Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 26 Jul 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2508266)   #1
Monkfish
Rookie

Monkfish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC F1 team

I think Eddie's out of his depth commentating for the BBC. He obviously feels intimidated by DC and being a short-ass he is constantly trying to assert himself.

His comment from an "undisclosed source" regarding the state of Felipe Massa after his accident sounded like total bull and I suspect that Coulthard thought the same. Eddie's incompetence has been shown up by this event and I think he should quietly disappear before the start of next season.

The only problem is... who's going to be the one to tell him? Lol!
Old 26 Jul 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2508270)   #2
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the info at the time, I think his info was accurate. I don't imagine he would have said what he did if he was making it up.

I'm guessing EJ might have a blackberry or mobile phone.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2508360)   #3
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find him as annoying as anyone ..

But, I'm enjoying watching Jake & DC treating him more & more like the village idiot as each race goes by.

Yes he's an idiot, but he doesn't make me chew the remote with the same venom James Allen managed..
Old 26 Jul 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2508364)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Could he take that tall spindly **** with him when he goes.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2508384)   #5
Monkfish
Rookie

I loved the summing up that the three did after today's Hungary race: DC & Jake were in full sunlight and Eddie was in total shadow. Perfect!

However, I must agree with Steevp: there certain is a comedy element developing between DC and his ventriloquist dummy. Jake’s like the chatshow compare asking both questions and not quite sure whether to address the performer or the dummy.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2508437)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
At the beginning of the season I disliked EJ quite strongly, but now I see him as the comedy turn, which makes him acceptable.

I see nothing wrong with Jake, in fact I think he's been a revelation.

Now Legard...
Old 26 Jul 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2508466)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I see nothing wrong with Jake, in fact I think he's been a revelation.
Is Jake the tall lanky **** who would be better suited to presenting Blue Peter or Magpie? All I see with him is Lee Evans on stilts.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2508522)   #8
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkfish View Post
The only problem is... who's going to be the one to tell him? Lol!
I will!

But, he isn't funny either!

The thing with Jake is that he doesn't know what he is talking about so you sort of allow for that. As for Eddie, don't really know his excuse?
Old 26 Jul 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2508543)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
EJ is awful.

Jake i like, especially when he and DC are laughing at EJ's ineptitude!
Old 26 Jul 2009, 18:36 (Ref:2508554)   #10
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't mind EJ myself, there's a certain comedic value in the way Jake and DC humour him like a drunk distant uncle at a wedding...

Must admit I'm finding Legard hard to adjust to. I don't like the way he constantly interrupts and talks over Brundle. Give David Croft a go, I reckon.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2508634)   #11
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EJ is getting better; I think he brings a bit of lightness to it lal.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2508664)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dunno, I quite like EJ. He asks some questions some other broadcasters wouldn't dare.

Jake has really grown on me this year. He can ask the questions for the casual viewers without being patronising to us geeks.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2508667)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
There's nobody on the present team I dislike, though I'd like to see James Allen and Louise Goodman back in their old roles. Jake Humphrey is a breath of fresh air. He has any easy-going manner and builds a good rapport with everyone. Best of all, he doesn't fawn over the drivers like (the otherwise excellent) Steve Rider used to.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2508741)   #14
nycuk
Veteran

England
I'd like to see more of Lee McKenzie (and no, not in the way you're all thinking...) I just think she's under utilised.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 09:04 (Ref:2508929)   #15
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Eddie Jordan is getting better too. I thought he was good this weekend. A lot of people in the paddock do respect him too - he obviously winds some up, but most seem to have some banter with him.

I think all the team are getting into it. Legard is improving too - why can people not give him a chance?

I don't understand why the Beeb didn't keep Louise Goodman though.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2508979)   #16
Monkfish
Rookie

I'm certainly not disputing Eddie's inside knowledge. The "team boss" angle is obviously the reason why the BBC hired him. But knowledge and presenting are two different abilities. Eddie has a long way to go in respect to the latter.

I didn't know much about Eddie Jordan before he decided to expose himself to the nation this year. But now I think I understand why he's been so successful... he's just your typical overly-aggressive, bullsh*tt*ng Irishman... traits that are sadly still effective in business.

And what the hell does he shove down the front of those tight trousers!!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2508987)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No need for that criticism of Jake in my view.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:20 (Ref:2509036)   #18
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
he's just your typical overly-aggressive, bullsh*tt*ng Irishman...
Explain please?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2509149)   #19
Monkfish
Rookie

Quote:
No need for that criticism of Jake in my view.
I agree.

Quote:
Explain please?
You've obviously not frequented many drinking establishments around closing time. At least none of those I used to go to.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2509150)   #20
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I didn't know much about Eddie Jordan before he decided to expose himself to the nation this year. But now I think I understand why he's been so successful... he's just your typical overly-aggressive, bullsh*tt*ng Irishman... traits that are sadly still effective in business.
Speaking as an Irishman, I agree that EJ is sometimes not the most polished of presenters.

However, I find your description (to use your own words) "overly-aggressive" and frankly rather offensive.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2509154)   #21
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
Speaking as an Irishman, I agree that EJ is sometimes not the most polished of presenters.

However, I find your description (to use your own words) "overly-aggressive" and frankly rather offensive.
+1
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2509160)   #22
Monkfish
Rookie

Well I don't want to turn this thread into an Irish bashing exercise, but what I remember of Irishmen from my youth was tall stories and punch-ups!

Eddie falls squarely into this category. Didn't he have an official pinned against a wall by the throat once?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2509185)   #23
Monkfish
Rookie

Quote:
I think I'd take my chances with a group of Irishmen any day over some of the scum you get coming out of a British pub or club.
Okay, I'll retract my generalization of the little people. Times have certainly changed and I wouldn't argue with the above comment. My wild oats were sown in the 70's. I wouldn't even consider going to the modern equivalent. And anyway, it wasn't necessarily an overt criticism... I had some great times and some great punch ups. The good ol' days.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2509188)   #24
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:

And what the hell does he shove down the front of those tight trousers!!
The wad from when he sold Irvine to Ferrari...
Old 27 Jul 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2509190)   #25
Monkfish
Rookie

Quote:
The wad from when he sold Irvine to Ferrari...
LOL!