Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Sep 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3848704)   #76
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stunning collection of cars, weather behaving as well.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3848706)   #77
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Never mind the cars- how many celebs and BTCC drivers have you spotted?
Old 7 Sep 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3848708)   #78
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Preferred the commentary when it included Kevin Turner.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 16:40 (Ref:3848726)   #79
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Spotted Delta from afar, sadly he pulled off in the Formula Junior race although he appeared to be going reasonably well in the Austin Westminster in qualy.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3848727)   #80
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I have to agree, very little input today from Marcus, I assume he's on full commentary for the races.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3848729)   #81
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I have to agree, very little input today from Marcus, I assume he's on full commentary for the races.
I've heard him a little but I think they've stuck him out in the commentary tower at St Mary's for some reason. Martin Haven leading!
Old 7 Sep 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3848732)   #82
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
I know the event does has its' dissenters form a purist point of view but the paddock as usual is mind boggling in depth and levels of preparation. This year's entry for the FJ race is exceptional, qualifying very close amongst the top runners and the tin top qualifying was breathtaking to watch and coupled with some beautiful big banger sportscars the paddock is a dream to wander around.
The only thing lacking for me are the 70's sportscars which you have at the Le Mans Classic which I realise are not period correct for Goodwood but I'd just love to see some of those fantastic Lola and Chevron creations racing there.
Full weekend for me I'm pleased to say as it's local and my charity pass for doing a minimal amount of work on Friday gets me in all weekend even if I did have get up at 4:45am today!
Old 7 Sep 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3848733)   #83
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 7 Sep 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3848744)   #84
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see no fewer than nineteen of the twenty nine qualifiers for the Fordwater Trophy have been placed in a previously unmentioned Class B . Eligibility problems presumably . Take That's Howard Donald a meritorious eighth in a Porsche 356 .

In the Glover Trophy Andy Middlehurst on pole and James King in third is not unusual but I noticed Formula Junior frontrunner Jonathan Milicevic in an LDS Climax ( four cylinder ? ) in second and Historic Formula Fordster Ben Mitchell in a one litre Formula Two Lola in fourth . Given the possibility of wet weather on Sunday could there be a surprise n store in the Glover Trophy ?
Old 7 Sep 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3848746)   #85
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I know the event does has its' dissenters form a purist point of view but the paddock as usual is mind boggling in depth and levels of preparation. This year's entry for the FJ race is exceptional, qualifying very close amongst the top runners and the tin top qualifying was breathtaking to watch and coupled with some beautiful big banger sportscars the paddock is a dream to wander around.
The only thing lacking for me are the 70's sportscars which you have at the Le Mans Classic which I realise are not period correct for Goodwood but I'd just love to see some of those fantastic Lola and Chevron creations racing there.
Full weekend for me I'm pleased to say as it's local and my charity pass for doing a minimal amount of work on Friday gets me in all weekend even if I did have get up at 4:45am today!
You’re quite right, and if an enthusiast only gets one chance a year to see a top quality field of cars then it’s the place to go.

You’ll have to try and make it to a Peter Auto event to see a superb selection of late 60s and 70s sports racers.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3848749)   #86
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mmm, bit of bumping and boring in the pre ‘63 race.....
Old 7 Sep 2018, 18:54 (Ref:3848752)   #87
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Right could be the worst day for me . 4 cars . 1 st car out Westminster in Jack Sears . Missfire so only P14 . Grrrrr think we are on top of that . It’s the coil!!! . . Cooper Maserati dumped oil out of engine .Not sure who built this engine but we found the oil filter housing leaking . Should be 3 O rings fitted . Nothing there but a bit of gasket paper . So that will be sorted .My 22 broke UJ gutted as she was going well . Last car a Brabham BT 2 FJ got impounded by scrutineer Dad it’s got wrong dampers on it . So I’m still working but having a great time .
Old 7 Sep 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3848757)   #88
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Right could be the worst day for me . 4 cars . 1 st car out Westminster in Jack Sears . Missfire so only P14 . Grrrrr think we are on top of that . It’s the coil!!! . . Cooper Maserati dumped oil out of engine .Not sure who built this engine but we found the oil filter housing leaking . Should be 3 O rings fitted . Nothing there but a bit of gasket paper . So that will be sorted .My 22 broke UJ gutted as she was going well . Last car a Brabham BT 2 FJ got impounded by scrutineer Dad it’s got wrong dampers on it . So I’m still working but having a great time .
I thought you were having problems today but at least you done the donkey work in identifying them. I'll be cheering tomorrow from No Name as far away from the flat cap and half a bitter brigade as possible
Old 7 Sep 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3848768)   #89
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, so watching the livestream for the last half of today, as it fits my current budget, anyway could someone kindly explain the difference between the Kinara Trophy and the TT Celebration race, they both seem to be for closed cockpit 3 litre cars, but the Kinara race is for an earlier time period? thanks
Old 7 Sep 2018, 23:52 (Ref:3848791)   #90
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No celebs or drivers as we were in the cheap seats around Madgwick

Fantastic battle between the Breadvan and E-Type in the 1 hour race this evening, many changes of the lead and very close racing with no contact, in our sight.

Camera shutter will need a rest as I shot more today than the whole 3 days of the Classic Will catch what I can of the stream over the weekend.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 05:00 (Ref:3848807)   #91
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
Hi all, so watching the livestream for the last half of today, as it fits my current budget, anyway could someone kindly explain the difference between the Kinara Trophy and the TT Celebration race, they both seem to be for closed cockpit 3 litre cars, but the Kinara race is for an earlier time period? thanks

The Kinrara is basically 'Pre 63GT' in normal historic racing, the TT 'Pre 66GT', but at Goody they only include larger engine cars for both. So in the former the smallest capacity seems to be Healey 3000s, and in TT it's all about the American V8s versus the Europeans.

The Kinrara only has one car that doesn't look like a standard production GT- the Ferrari Breadvan, which is a one-off period rebodied 250GT SWB. Personally, I don't think it fits the grid, but what do I know!

And IMHO it's hideously ugly for a Ferrari!
Old 8 Sep 2018, 06:05 (Ref:3848809)   #92
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Strangely Mike , this year three Porsche 904s have been invited , so the over three litre rule in the TT doesn't seem to apply .
Old 8 Sep 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3848811)   #93
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
One thing for sure Goodwood are clamping down on people building illegal cars to win .
Old 8 Sep 2018, 07:15 (Ref:3848812)   #94
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Does that mean all the cars in the St Mary's Trophy are legit !
Old 8 Sep 2018, 07:20 (Ref:3848813)   #95
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Does that mean all the cars in the St Mary's Trophy are legit !
I think he implies there's stretching the regs and then there's taking the p*ss. One certain E-type springs to mind.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 07:33 (Ref:3848814)   #96
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Strangely Mike , this year three Porsche 904s have been invited , so the over three litre rule in the TT doesn't seem to apply .
I thought that strange as well. The 904 is a bit of an oddball but of course was homologated as a GT in period. Presume they are 6 cylinder cars, and not 904-4s.....

Maybe it was a case of “Why no Porsche’s on the grid?” and the only model suitable is the 904....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 8 Sep 2018 at 07:39.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3848822)   #97
brands
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Agreed. The current ones seem to spend most of their time trying to score points off of each other rather than inform the spectators.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3848826)   #98
Rob Pennington
Rookie

Rob Pennington should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know when Cobras started running with the sloping hard top. Most of the period pictures at Goodwood seem to show the cars running open or in Roger Mac's case with a simple fabric hood.

Thanks

Rob
Old 8 Sep 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3848827)   #99
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Agreed. The current ones seem to spend most of their time trying to score points off of each other rather than inform the spectators.
Yes. Just heard someone (Marcus I think) quietly pointing out to the others that it wasn't the race start for the Fordwater - just the green flag lap, i.e. don't get too exited boys.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3848828)   #100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Marcus also announced the passing of Barrie Williams. Sad start tp the day.

It's Bruce Jones and Martin Haven on the start finish line.