguar D type Replica. The lead initially was held by Peter Henry (96) and he is seen in a disappointingly blurred pic here in front of the pack coming through Coram on the first lap. He was to finish 3rd, a position held by Knight in this picture with Chris Acklam looking to threaten on the inside. Next pic shows a midfield group led by Peter Barnard in his Elva Courier (26) and the battling TR pair of Roy Chamberlain (39 - TR3B) and Steve Chapman (35 - TR4). Chamberlain was to finish 16th but Chapman clearly had problems since his final placing of 28th did not reflect his earlier pace. Next pic is of Barnard on his own; he finished 17th. Kevin Swann retired his MGB roadster (23) early on. Another shot of the leaders, with Acklam up to 2nd chased by Tony Lees, and Jeremy Knight now at the back of the Morgan pack. Peter Dubsky retired his D type replica (76) after 5 laps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2950wl9.jpg   IMG_2958wl9.jpg   IMG_2978wl9.jpg  

IMG_2979wl9.jpg   IMG_3021wl9.jpg   IMG_3033wl9.jpg  

Old 31 Oct 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2572915)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - Zero Exhaust Thoroughbred Sports Cars (continued)

38 is the MGA Roadster of Neil Cawthorn who finished 21st, whilst 64 is the Triumph TR6 of Josh Files who dropped back from the front 5 but was well clear of the rest of the field so had a relatively lonely race to 6th. Roger Connell finished 7th in his TVR Griffith (97), a car that he has owned and raced since 1982. Meanwhile Acklam (3) had taken the lead but was being pressed by Lees (87) who is seen here getting alongside a defensive Acklam into the Bombhole. Lees did eventually get by to win. 83 is the TR6 of Jeff Hooper, who finished 26th. The last pic is a rather poor but my only surviving shot of Jeremy Knight (58) who finished 5th.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3062wl9.jpg   IMG_3080wl9.jpg   IMG_3255wl9.jpg  

IMG_3109wl9.jpg   IMG_3114wl9.jpg   IMG_3249wl9.jpg  

Old 5 Nov 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2576182)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Equipe GTS

26 starters; 21 finishers

A 30 minute race for pre 66 sports cars, this is always good fun, with its mix of mainly MGBs, Triumph TRs and TVRs. Mark Ashworth was on pole in his TVR 1800S (96) but it was John Andon's TR4 (6) who took the lead with the MGB of Jeremy Stock (46), Pete Foster in his TR4 (77) and Ashworth in pursuit. The leaders have already gone through on lap 1 as Dominic Spicer (51 - TR4), Andrew Somerville (88 - TR4) and John Hatton (81 - MGB) battle it out down the order. Somerville was to get the best of it, finishing 14th, with Spicer, 15th, and Hatton, having dropped away from them in 16th place. As those three head into Coram, through the Bombhole goes Mark Ellis (57 - MGA Twin cam) and Pete Bolderson (54 - MGB). Ellis made good ground capturing several places to finish 9th, whilst Bolderson was 19th. Pic 3 is of the Lotus Elite (75) of Pat Arculus who retired after 11 laps. Pic 4 is of the MG Midget (68) of Richard McKoen who finished 17th, but was winner of Class 2 (1151cc - 1400cc) a much depleted class, since 6 had entered, 3 started and 2 finished. Trevor Kemp failed to finish in his Elva Courier (40), and the final pic of this post is the only surviving shot of 3rd place Andon (46).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3310wl9.jpg   IMG_3313wl9.jpg   IMG_3317wl9.jpg  

IMG_3332wl7.jpg   IMG_3362wl9.jpg   IMG_3429wl9.jpg  

Old 5 Nov 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2576191)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Equipe GTS (continued)

10 is the MGA of Terry Bryant who finished 21st, whilst 96 is Mark Ashworth who despite being on pole, and setting fastest lap in the race had to make do with 4th at the flag. Fellow TVR (64 - Grantura) driver, Colin Elstrop was 8th. Pic 4 is of Andon (6). He led the whole way and took the chequered flag. However, his start was deemed 'jumped' so a time penalty dropped him to 2nd place in the results. So the winner was Pete Foster (77) seen here lapping Spicer in the Esses. Foster had been in 4th for much of the race but a strong push towards the end of the race took him passed both Ashworth and Andon, to take 2nd on the track. Final pic is of the Triumph Spitfire (52) of Helen Elstrop who finished 18th.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3455wl9.jpg   IMG_3471wl9.jpg   IMG_3475wl9.jpg  

IMG_3530wl9.jpg   IMG_3534wl9.jpg   IMG_3554wl9.jpg  

Old 6 Nov 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2577174)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 6 - MG Metro Cup

27 starters; 23 finishers.

Sponsored by Drayton Manor Park, this isn't what most would call historic racing, although I guess Metros are pretty old by now. When was the last one made? So just a short post to cover this 20 minute race. The race was a runaway victory for Paul Ashton, winning by nearly 23 seconds. 2nd was disputed for a while but Tony Howe's turbo version (7 see - pic 1) was passed by James Dunkley (69 - see pic 2) and held it to the end. Pic 3 shows David Heasman locking up on his way to 11th. Pic 4 shows the winner, whilst 10 is Miles Gentle who finished 13th. Last pic is of Thomas Sanderson (19) who retired.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3775wl9.jpg   IMG_3776wl9.jpg   IMG_3785wl9.jpg  

IMG_3794wl9.jpg   IMG_3850wl9.jpg   IMG_3869wl9.jpg  

Old 9 Nov 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2578874)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Power Torque Morgan Challenge

25 starters; 24 finishers.

A 30 minute race which had little historic content in it, although the Morgan shape is decidely historic, is it not? The early part of the race was entertaining providing a good lead dice between, Tony Lees (87), Andrew Thompson (66) and Chris Acklam (13) all in Plus 8s, with Lees generally in the lead.

Pic 1 is of Michal Pavlik in his 4/4 (37), a genuine 1964 car I believe, so definitely historic. He came last in this company. Pic 2 is of Thompson defending his shortlived lead into the Russell Chicane. Lees soon re-established himself at the front. Tucked in behind is Acklam who had briefly held 2nd early on. 22 is 'Black Sheep', Barry Sumner's early post war bodyshell into which is squeezed a V8; he came 15th. James Paterson's car (92) is of the historic variety as he is an occasional competitor in the HSCCs 70's Road Sports series. He finished 7th in his Plus 8. Lees (87) always seemed just to have the edge over Thompson (66) and he won by 1.2 seconds, whilst Acklam (13), a man apparently free of superstition, did not quite have the ultimate pace of the leaders, and dropped back but retained 3rd, still a long way clear of 4th.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3956wl9.jpg   IMG_3980wl9.jpg   IMG_3999wl9.jpg  

IMG_4031wl9.jpg   IMG_4052wl9.jpg   IMG_4055wl9.jpg  

Old 9 Nov 2009, 23:17 (Ref:2579229)   #22
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cracking photographs John . I was really pleased with the jags performance as this was only my second race ( Spa the week before was the shakedown ) after the repairs from the incident at Silverstone at the MGCC weekend . It actually went well enough to break a 9 year old class lap record . A good weekend to end the season with .
Old 10 Nov 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2579361)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Nice pics and report of the Morgan race, John. I was watching at Russell so must have been nearby! The lead battle was definitely entertaining for a while, Barry Sumner's Flat Rad 'Black Sheep' is wonderful, and James Paterson's +8 is a very early 60's Moss Box car which runs sometimes in HSCC Historic Roadsports. Plus of course it won the special Centenary Tucker Trophy race at Brands this year
Old 10 Nov 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2579365)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Don't think it's early 60's Mike as it has the Rover V8 unless that was fitted later. When was the first plus 8 built?
Old 10 Nov 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2579371)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Don't think it's early 60's Mike as it has the Rover V8 unless that was fitted later. When was the first plus 8 built?
My bad puncuation John! What I meant was 'a very early, 60s car'. It is '68 or '69 (see reg no)- perhaps James can post & give the precise year!