Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 24 Nov 2003, 19:21 (Ref:793192)   #1
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which starter saloon series?

I recently picked up an Alfa Romeo 75 (2.0 TS) with the goal of preparing it for running in some kind of saloon car series in 2004.

Problem is I do not know which one and I am looking for advice on what I should look for when choosing a series.

I am UK based. As a student I will be doing as much of the work myself as possible, the primary goal is to gain experience in preparing and running a car. Absolute competitiveness is a secondary goal given my (minimal) budget.

I would like to keep the car road legal as this will cut out a major expense (trailer, towing car etc.) Of course this limits some of the modifications I can do and the tyres I can run.

I will be driving myself (MSA requirements already investigated).

I have looked at the current Alfa series (AROC and ARCA) and the Auto Italia series (apparantly soon to become a BSRCC European Saloon series). I get the impression these may suit but their websites are short on regs and entry requiremtents for 2004. Does anybody have experience of these series in particular?

What would be a decent series I could make a start in with a fairly modestly prepared car that I could work up the ranks in with experience? I must say that I lean towards circuit racing but would consider hill climbs and sprints as well. I'm not really interested in road racing or rallying.

I'm sure I've missed out lots of information here, if you have any questions that would help you make a recommendation please ask me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 19:48 (Ref:793212)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.brscc.co.uk/default.asp?page=championships

The above link may be of help - to the BRSCC, who organise the Alfas and AutoItalia. 2003 regs can be found on there which may give an indication of what you can expect.

I don't think the AROC series ran often (if at all) this year through lack of entries.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 20:19 (Ref:793239)   #3
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
The ARCA Championship looks like a good'un. It's been rumoured that Auto Italia will become a Euro Saloon series next year due to small grid sizes this year. Makes me worry a bit getting into a new series that's going through so many changes. Anybody know anything about that?

I was aware of the problems the AROC series has had recently. Just included it for completeness (and in the hope that it may run fully next year).

What about the BARC modified production (Toyo tyres) series? Seems reasonable to start in but the regs don't give much room for expansion. Any experience of this?
Old 24 Nov 2003, 20:50 (Ref:793272)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I certainly don't remember seeing an Alfa in there. I think a couple of people who post here run in/have experience of Mod Prods who can guide you better.

See also a recent thread on where to race a BMW 325 - because I expect you will get similar answers to your question.

All the best.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:24 (Ref:793713)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Have you tried sending a PM to the Alfa guys who post here? I think alfa53 is one, but check the members list for the correct details. I am sure they would be able to offer good advice.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 13:56 (Ref:794009)   #6
alfa57
Rookie

alfa57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubinho

I've raced in the ARCA series for 15 years and won it this year. I race a Production 146Ti that races in Class E - this would be the same class a 75 Twin Spark would compete in.

I think this series is your only serious option for 2004. The former Auto Italia series is going through some changes as it struggles to get grids most of the time. The AROC races were a bit of a joke and I can't see club members putting up with supporting them promoting races any longer. Most of the people who raced in that have now moved across to the ARCA series.

I'm happy to give you some advice about racing in the ARCA series if you contact me.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 14:00 (Ref:794017)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhh it was alfa57 and not alfa53....sorry Anyhow, there speaks the master
Old 25 Nov 2003, 18:19 (Ref:794306)   #8
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Thanks a lot for all your information. I'll take ARCA discussion off-thread.

Still interested in hearing about mod prods. Keeping an eye on the BMW 325 thread too.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 17:09 (Ref:795252)   #9
Ian Fisher
Rookie

Ian Fisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubinho,

Hi, I (occassionally) race a 75 twin spark in the ARCA championship. I started last year 2002, and had a virtually standard car, which I drove to (and from) the circuits. I can highly recommend the ARCA series for both beginners and seasoned campaigners. There is plenty of help in the paddock and driving standards are good.

The main problem I found with driving the car to and from circuits is that my first lap was compromised by avoiding risks in the run up to and round the first couple of corners. But, it did save me any repair bills (and a long walk home)! In standard trim, the car tends to roll a lot and understeer if pushed, but it is very forgiving (good job in my case!). This year we stiffened the suspension, and it is much more tricky to drive (oversteer when pushed)- takes a bit of getting used to.

I paid about £2,500 to get the car and have it prepared, then about £1,500k running it (5 races and 3 half-day tests) - not too competitive, but good value and great fun!

I'm sure Graham will give you the info the need- have fun
Old 26 Nov 2003, 18:11 (Ref:795300)   #10
SuperDavros
Rookie

SuperDavros should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa57 is your man for information.

I started in the ARCA at the same time as Ian and I can confirm that it is huge fun!

There is a great bunch of people within the Alfa Championship - I'll be back next season for more.

Alfa57 will be able to give the Championship Co-ordinators details, for regs etc.

Keep us posted of your progress!!
Old 27 Nov 2003, 07:51 (Ref:795806)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Oh Lord, all these numbers! So I was right, it is alfa 57 for info...phew, thought I was going mad in my old age
Old 30 Nov 2003, 09:08 (Ref:798957)   #12
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you could try the IN GEAR/ BARC se championship, which usually also contains additional saloon and sports races, all the competitors are nice and friendly and we have quite a few alfas come and join in ( most of us are also racing on a shoe string budget so body damage is very rare)

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!