Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jan 2004, 05:56 (Ref:827934)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Giancarlo Fisichella

There was a time when a poll like this one would have 99% of the votes.

It would seem, a few of us at least (not you Inigo ) are loosing faith in him.

Regardless of what forum you visit, Fisi is popular with the fans. Many like him, few dislike him, and most would tell you deserves a top line driver more than anyone else.

I was one of them.

Yet, year after year, names are linked with Ferrari, Williams and McLaren and he's is nowhere to be seen. He ends up taking the crumbs so to speak, at Sauber, Jordan etc. At least he has a seat I guess.

So why is that, not only does he not have a top seat, he is'nt even considered for one? There must be a reason. He's obviously quick, has blown away all his team mates (well beaten them all anyway), and yet no drive?

While it puzzles me (and many others), I have to conclude the paddock knows more about the drivers than us armchair critics.

What do they know that we dont? What is he lacking?
Old 5 Jan 2004, 07:08 (Ref:827971)   #2
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
He's OK, but not in the calibre of Raikkonen and Alonso, who got competitive seats in their 2nd year in F1. Fisi started off OK in F1, had a great stretch with Jordan in 97 and Benneton in 98, but then just dropped off. in 03 he looked and drove like an unmotivated man, which IIRC is the reason why JV didnt drive in Japan.

Unfortunately, Fisi's chance has passed him by. When it got tough in 03, he failed. Hopefully 04 isnt his last season, because theres no denying hes talented.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 10:37 (Ref:828096)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've never been a fisi fan (IMO he's a wining nancy) so i can see why he's hasn't made it big time.

I cant see him being WDC and i cany really see him moving outside a midfield team, sort like Frentzen.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 11:15 (Ref:828140)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Desire - how much does he really want it? No place for a shrinking violet in F1. Seemingly Fizzi is one of those drivers team owners 'admire' in passing, but not enough to risk a top line seat on.

Make or break for him in 2004.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 12:28 (Ref:828231)   #5
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he is rumoured to be a big difficult with the sponsors, and his english is not great so mechanics have problems (apart from Ferrari and Minardi)

Once teams walm to him though they are supposed to love him. His driving ablities are excellent from what I have seen and other more knowledgable people said, but he is quite emotinal and Pat Simonds is quoted as saying he relies too much on his skill than getting his head down and working for it. By this I assume he means out of the box he is a quick driver...one of the best, but if he worked for it, I don't know examined more data, took more time with the engineers he would be the best. Again I don't know how much truth is in that, but it sort of rings true for me. He is also prone to mistakes eg: 2 years he lined up on the wrong grid slot in speang. If that is not lack of concentration I don't know what is !

That said I rate him and would love to see him get a shot at Ferrari or Mclaren (I don't think Williams would suit him due to the highly technical input there drivers are involved in)
Old 5 Jan 2004, 12:31 (Ref:828235)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How much do contracts have to do with it?

I would suspect that Fisi has been shut out because the big three have tied up their seats for the long term term. In the '70's when there were more teams and times were dangerous, a driver "on the beach" might find himself suddenly in a race-winning seat. Today, Ralf, JPM, TGF, Rubens and DC have monopolized 5 of the top 6 seats. Before that Hakkinen was in a Mac for almost nine seasons.

I also believe that Flavio Flave stuck Trulli in the Renault for purely financial reasons. I am a Trulli fan, but Fisi is the better driver and I believe would have given Alonso more of a run for his money.

Wrex, its chance to some degree. When was Fisi's contract up at the same time a seat was available in the big three?
Old 5 Jan 2004, 12:35 (Ref:828242)   #7
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
i've never been a fisi fan (IMO he's a wining nancy) so i can see why he's hasn't made it big time.
Nancy? Thats never a criticism I would level at Fisi. hes one of the toughest / hardest F1 racers around.

He is a true natural Talent too - in karts he was one of the fastest drivers - ever - according to Terry Fullerton.

It must be hard to stay motivated when year after year you don't get that big break, but this ferrari thing sounds promising, and I reckon he would be devastating with the right tool for the job.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 12:55 (Ref:828266)   #8
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually meant to say winging (but i guess what i wrote applies)

This year he racked up only a few more points (appart from the fluke win) then Ralph Firman, and really great drivers can shine in auful cars, like Alonso and Webber at Minardi, last year Fisi didn't shine!
Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:10 (Ref:828284)   #9
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats a very fair point, but look at him in Renault/Benatton in 2001 where he shone at spa and a few other races when that car was being qualified RIGHTLY on the back of the grid.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:19 (Ref:828294)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Giancarlo Fisichella

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

What do they know that we dont? What is he lacking?
I always said that. If he has what it takes, long terms contracts can be broken...

His big chance comes now, Williams and Ferrari 2005, still open. Let's wait and see.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:55 (Ref:828332)   #11
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I'm staying out of this, as I can't offer an unbiased opinion. But the post calling him a "nancy" is plain silly.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:57 (Ref:828334)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh come on, Inigo. Help me out here. I'm counting on your biased (though correct) opinion.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 14:53 (Ref:828383)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:

So why is that, not only does he not have a top seat, he is'nt even considered for one? There must be a reason. He's obviously quick, has blown away all his team mates (well beaten them all anyway), and yet no drive?

I honestly believe this is because he doesn't have the "killer" instinct. From memory, he could have won at least 2 more than his solitary win.

Canada 98 was his for the taking, Michael given a 10 second stop go, and still he didn't do enough to win the race and Nurburgring 99 he threw it into the gravel.

I was really pleased that he got his win in Brazil last year (seems weird saying last year!) but he did "luck in". However, being there at the end is all that matters and history will show that he has that win, but he hasn't done it enough to attract the top teams attention.

And i'm convinced that he's at Sauber for 04 as a yardstick, for Massa, so that Ferrari can evaluate the Brazilian for a future seat in the red cars.

Last edited by Mr V; 5 Jan 2004 at 14:55.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 15:08 (Ref:828394)   #14
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Oh come on, Inigo. Help me out here. I'm counting on your biased (though correct) opinion.
Well, one only has to look at his record against teammates to see his abilities. I had summed them up in a thread some time ago, but I cannot find it.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 15:17 (Ref:828402)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I tried to search your posts for the word Fisi, but it came back with 3,430 hits
Old 5 Jan 2004, 15:18 (Ref:828405)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Old 5 Jan 2004, 15:21 (Ref:828407)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Wrex... Fisi! Make that 3431

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=43831

About three quarters of the way down the page.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 5 Jan 2004 at 15:22.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 15:42 (Ref:828427)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Giancarlo is a difficult driver to assess. On 2003 form he didn't seem especially impresisve, and his record against Firman was unspectacular. In 2001 he fought much harder when the Benetton was inferior, and was rewarded by his second place in Belgium among others. Maybe he saw that it wasn't going to go that way this year, and his Brazil win was much better than he'd've got otherwise. The motivation issue is unfortunate and appears to have weakened him. I hope he doesn't believe the Sauber drive can really lead to a place at Ferrari, because they'd only want Massa.

His reputation among the top team owners may not be as good as it is among us. Flavio had no qualms about dumping him in favour of Trulli, which may not have been a great move.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 16:08 (Ref:828456)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I tried to search your posts for the word Fisi, but it came back with 3,430 hits
Using the word 'Fisico' you will find more 1,115...
Old 5 Jan 2004, 16:16 (Ref:828462)   #20
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yet to be convinced - the name sounds fast
Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:13 (Ref:828659)   #21
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whatever we say, he's not appeared on the 'must have' list, by contrast can you imagine the scramble if Alonso or Kimi, 'unexpectedly' came onto the market.

There lies the answer I think - good, but not THAT good.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:59 (Ref:828692)   #22
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
No offense, but I think your, and most other's on this thread, view is oversimplified. Because he is not on a top team, he must be an ordinary driver... not that good.

By that logic, David Coulthard and Rubens Barichello, perennially on a top team (and at least in DC's case, perennially underachievers), for example, must be THAT good. I don't think so.

Its more than being good - politics, team chemistry, and (especially, in Fisico's case), timing also have lots to do with it.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 20:03 (Ref:828698)   #23
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
While it puzzles me (and many others), I have to conclude the paddock knows more about the drivers than us armchair critics.

Well, the paddock voted him Driver's Driver in 2003.. so his fellow drivers also rate him highly. http://www.f1i.com/articles/ARTICLE_481884.html
Old 5 Jan 2004, 20:24 (Ref:828722)   #24
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
No offense taken.

There is surely an element of 'cream rising to the top', Alonso, Kimi and MS himself all found themselves in top seats very quickly. In F1 it's very hard to have a 'gradual rise', you either rise and get poached by a top team relatively quickly, or you plateau, then slip away.

As for Rubens, his case is that he is sufficiently good to pick up race wins here and there, along with good point finishes, whilst being suitably subserviant to allow MS a clear route to the flag, when required.

The example of DC, I am as mystified by anyone as how DC has maintained such an iron grip on a front running car, when his record belies that. Conversely, I am equally puzzled as to how, he has achieved so little in a GP career, solely spent in a car capable of wins.

I am not anti-Fizzi at all, in fact I am eager to see him in pastures new this season against Massa - who is highly rated. It may be the making of him, and wake team managers up to what they have missed.

The point I was really making is that a top team has surely had plenty of time to hire him, and team managers rate him, but wouldn't move out of their way to hire him - for whatever reason. To me this says they like what they see to a degree, but not sufficietly (up to now), to make a place for him.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 20:57 (Ref:828749)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisi always strikes me as a decent driver but not a RACER.

He seems to have a tendency to go to sleep in races as well.

I think if he got a crack at a top team it may end up like HH Frentzen's stint at Williams.