Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 May 2019, 00:04 (Ref:3904773)   #176
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Bring back TC!!
Do you think he would have thought twice about signing off on the sale?? I think not...

Him and his mates had their time, made a bundled, and ran off. Everyone else that stuck around, got screwed.
Old 20 May 2019, 04:55 (Ref:3904794)   #177
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Foxtel paid around $200 million more for the current deal that what was on offer from fta.That was money they were in no position financially to say no to.That money has propped up the series since 2015.
That money will not be on offer again.Back in 2014 Foxtel was a hugely profitable company.In 2018 they lost $418 million and that is the new normal for them with no way out due to programming contracts.By September 2020 they have to finance $1.6 billion (that’s right billion) worth of debt.Last month they needed to do the same with $235 million of debt and couldn’t find anyone to loan it to them..Murdoch had to reach into his own pocket.At some time in the next 16 months he will get sick of doing this and Foxtel may well be declared bankrupt and shut down.This is a worldwide problem for pay tv.In the USA one of the main pay networks has lost 20 million subscribers in the last 2 years.
What this means for Supercars is either that after 2020 Foxtel won’t even bid for rights or if they do they will only offer about 10% of what they are paying now.FTA tv is in pretty terminal financial decline so there will be no big offer there either.Im guessing they will try a paid streaming model of the current Foxtel coverage supplemented by a slightly larger fta coverage.
As for Cochrane does anyone who ever knew him truly believe he would have said no to $200 mill ,a significant percentage of which he would have got personally?
Old 30 May 2019, 09:40 (Ref:3906921)   #178
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting to hear Mr Cochrane’s thoughts on Mr Ingall’s videocast.
The focus on the fan, and not allowing a fan to have an excuse to say ‘no’ because there isn’t a way to watch on free to air teev...

Bring back TC!!
Haven't you been one of the biggest proponents of the Foxtel TV deal on here for the last five years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa
But here we are...
Five years later and seemingly back in the same spot...... yet potentially no Foxtel parachute this time
Old 30 May 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3906927)   #179
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Haven't you been one of the biggest proponents of the Foxtel TV deal on here for the last five years?

Five years later and seemingly back in the same spot...... yet potentially no Foxtel parachute this time
It’s ok. The series is doomed anyway.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 May 2019, 20:00 (Ref:3907036)   #180
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It’s ok. The series is doomed anyway.
Great contribution to the conversation! Have you copied and pasted this from your posts around the time Homebush got the axe?
Old 30 May 2019, 23:11 (Ref:3907072)   #181
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Great contribution to the conversation! Have you copied and pasted this from your posts around the time Homebush got the axe?
Am I not entitled to an opinion? Or perhaps your opinion supersedes all others because of its originator? Just checking...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 May 2019, 06:03 (Ref:3907096)   #182
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Am I not entitled to an opinion? Or perhaps your opinion supersedes all others because of its originator? Just checking...
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's the point of a forum.

Your opinion is the series is doomed?
Old 31 May 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3907103)   #183
Speedy400
Racer

Speedy400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an opinion of the moderator...but I hear you get banned unless you agree with him/her
Old 31 May 2019, 07:35 (Ref:3907107)   #184
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don’t know if doomed is the right word but there is going to have to be major belt tightening.To keep viable teams will have to operate with about half the present staffing levels and more cost based component control.
Old 1 Jun 2019, 01:02 (Ref:3907237)   #185
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy400 View Post
I have an opinion of the moderator...but I hear you get banned unless you agree with him/her
This is interesting. Do you have evidence of this?
Old 1 Jun 2019, 01:19 (Ref:3907239)   #186
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not true.

You get moved on, if you repeatedly insist that your opinion is the only one that is right, and then take it to PMs to harass people with your points of difference.
Old 2 Jun 2019, 01:23 (Ref:3907441)   #187
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Definitely not, I have disagreed with him more than most and I am still here.
Old 3 Jun 2019, 00:09 (Ref:3907639)   #188
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
around the time Homebush got the axe?
What did I do?
Old 3 Jun 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3907686)   #189
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As long as you stay in the rules of the forum, it's fine. So we've now back to the topic at hand.
Old 3 Jun 2019, 23:11 (Ref:3907802)   #190
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rather than seeing the possibility of disaster when the current TV deal comes to an end Supercars (that's all of us ,Teams ,drivers , circuits ,fans and especially sponsors) should see it as a new beginning, a chance to reset.

The series is in the midst of a minor disaster. Costs are soaring , exposure is down , sponsors are harder than ever to get as a result. The mega bucks from pay TV will not be there but with a decent FTA deal sponsorship may seem more attractive which will compensate .

The introduction of the Mustang seemed exciting at first but has it been good for the category as a whole, it has been poorly managed . The Mustang and the Opel Insignia based Commodore road cars are hardly market rivals!

A worthwhile FTA deal, reduced costs (less races or shorter races?) .More relevant cars which are cheaper to build and run might help.

In the end I suppose it is really about entertainment but the category grew on the Holden vs Ford thing and perhaps even in todays changing car market we need to keep an element of this.

All avenues should be considered in car design , perhaps something like Trans Am or a V8 version of TCR , who knows, but there is plenty of knowledge around the world to enable the correct decisions to be made.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3907825)   #191
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Rather than seeing the possibility of disaster when the current TV deal comes to an end Supercars (that's all of us ,Teams ,drivers , circuits ,fans and especially sponsors) should see it as a new beginning, a chance to reset.

The series is in the midst of a minor disaster. Costs are soaring , exposure is down , sponsors are harder than ever to get as a result. The mega bucks from pay TV will not be there but with a decent FTA deal sponsorship may seem more attractive which will compensate .

The introduction of the Mustang seemed exciting at first but has it been good for the category as a whole, it has been poorly managed . The Mustang and the Opel Insignia based Commodore road cars are hardly market rivals!

A worthwhile FTA deal, reduced costs (less races or shorter races?) .More relevant cars which are cheaper to build and run might help.

In the end I suppose it is really about entertainment but the category grew on the Holden vs Ford thing and perhaps even in todays changing car market we need to keep an element of this.

All avenues should be considered in car design , perhaps something like Trans Am or a V8 version of TCR , who knows, but there is plenty of knowledge around the world to enable the correct decisions to be made.

You will never get any of this while ever REC holders have a say in the rules
Old 4 Jun 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3907958)   #192
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry everyone, the messiah TC, will return, buy the series back at a cut rate price, then proceed to shake everyone down again....enjoy
Old 4 Jun 2019, 23:35 (Ref:3907966)   #193
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Right now, Tony Cochrane is most likely exactly what the series needs!!!
Old 5 Jun 2019, 00:44 (Ref:3907974)   #194
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Yeah lets bring Group A back too. Rose coloured glasses in full effect.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 01:55 (Ref:3907982)   #195
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Don't worry everyone, the messiah TC, will return, buy the series back at a cut rate price, then proceed to shake everyone down again....enjoy

Fool us once, shame on him, fool us twice, shame on us

We don't want to go through all that again do we?
Old 5 Jun 2019, 06:04 (Ref:3907994)   #196
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
I'm not really following the animosity towards him. Didn't he preside over the most lucrative and stable period of touring car history?
Old 5 Jun 2019, 07:08 (Ref:3907999)   #197
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176 View Post
I'm not really following the animosity towards him. Didn't he preside over the most lucrative and stable period of touring car history?
Very different economic climate so comparisons can be lacking
Old 5 Jun 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3908045)   #198
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Yeah lets bring Group A back too.
A glorious era, followed up by the even more glorious 2L regulations!

By all means impose 5L large cars if you like in the land of the tariff, but then not to encourage a set of BMW 5 series entries despite an active BMW works team in local touring car racing!? Baffling.
Old 6 Jun 2019, 01:43 (Ref:3908203)   #199
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
A glorious era, followed up by the even more glorious 2L regulations!
Glorious shitholes of whining, cheating and ever more costly development, so fans hated them and they both imploded under their own weight.
Old 6 Jun 2019, 06:25 (Ref:3908218)   #200
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
so fans hated them
Fans loved them!

Check out this action at Donnington in the golden era: https://youtu.be/HbFWi-r_Pgc?t=75

The 5-cylinder Volvo makes a glorious noise.

Were competitors not unwisely split across two series, by choice of non-standard touring car regulation in ATCC, then the Australian series could have been just as good! At a minimum there would have been the existing three manufacturer teams (Nissan Motorsport, BMW Motorsport, Holden Racing Team plus various Ford supported teams) and maybe even more (the later Audi & Volvo entries for example, perhaps Toyota).

It seems if the decisions taken by ATCC organisers did not have the best interests of Nissan and BMW in mind, nor the best interests of inclusive multi-manufacturer competition...

Quote:
both imploded under their own weight.
True.

But, crucially there was free television coverage that brought the touring car racing to the masses, and attracted the vehicle manufacturers and sponsors. Do Supercars think that free coverage -- be it television and/or streaming -- will improve their market penetration and improve sale of sponsorship?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 6 Jun 2019 at 06:43.