Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Mar 2024, 16:28 (Ref:4200503)   #276
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sounds like a fleet car.
Nah, not with a 1ltr 3 pot engine ...

(No matter where it is.)
Old 8 Mar 2024, 16:37 (Ref:4200505)   #277
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
This'll exercise a few people:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1...98359ce5d3bcbe

If its behind a paywall ill cut and paste but here's the headline

Police ram runaway electric Jaguar after ‘brakes fault’

Police were forced to ram an out-of-control electric car to bring it to a stop after an apparent fault left the driver “unable to brake” on the M62
Apparently the same chap in the same car had the same problem at the back end of last year.

Which is strange.

Also this - Albeit it's from The Sun so ....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/26492381...es-76k-jaguar/
Old 9 Mar 2024, 16:45 (Ref:4200604)   #278
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wearing my grumpy old man hat, It royally "pees" me off how manufacturers/producers of everyday items are, seemingly, taking advantage of the high rates of inflation that we have endured.

Today, I did my weekly shop in one of the local major supermarkets, and included a household item produced by one of the multi-national companies that I purchase about once a month. Over the last year, it's price has gone up by about 50%, which one has to accept if you want that product.

However, having just looked at the item, I have realised that they have reduced the contents from 300ml to 185ml, but the supermarket are still charging the same as I paid last time for the larger quantity.

Knowing supermarkets as I do and appreciating the ultra slim markups that they have to work to - yes, they do make large profits, but it is usually only 1% net even during good years - I would like to think that it's not them making hay whilst the sun shines; well not that extent. No, it the manufacturers that are raking it in at our expense. Yet it is always the retailers that are investigated for their sales practices, but rarely, if ever, the manufacturers/producers.

And that it just one example; so be careful out there.
Old 9 Mar 2024, 19:49 (Ref:4200641)   #279
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Commonly known as shrinkflation.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 10:01 (Ref:4200683)   #280
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Wearing my grumpy old man hat, It royally "pees" me off how manufacturers/producers of everyday items are, seemingly, taking advantage of the high rates of inflation that we have endured.

Today, I did my weekly shop in one of the local major supermarkets, and included a household item produced by one of the multi-national companies that I purchase about once a month. Over the last year, it's price has gone up by about 50%, which one has to accept if you want that product.

However, having just looked at the item, I have realised that they have reduced the contents from 300ml to 185ml, but the supermarket are still charging the same as I paid last time for the larger quantity.

Knowing supermarkets as I do and appreciating the ultra slim markups that they have to work to - yes, they do make large profits, but it is usually only 1% net even during good years - I would like to think that it's not them making hay whilst the sun shines; well not that extent. No, it the manufacturers that are raking it in at our expense. Yet it is always the retailers that are investigated for their sales practices, but rarely, if ever, the manufacturers/producers.

And that it just one example; so be careful out there.
One of the biggest problems for businesses has been the rising cost of energy bills .https://www.ft.com/content/8463707c-...8-058a63e7898d
The 4 times increase is due to the NET ZERO insanity , and has led to hundreds of small businesses closing , [ pubs etc ], and has also caused large price increases for even large companies .
Steel making for example has been completely driven out of the UK along with lots of others industries , but mostly don,t get much mention in the media .
Old 10 Mar 2024, 11:16 (Ref:4200685)   #281
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
One of the biggest problems for businesses has been the rising cost of energy bills .https://www.ft.com/content/8463707c-...8-058a63e7898d
The 4 times increase is due to the NET ZERO insanity , and has led to hundreds of small businesses closing , [ pubs etc ], and has also caused large price increases for even large companies .
Steel making for example has been completely driven out of the UK along with lots of others industries , but mostly don,t get much mention in the media .
You are forgetting the huge benefits that Net Zero will bring to us all, just think how healthy it will be breathing good, clean, fresh air as you step out of your mud hut in the morning, ready to take your bow and arrow to go hunting. Naturally there will no meat, as cows produce methane, which is harmful to the atmosphere, so it might be better to till the soil, planting cabbages, and carrots for a healthy lifestyle instead. Your neighbours, Stop Oil, will be wondering how to get around without cars, bikes, trains etc, but will soon find some other way to disrupt peoples daily existence.
An extra benefit will be that some nations will no longer have the power to hold the civilised world to ransom over fuel supplies. No doubt there are many more advantages I have missed out, but I'm sure you can now see the need for a Zero Net - for catching fish?
Old 10 Mar 2024, 11:43 (Ref:4200694)   #282
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
You are forgetting the huge benefits that Net Zero will bring to us all, just think how healthy it will be breathing good, clean, fresh air as you step out of your mud hut in the morning, ready to take your bow and arrow to go hunting. Naturally there will no meat, as cows produce methane, which is harmful to the atmosphere, so it might be better to till the soil, planting cabbages, and carrots for a healthy lifestyle instead. Your neighbours, Stop Oil, will be wondering how to get around without cars, bikes, trains etc, but will soon find some other way to disrupt peoples daily existence.
An extra benefit will be that some nations will no longer have the power to hold the civilised world to ransom over fuel supplies. No doubt there are many more advantages I have missed out, but I'm sure you can now see the need for a Zero Net - for catching fish?
Yes , but your mud hut will be washed away by all the flooding we will get .Along with the drought they forecast .
But at least you wont have to worry about the snow ,because they forecast we will not get any more from about 20 years ago
Old 10 Mar 2024, 13:07 (Ref:4200703)   #283
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

That may account for some products, however the product that I mentioned was actually produced in one of the EU countries although that country is not highlighted on the packaging. As the article that you linked to is behind a paywall, I have not been able to read it so am not aware what was written.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 13:19 (Ref:4200705)   #284
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
That may account for some products, however the product that I mentioned was actually produced in one of the EU countries although that country is not highlighted on the packaging. As the article that you linked to is behind a paywall, I have not been able to read it so am not aware what was written.
Here is a link . Even the BBC admits energy costs have gone gone up by huge amounts .https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62727373
It is hitting all businesses from small to very big companies .
Old 10 Mar 2024, 13:43 (Ref:4200706)   #285
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Same here, Arcelor became Arcelormittal and now steel prices are set once or may be twice a year, coming out from an office located far away from Europ.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 13:53 (Ref:4200708)   #286
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Presumably the local UK agent or handler has also added costs so not necessarily a EU problem.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 14:15 (Ref:4200709)   #287
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Presumably the local UK agent or handler has also added costs so not necessarily a EU problem.

Yes, handling fees will have contributed but this huge corporation have been bringing in multiple products on a daily basis for decades so that was already incorporated in it's pricing. And I must point out that I wasn't pointing a finger at the EU; I have no problem with European manufacturing, having a number of facilities myself in the 70s and 80s.

Which leads me onto my reply to Tel. This country has been striving to be a high wage economy since the 70s, which is why I stopped investing in UK manufacturing towards the end of that decade, and instead started looking in earnest overseas. By the mid 80s, about 70% of my company's sales was from goods manufactured outside of the UK, which is also why I used to spend over 6 months a year travelling to Europe and the Far East.

So it comes as no surprise to me that we can no longer afford to manufacture much here. As I say, it's nothing new and it matters not which political party is in power. And it's why my son who is in Japan is having a really hard time trying to convince Japanese companies to invest further in the UK. This is what he has done pretty successfully for the last 20 years, but currently it's almost impossible, so he tells me - and that's also what his senior partner at his old firm confirmed to him just a few weeks ago when they tried to get him to rejoin the firm.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 20:59 (Ref:4200741)   #288
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As I say, it's nothing new and it matters not which political party is in power. And it's why my son who is in Japan is having a really hard time trying to convince Japanese companies to invest further in the UK. This is what he has done pretty successfully for the last 20 years, but currently it's almost impossible, so he tells me - and that's also what his senior partner at his old firm confirmed to him just a few weeks ago when they tried to get him to rejoin the firm.
As you rightly point out, there are many factors that are contributing to the rising prices that we are (nearly) all experiencing. To blame it on the measures being put in place to deal with emissions is highlighting just a minor contributor, even if the need for these measures is disputed.

The below factors are from early 2022, before a not insignificant event in the east of Europe challenged things even further.

Goods shortages
Consumers stuck at home during lockdown splashed out on household goods and home improvements because they couldn't go to restaurants or on holiday. Manufacturers in places such as Asia - many of which faced shutdowns due to Covid restrictions - have struggled to keep up with demand since then. It's led to shortages of materials such as plastic, concrete and steel, driving up prices. And there's a shortage of microchips, which are vital components in cars, computers and other household goods.

Shipping costs
Global shipping companies - which move goods around the world - have been overwhelmed by surging demand after the pandemic. It's meant retailers have had to pay a lot more to get those goods into stores. As a result, prices have been passed on to consumers. Sending a single 40ft container from Asia to Europe cost $17,000 (£12,480) in 2021 - 10 times more than the year before, when it was $1,500 (£1,101).

Rising wages
Many people quit the workforce or changed jobs during the pandemic.
As a result companies are having to put up wages or offer signing-on bonuses to attract and retain staff. McDonald's and Amazon are offering hiring bonuses ranging from $200 to $1,000. Those extra employer costs are again being passed on to consumers.

Climate impact
Extreme weather in many parts of the world has contributed to inflation.
Global oil supplies took a hit from hurricanes Ida and Nicholas passing through the Gulf of Mexico and damaging US oil infrastructure. And problems meeting the demand for microchips were worsened after a fierce winter storm closed major factories in Texas.

Rising energy and petrol prices
Oil prices slumped at the start of the pandemic, but demand has rocketed back since. The price of gas has also shot up, leaving people around the world with eye-watering central heating bills. Demand from Asia has driven up prices, along with a cold winter in Europe last year [20/21], which depleted gas reserves.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 21:43 (Ref:4200751)   #289
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

The basic problem for the future, on that no politicians are willing to discuss, is that human success in the past 200 years, but especially the last 100 years, has relied upon cheap energy from relatively easily accessible resources.

Net Zero seems like a way to persuade people that they need to drop the use of oil, gas and coal for ecological reasons when in reality inexpensive supplies are becoming scarcer and there is no fiscally operable alternative of any sort to provide people with some sort of "income" that can support the higher prices needed AND provide for the expectations of the masses.

If the masses cannot afford the energy sources that are still available, the energy market collapses after a short period of high prices and falling demand.

The surviving populations either end up back working the land as was the case for 90% of the population 400 years ago, or try to move elsewhere. In other words, migrate. Just like in the old days.

That's tricky (at scale) on an island that lacks the extent of forests that once made it possible to build wooden boats to go trading with the world. They might have to wait a few centuries for suitable trees to grow.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 23:54 (Ref:4200763)   #290
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Ship fire in the Atlantic leads to lawsuits
The car carrier had 3,965 vehicles onboard. This included models from Bentley, Porsche, Lamborghini, and Audi.
The sunken vehicles were estimated to be worth around £124 million, and the cost of the ship is additional to this figure, according to the moto.pl service.
Nearly two years on, the high-profile case has resurfaced due to two new lawsuits being filed.
"The first lawsuit was directed at Porsche. It was initiated by the ship's operator – Mitsui OSK Lines, in partnership with insurer – Allianz. The reason? The fire reportedly began with an electric Porsche that spontaneously ignited, without any apparent cause," reports the industry service.
"The second lawsuit was lodged against the Volkswagen Group. Mitsui OSK Lines and Allianz are accusing the German conglomerate of hiding information about the risks related to transporting electric vehicles,"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Mar 2024, 00:16 (Ref:4200766)   #291
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If commonsense about energy and the environment along with child slavery issues can’t stop the headllong rush to EV’s then losing money might lol.
Old 14 Mar 2024, 12:20 (Ref:4201214)   #292
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Apparently the same chap in the same car had the same problem at the back end of last year.

Which is strange.

Also this - Albeit it's from The Sun so ....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/26492381...es-76k-jaguar/
To add to the strangeness, the driver has since been arrested for dangerous driving. Seems like there might be more to this than a faulty vehicle?
Old 14 Mar 2024, 23:10 (Ref:4201283)   #293
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
I'd love to know the truth behind this but just watching Derek on Bangers and Cash, and he said that the government departments, back in the day, would only buy Austin vehicles and not Morris ones. So when they needed a van, MG just badged the Moggie vans as Austins which the various departments purchased.

Can this be true as I don't always believe what I hear or see?
Old 16 Mar 2024, 16:59 (Ref:4201447)   #294
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Don't know about government departments but an old aunt of mine had always had Austins so when the new-fangled Mini came out in 1959 she insisted that she would only have an Austin Seven, not a Morris Mini-minor.....
Old 16 Mar 2024, 19:07 (Ref:4201467)   #295
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Glad to hear to hear she didn't ask for a Baby. Car dealers, when they have fun…
Old 16 Mar 2024, 19:11 (Ref:4201469)   #296
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My father always remained loyal to Morris, so of course it had to be a Morris Oxford, not an Austin Cambridge. Oh no...

I've only recently discovered that the Oxford was built & sold in Argentina as the Morris 1650 Fordor.
Old 16 Mar 2024, 23:00 (Ref:4201558)   #297
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Probably the most famous example is the Mitsubishi Pajero. It had to be re-named to Montero for the Spanish-speaking market, or would you want to drive around in a car named “male masturbator” (Mitsubishi *****r)?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Mar 2024, 07:44 (Ref:4201637)   #298
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, well, well. Maybe the EV isn't the bad guy after all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...nD_fNOVENgBGe0

Sorry, hadn't seen CRM had alluded to this before.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Mar 2024, 08:51 (Ref:4201639)   #299
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Probably the most famous example is the Mitsubishi Pajero. It had to be re-named to Montero for the Spanish-speaking market, or would you want to drive around in a car named “male masturbator” (Mitsubishi *****r)?
My daily driver is a Hyundai Kona . Which , in Portugese , apparently means the word very rarely heard even now on TV .
Old 17 Mar 2024, 11:39 (Ref:4201651)   #300
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Toyota had to change the name of their MR2 because in french it sounds like little piece of sheet.