Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Jul 2002, 11:15 (Ref:336402)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boss

I have just read about the BOSS accident in Most last weekend. A terrible accident and the thoughts must go to the family involved..

There has been a few big BOSS accidents over the last couple of seasons. I was very close to mr Beckers accident at Thruxton two years ago - and he was fairly lucky to survive that one.

Should the series now only go to circuits where the drivers / spectactors can be protected (and I know this can't be totalyy achieved)? The desrciption of Most suggested that there was a 200 mph chicane(?) where the accident took place and the car got very airborne... this could have had even worse consequences..

In addition, I would suggest that not all of the drivers (and I know they have the proper licences) have yet mastered the art of racing an F1 car...
Old 18 Jul 2002, 11:49 (Ref:336434)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think your last point maybe be very valid . But in the case that happened at Most , from what ive read , that certainly wasnt the case .
Old 18 Jul 2002, 14:56 (Ref:336568)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on
Old 18 Jul 2002, 16:26 (Ref:336623)   #4
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I belive that there is a 17yr old who has been attempting to race in the series this season. I know his first attempt failed because of car problems, but I'm not sure if he's got out yet.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 19:40 (Ref:336822)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Why on earth has a 17 year old got to drive an F1 car?? Sounds like luancy to me.. perhaps a few seasons in Formula Ford etc etc might teach him how to race first of all??

Or is that just too boring...
Old 18 Jul 2002, 20:46 (Ref:336874)   #6
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dan, just found a bit more:

Scott Mansell, aged 16, driving a F3000 class car within the Boss championship.

Amazingly, he managed to finish 8th overall out of 16 cars and win the F3000 class at Most. Must be pretty good to have that much pace!
Old 18 Jul 2002, 21:14 (Ref:336888)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is why we are offering professional driver coaching where with the help of driver coaches, Justin Wilson, Ian Flux, Kelvin Burt, Andrew Kirkaldy and Darren Manning, we hope to improve peoples driving standards. If there are drivers out there reading this that want to learn to drive faster and safer please get in touch with me at wayne@mackiemotorsport.co.uk

We also have space in our workshop to rebuild or just prepare cars from TGP or Euroboss. There will be pages on our website within the next week about these programs.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 22:03 (Ref:336904)   #8
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not outraged or anything, but I think it's a little bit in "bad taste", Mackmot, to be advertising driver coaching on a thread regarding Frederico Careca's tragic death!
Old 18 Jul 2002, 22:25 (Ref:336911)   #9
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sorry i didnt mean it like that.
It would be better for the championships if less experienced drivers who just want to drive their big powerful toys around we're to get some training from top class drivers.
If i have outraged anyone I am very sorry but i would recommend this kind of thing to anyone in any form of clubmans championship even if they go elsewhere.
Also with the preparation, I know there are a few people about who drive cars that they have prepared themselves as a hobby but at this kind of level with cars that are capable of 180 odd mph it is quite simply too much of a risk.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 22:31 (Ref:336913)   #10
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
also I thought this was a discussion of the safety of the euroboss championship, which is why i didnt want to say anything in the other thread.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 23:36 (Ref:336941)   #11
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
Sorry i didnt mean it like that.
It would be better for the championships if less experienced drivers who just want to drive their big powerful toys around we're to get some training from top class drivers.
That's OK, I understand where you're coming from.

It's a definite safety concern that amateur/inexperienced drivers can pilot modern F1 cars in BOSS, but proper training should certainly be encouraged. Don't know the entire circumstances of Careca's Most crash (from the reports), but at least he had a lot of experience. Suppose it's just another sad reminder that racing's dangerous...