N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Nope, he's French and he is very good.

Hes good but not quite as good as Ricciardo. Everytime they've gone against eachother Ricciardo has been the one who has shined the most. I wouldn't count the last few races they did together, in qualifying Vergne was no match but in the last few races Ricciardo was quite unlucky and in championship pressure.

Marko is also one of the biggest idiots in motorsport. I wouldn't go by anything he ever says hes extremely bias.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2834519)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MArko always has been like that, much like Willi Weber to be honest

These guys are as bas as agents in football, bigging their drivers up incessantly.

It has no place really in mototrsport, but sadly whereever there is money there will be nobs like this
Old 22 Feb 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2835224)   #28
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A-D.R View Post
Hes good but not quite as good as Ricciardo. Everytime they've gone against eachother Ricciardo has been the one who has shined the most. I wouldn't count the last few races they did together, in qualifying Vergne was no match but in the last few races Ricciardo was quite unlucky and in championship pressure.
We'll find out this season, won't we, when they go head-to-head in Formula Renault 3.5.

Of course, Ricciardo has a head start as he has a season's experience and should really have won it last year, but I wouldn't discount Vergne.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2835227)   #29
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
We'll find out this season, won't we, when they go head-to-head in Formula Renault 3.5.
It should be a fascinating battle.

A sort of unofficial shoot-out for Webber's seat.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2836128)   #30
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My short anwer to the thread's title is YES, they are! For two reasons:

1.) Both of their drivers are pretty useless, no teams really want either of them, they have 63 Grand Prix between them and I cant recall a single moment when I was blown away by either's performance (We can surely call Buemi's performance decent the odd occasion but that's it)

2.) I think the concept of Toro Rosso would be working better if they went with the usual Veteran vs Young Gun scenario. Im convienced they should have kept DC there for another season. Heidfeld could have been driving their car last year to show us what Buemi is really made of, Webbo should be getting his ride there soon (alright not in 2011)... I mean with two inexperienced drivers they are really going nowhere, there is no real benchmark, and no trustworthy feedback.

The bottom line is, if they always had a known quality in the other seat, then they and we (the rest of the world) could judge way more accurately just how much their young guns worth. For now, i will go with not much at all.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2836282)   #31
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Of course, Ricciardo has a head start as he has a season's experience and should really have won it last year, but I wouldn't discount Vergne.
Maybe a three way battle?
Hartley was dumped by Red Bull last year to make way for Vergne. He simply hadn't done enough to justify his seat, but he did have some pace at times.
This year is his chance to prove Red Bull were wrong and establish some sort of redemption for himself.
It would be interesting if he managed to beat both the Red Bull drivers in 2011.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2836304)   #32
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Hartley was dumped by Red Bull last year to make way for Vergne. He simply hadn't done enough to justify his seat, but he did have some pace at times.
This year is his chance to prove Red Bull were wrong and establish some sort of redemption for himself.
It would be interesting if he managed to beat both the Red Bull drivers in 2011.
Whilst I would agree that he wasn't without pace, he didn't appear as accomplished as the likes of Ricciardo, Vergne or Alguesauri and given this, I would be surprised if Red Bull were to re-engage Hartley and then promote him to F1 on the back of some potential good performances in a single season.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2836321)   #33
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I always thought Hartley looked the real deal, but it just hasn't happened for him.

I doubt he'll ever reach F1.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2836425)   #34
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
He definitely has the speed on his day, but his days are not everyday. I wish him well. Maybe he can find the consistency.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2836448)   #35
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
He definitely has the speed on his day, but his days are not everyday. I wish him well. Maybe he can find the consistency.
Yes, I hope he does.

If he manages to restore his reputation outside of the Red Bull stable it'll be doubly impressive.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2842627)   #36
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://translate.google.com.au/trans...0624%26cat%3D5

http://www.envivoahora.tv/cgi-bin/ev...ST%20MOTORLAND

Outstanding performance from Daniel Ricciardo in the first hour of testing. Il pilota australiano della ISR ha abbattuto il record della pista che apparteneva ad Adrian Quaife-Hobbs in 1'43”557. The Australian of the ISR has demolished the track record that belonged to Adrian Quaife-Hobbs in 1'43 "557. The Red Bull driver stopped the clock on the time of 1'42 "237,

DR comes out swinging haha
Old 9 Mar 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2842634)   #37
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
amazing how they can find such a performance increase on a car that's been exactly the same for 3 years in preseason testing, isn't it? especially on a "lap record" time that was clearly set with an underweight car in the first place
Old 9 Mar 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2843089)   #38
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
amazing how they can find such a performance increase on a car that's been exactly the same for 3 years in preseason testing, isn't it? especially on a "lap record" time that was clearly set with an underweight car in the first place
Guess trying to find the previous pole times was too much work, or doesn't suit someone's agenda.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 00:12 (Ref:2843122)   #39
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
both last years qualifying sessions were in the wet to be fair and pre-race test pace was a second to a second and a half slower, i was having a rummage earlier to see how the testing fastest laps carried forward into reality. i thought lap records generally only counted under certain conditions, but i guess renault prefer to look at things a bit differently.

all credit to ricciardo for producing the times to be fastest on both days this week. it'll be interesting to see how it carries forward to qualifying and race pace - from his quotes he seems to like the way isr work. the field is incredibly close for a 1m42s lap, so it's all the more important to get it spot on this year. great practice for f1
Old 10 Mar 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2843353)   #40
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Bella, lap records have to be set during a race, so they are generally slower than a banzai pole lap because the car has usually deteriorated by the time the fuel load has dropped.

Ricciardo looks like an exciting young driver!
Hopefully F1 next year as you say.