Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 6 Feb 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2826887)   #1
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kubica replacement

So, now we know Renault have lost their star driver for 2011 at least, who do you think Eric will be looking for?

Last week he said that Bruno Senna would be the replacement for another driver as he has the most recent experience of the 3rd drivers, but I am sure that he was looking at a race or 2 replacing Petrov. Fielding a lineup of Petrov and Senna with what looks like a pretty good car isn't something he will do.

So, who do you think would be best to replace Robert?

Eric sort of burned his bridges with Kimi, but maybe he could beg?

Nick Heidfeld would be a good choice. He beat Robert 2 out of 3 seasons so has shown he is up to it.

Hulkenburg has shown he has what it takes, so could probably be bought from FI.

Liuzzi is free now, and has shown that he can perform when luck doesn't crap on him.

Anyone else?
Old 6 Feb 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2826889)   #2
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Romain Grosjean
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/310120...-grosjean.html

Quote:

Romain Grosjean: It’s a great opportunity for me to be back in Formula 1 because my dream is to try and get back on the grid. It’s a good time to be here because this team is getting stronger and everybody saw how much the car improved last year. Now, with the arrival of Lotus as a partner, there is a real buzz about this team and it’s exciting to be a part of it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...-in-Italy.html
Quote:
Kubica’s team principal Eric Boullier said it was too early to discuss his driver’s chances of making Bahrain but if he fails to do so his seat will likely be taken by either Bruno Senna or Frenchman Romain Grosjean.

Both men have been named as “third” drivers by Renault, although Boullier has hinted Senna will be first reserve.
they should use the test to pick which driver is better
http://www.crash.net/gp2/news/166344...n_of_2011.html
Grosjean tops first GP2 test day of 2011

Last edited by thunderbolt; 6 Feb 2011 at 21:54.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2826890)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'd love Guerrieri had stayed in Europe...

Senns wouldn't be a bad choice.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2826891)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It's terrible news for Renault. They seem quietly confident that they've built a competitive car, but without a top-line driver it'll all be in vain. The thing is, who else is out there? I love Kimi Raikkonen, but he's got a contract with Citroen and has been away for couple of years. I think Heidfeld is possibly their best option.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2826893)   #5
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Piquet Jnr??!!
Old 6 Feb 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2826894)   #6
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
Grosjean is looking at winning GP2, and Boullier has already said that Senna would be ahead of their 3rd drivers. Even if the oportunity arose for Romain, I am sure he would remember last time when he could have won GP2 and been a hero, but instead joined F1 and ruined his rep.

Renault need an experienced driver to replace Kubica, Petrov isn't up to being #1 driver.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2826896)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grosjean or Senna.

Oh, the mediocrity.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2826900)   #8
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Senna for a year, see how he does, then if Robert isn't ready to come back, go and get one of the guys out of contract at the end of the year - Webber, Sutil, Glock, Kovalainen
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2826901)   #9
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
All depends on how many races he'll miss really. If it's only 2-3, they'd go with Senna. Any more than perhaps half the season they might look at a Heidfeld, Klien or Hulkenberg I'd say.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2826903)   #10
jaysalv
Veteran

England
romford essex
jaysalv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would be greta to se hulkenburg back out again as he proved last year that he is a competent driver better than senna i think
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2826904)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose it depends how quick the car is.

If it turned out to be the pacesetter then the idea of having one of the myriad of test dummies that Renault have compiled at the wheel as #1.... well, I can't see that appealing.

Perhaps the door is open again for this man. He's motivated. He has a point to prove. He's hungry. He has what IT takes. I give you...

Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2826910)   #12
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Antony Davidson should get the chance.None of the vast array of reserve or test drivers on the Renault books have both talent and money to offer so I would go for ability.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2826912)   #13
schead
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I suppose it depends how quick the car is.

If it turned out to be the pacesetter then the idea of having one of the myriad of test dummies that Renault have compiled at the wheel as #1.... well, I can't see that appealing.

Perhaps the door is open again for this man. He's motivated. He has a point to prove. He's hungry. He has what IT takes. I give you...

Would love to see him replacing the guy who replaced him
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:28 (Ref:2826923)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
If it turns out that Kubica will miss the whole season, and if I were Eric Boullier, I'd give Christian Horner a call and offer him some dough for the use of his No.2 driver.

Webber to Renault.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2826927)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Grosjean or Senna.

Oh, the mediocrity.
True.

None of names mentioned on this thread really fit the bill. It's a veritable who's who of meh.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2826931)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'm semi-serious about them poaching a driver from another team by the way. The chance to be No.1 at Renault would be tempting for the likes of Massa, Button or Webber, would it not?
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2826933)   #17
schead
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
If it turns out that Kubica will miss the whole season, and if I were Eric Boullier, I'd give Christian Horner a call and offer him some dough for the use of his No.2 driver.

Webber to Renault.
LOL, Webber can't ride a pushbike without breaking limbs. The list of banned activities for a Webber contract given they don't want the Kubica situation to happen again would span hundreds of pages.

Webber would have to wear padded clothes at all times and live in a cardboard box
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2826935)   #18
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. Red Bull using Renault engines surely will help getting a deal done. None of the other drivers mentioned as replacements are anywhere near good enough. It would suit all parties, Webber gets out of the Vettel Fan Club Team, Red Bull gets rid of a driver who clearly isn't that popular within the upper echelons of the team and Renault gets a clear N1 driver.

Depressing to write this stuff. Was getting genuinely excited about seeing Kubica in a quick car finally. What a shame.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2826939)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-racer View Post
Was getting genuinely excited about seeing Kubica in a quick car finally. What a shame.
Sums up my feelings too.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2826941)   #20
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although it would be nice to see Senna given the chance to run in a competitive car, the fact remains that there are fairly big question marks over his ultimate ability. That Christian Klien was able to jump into the HRT and immediately be quicker suggests that maybe Bruno wouldn't be up to the job.

Liuzzi has to be a real contender. I'm not great fan, but you cannot look past the fact he has experience and credential. He knows a contemporary, modern F1 car and how to qualify and run in the top 10. He's had a pretty rough career of late so almost deserves a change of fortune and the chance to show what he can really do. He'll also be knowledgable enough to be able to push on with development. For me he is the most worthy successor to the seat.

However, things may depend on exactly what the prognosis is for Robert. Sure things look difficult at the moment, but knowing what F1 drivers are like you can imagine it won't be long before Robert is thinking he can get back a.s.a.p, regardless of what the doctors say. Hopefully the recovery can be easier than first imagined and we'll see him back in the car before the end of the season.

Whatever choice gets made, Renault need to make their decision quickly. They have the opportunity to give the replacement some decent testing time prior to the start of the season. If Senna is given the bulk of the running at the next test, that may point in the direction they are heading
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2826951)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
It's terrible news for Renault. They seem quietly confident that they've built a competitive car, but without a top-line driver it'll all be in vain. The thing is, who else is out there? I love Kimi Raikkonen, but he's got a contract with Citroen and has been away for couple of years. I think Heidfeld is possibly their best option.
Who cares about Renault? It looks likely Mr Kubica will lose some use of his hand...

Webber to Renault is likely the best option... for Red Bull, Mr Vettel, Dr Marko and co..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2826953)   #22
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
redbull could lend them one of the toro rosso driver
Sebastien Buemi
Old 6 Feb 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2826956)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Who cares about Renault? It looks likely Mr Kubica will lose some use of his hand...
Can I not care for both?
Old 6 Feb 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2826957)   #24
schead
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
This thread is exactly about Renault. If you want to give sympathy to Kubica, go to http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126746

This thread is about who Renault will choose to replace their lead driver. Nothing to do with Kubica sympathy.

As for Webber, as I have previously said, it would be insane as he has a propensity to break limbs by riding bycycles.

My personal preference would be Heidfeld or Liuzzi.

Last edited by Super Hans; 6 Feb 2011 at 23:13.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2826961)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jacques Villeneuve would be an ideal replacem... oh, curse you, Knowles!
Closed Thread