Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Mar 2004, 23:55 (Ref:898809)   #1
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Class 1 Touring Cars & GT1's

I was watching some film of them the other day with a tear in my eye. These were proper technological cars that were powerfull and with not many restrictions. How racing cars should be with manufacuturer support and the ability to express themselves with technology that is not watered down like the current BTCC. Discuss.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 03:33 (Ref:898954)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure by what u mean "class 1" touring cars, but with regards to GT1 class cars, as u know they are sportscars, not touring cars, and as it stands at the moment we have cars similar to that of GT1, just look at the GTS class cars at LM, the times being set are as fast, if not a bit faster than the times set by cars like the Mclaren F1's, sure they arent a match yet for cars like the Toyota GT1, but they were really LMP GTP class cars and not true GT1 cars. Besides, we have cars like the Toyota GT1's, ie the LMP GTP machines like the Bentley EXP Speed 8.

With regards to the BTCC though, I do too beleive that the cars should have signifcantly more power than they currently have, like the STCC car days. I dont however think it would be in the intrests of the BTCC to go down the road of the DTM machines, they have a little too much power and too much downforce for my liking and subsequently there is a lack of overtaking, where as with the Super 2000 rules the racing is still very close, but the cars lack that little bit extra power that is needed i think, a boost to say 330bhp would be a good idea IMHO.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 12:19 (Ref:899324)   #3
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Not sure by what u mean "class 1" touring cars,

I've got a very vague memory that around 1993/4, the DTM 2.5-litre cars (Merc C-Class, Alfa 155, Opel Calibra) were officially designated 'class 1' by the FIA, while the BTCC-style 2-litre cars were referred to as 'class 2'- this designation must have been dropped once the 2-litre cars became known as 'Supertouring' instead, but can't recall whether the FIA continued to refer to DTM cars as 'class 1'
Old 9 Mar 2004, 21:15 (Ref:899966)   #4
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Yes I am in fact refering to the 1995-1996 ITC series which featured cars called Class 1 they were 2.5 V6 N/A engines 12000rpm limit 500bhp based on road cars with 4WD. 1000kg-1040kg. Opel Calibra, Alfa 155 and Mercedes C Class (RWD). www.redshoes-archive.com/Touring_Cars/ITC/. As for GT1 my fav cars were the Porsche 911 GT1 98, Mercedes CLK-GTR and CLK-LM
Old 10 Mar 2004, 07:17 (Ref:900483)   #5
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Re: Class 1 Touring Cars & GT1's

Quote:
Originally posted by Robin Plummer
These were proper technological cars that were powerfull and with not many restrictions. How racing cars should be with manufacuturer support and the ability to express themselves with technology that is not watered down like the current BTCC. Discuss.
You have just, very accurately, nailed the reason why these monsters are no longer around. If you want technology, go to F1, or an airshow and leave the proper racing as it is.

History repeatedly demonstrates that once rules are relaxed, manufacturers see it as a wet-dream scenario to showcase their engineering skills. Fine until they get bored with it, then the series implodes like a balloon shot with a rifle, leaving a few scattered privateers and fans bemoaning the loss of a quality championship.

Last edited by neilwaynesmith; 10 Mar 2004 at 07:18.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:32 (Ref:900585)   #6
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes I am in fact refering to the 1995-1996 ITC series which featured cars called Class 1 they were 2.5 V6 N/A engines 12000rpm limit 500bhp based on road cars with 4WD. 1000kg-1040kg. Opel Calibra, Alfa 155 and Mercedes C Class (RWD). www.redshoes-archive.com/Touring_Cars/ITC/. As for GT1 my fav cars were the Porsche 911 GT1 98, Mercedes CLK-GTR and CLK-LM
Well, introducing such formulas again would be suicide for the sport.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 22:55 (Ref:901409)   #7
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think we will ever witness a 'class one ' type series again. The ITC and DTM as it were(1993-96 era) was an awesome spectacle, they looked and sounded great, whilst the championship boasted top quality drivers.

Unfortunatly esculating costs and technology put an end to the 'class one' cars and I have to agree a return to such a formula would be a disaster in the current motorsport climate.

While i stil prefer the current DTM over BTCC/ETCC, the old 'class one' cars will take some beating.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 09:08 (Ref:901711)   #8
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
What I dont understand is why is the only form of Motorsport that can survive with hi tech stuff is F1. Surely if a championship like the ITC was promoted to the level of F1 it should by rights be more succesfull because the man on the street can drive a car that looks like a Touring Car. And people buy cars like Audi RS6, BMW M3 CSL etc which look and have the power that is not far off too. If I see a Renault F1 car win I dont buy a Renault but If I see a 500bhp Megane win and similar technolgy is available on a road version I would.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 11:11 (Ref:901799)   #9
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What I dont understand is why is the only form of Motorsport that can survive with hi tech stuff is F1. Surely if a championship like the ITC was promoted to the level of F1 it should by rights be more succesfull because the man on the street can drive a car that looks like a Touring Car. And people buy cars like Audi RS6, BMW M3 CSL etc which look and have the power that is not far off too. If I see a Renault F1 car win I dont buy a Renault but If I see a 500bhp Megane win and similar technolgy is available on a road version I would.
Well it's all down to the money.

There can't be two classes of motorsport with the same manufacturers involved with sky high costs. It would be impossible for Renault to be in both F1 and a touring car series requiring the same budget.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 20:49 (Ref:902383)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What I dont understand is why is the only form of Motorsport that can survive with hi tech stuff is F1.
Thats not entirley true, look at series like the ALMS, LMES and FIA GT championships, all the cars there are very hi tech, particulary the LMP 1 class, the cars have traction control, paddle shift gearboxes, power steering, etc. Cars like the Audi R8 and Bentley EXP Speed 8 arent that far off F1 cars in terms of a technolgy stand point.