Positive Vibes from Red Bull

An encouraging sign from Red Bull.

http://www.cart.com/news/article.asp?id=4764

Anyone know where to get the full list.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 05:19 (Ref:389496)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here ya go, all 16. Pretty good choices, none I can really argue with.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns07116.html
Old 27 Sep 2002, 05:33 (Ref:389504)   #3
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Lee. I just came back from your post on the F1 Forum where I saw your other post.

Sorry but I just can't resist asking how Invisible you must be when your not even seen in a series that has direct team sponsorship?
Old 27 Sep 2002, 05:37 (Ref:389506)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Sorry, it's probably just the fact that I'm nearly asleep (I've got to stop posting at 1:30 in the morning), but could you specify just what you're referring to with the "invisible" question? I'm just rather dense at the moment.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 11:00 (Ref:389667)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see that they are mostly our guys too. Well done the bunch of you!
Old 27 Sep 2002, 17:04 (Ref:389994)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Feel stupid asking this, but here goes...

What exactly is Red Bull doing here, anyway? Are they throwing sponsorship money at these guys and their teams? Or are they forming new teams to run these guys? Will the drivers be changing formulae?

You see, I'm ignorant. That much is obvious.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 17:30 (Ref:390017)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're going to try to put them in top teams, or at the very least existing Red Bull teams.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 19:27 (Ref:390107)   #8
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My opinion is that Buddy Rice should have been in there. However he is 26.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 19:37 (Ref:390112)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Why? He's allready in the IRL so he's not really a candidate for the program, and to be perfectly honest isnt that good.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 20:11 (Ref:390138)   #10
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My impression is that he blew the field in his first races. Plus he already was linked with Red Bull(Hmm... maybe they know something)
Old 27 Sep 2002, 20:16 (Ref:390142)   #11
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a Red Bull effort to bring these 16 drivers along and put them into formulas that will suit their needs for growth. This does not mean that each will be driving a solely Red Bull sponsored car. I highly doubt Cheever's IRL team will have anything to do with these chosen drivers.

I'm curious to see where Paul Edwards goes.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 20:26 (Ref:390150)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

if they arent fully funded by red bull it will be the same half assed effort the program was supposedly created to end. Giving the guy half the funds for a season of Formula Renault will give him *gasp* half a season, and in the end nothing to show for it.

If they want anything put Edwards and Giebler at ADR with full red bull backing and see if they walk F3. Winning team, full budget, full chance. Id have put Allmendinger in one of the strong National Formula Renault series or even European Super Renault but since he's gone to Atlantics id stick with Giebler and Edwards and not even pick a 3rd and 4th driver because basically no one on that list is ready for Europe and it'd just be a waste of time and money.

I get the impression they're trying to find a guy to ram through the syystem instead of just giving guys chances to see if tehy can do it.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 02:31 (Ref:390315)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My main question is:

How much bloody money does Red Bull have???:confused:

They are in F1 with Arrows and Sauber, they are in MotoGP with Yamaha WCM and are in IRL with Cheever. Now they have this program and are likely to sponsor a CART team if plans come to fruition.

I didn't know their drinks were THAT popular for them to afford all this.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 02:39 (Ref:390318)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously...for a company that produces a drink that supposedly tastes like **** they sure have a lot of cash to throw around.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Sep 2002, 02:39 (Ref:390319)   #15
Russfeld
Veteran

Red Bull doesnt have a lot of expenses. Their costs are bottling and advertising. They spend money on sponsorships and those really cheesey cartoon commercials which cant cost too much.

Arrows Sauber is maybe 10-20mil a year. Cheever cant have been more than 10. WCM is maybe 10. There's maybe another 5 in their sponsorship of various junior drivers.

In 2000 they did 1.2bil which was 119% increase in sales from 99
Old 28 Sep 2002, 05:09 (Ref:390366)   #16
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull will pick 4 of the 16 and fund a European season for them. If they do well they'll get another bite of the cherry next year along with another 4 and so on.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 13:56 (Ref:390533)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah... Hopefully a couple who just _barely_ miss the cut of the top four will get CART rides. Too much talent there to just let them all go back to being unsupported (which many of them are).
Old 28 Sep 2002, 20:41 (Ref:390699)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, the driver search already lost one of it's top prospects. A.J. Allmendinger has chosen to go to Atlantics for 2003. I'd expect we'll see him in CART in '04, and then a push to for an F1 seat after that.

Could Red Bull still maintain interest enough in him to bring sponsorship money into CART and the ladder system?
Old 28 Sep 2002, 21:05 (Ref:390719)   #19
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would rate Allmendinger as THE top prospect of the 16, Sellers and scott Speed a close second.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 22:27 (Ref:390771)   #20
Russfeld
Veteran

ill wait till he goes abroad first, i havent yet seen AJ go up against a strong field, while Edwards and Giebler have raced against nothing but
Old 29 Sep 2002, 00:20 (Ref:390814)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I wouldn't say Barber Dodge wasn't a strong field. It's a beginner series though, and not always a good indicator. Also, those cars handle like buses compared to F3 or Atlantic cars (according to Ryan Hunter-Reay). Some guys, like Hunter-Reay have little success in Barber Dodge but more success in Atlantic. Then again, some have done well in Barber Dodge and bombed in Atlantic... so it's a big wait and see.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Sep 2002, 00:36 (Ref:390822)   #22
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Barber-Dodge is the US equivalent to Formula Renault, Formula Opel, FF2000, or Formula BMW. Basically the first series with spoilers drivers get into in the "official" ladder model. You _can_ jump straight to F1... If you're Kimi Raikkonen. Otherwise you need to do one more series... F3 or F3000... Which over here means Atlantics or CART.

I think it's a bit of a shame for him to do Atlantics, though. I think he's got the talent to jump straight into the Champcars.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 00:47 (Ref:390823)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I wouldn't be so sure, wait and see how he does in Atlantic before making that jump. The cars in those two series are very different and don't always suit each pilot.

Also, another thing a lot of people don't consider is that the Barber Dodge series is a real learners series, and the officials 'Hold the hands' of the drivers and give them all the help they need to make sure they have an equal footing. The drivers will get none of this help in Atlantics and will have to deal with their team. Barber Dodge runs more like a racing school series, where as Atlantics is more like Champcars. It's quite a difference really, and it can catch some pilots out.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 23:36 (Ref:391601)   #24
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much does Red Bull make in terms of profit? How can afford to sponsor so many teams and series?? It's almost like they had no costs at all? Either that or the company is basically losing money every year due to their high advertising costs??
Old 29 Sep 2002, 23:54 (Ref:391614)   #25
Russfeld
Veteran

They have about 1.5bil in sales and their only expenses are bottling and advertising. They go advertising by sponsoring racing and other extreme sports and those really cheap cartoon commercials