Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Jun 2002, 20:36 (Ref:304779)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Time for a Roll-Call.

Every now and then, curiosity overwhelms me, and I cannot resist wondering who all of you are out there. I know we've done this before, but some of you folks have come on board recently, and others kept schtum last time around.

I'm always stunned at the knowledge and diversity amongst our posters, and so I'm interested to know what your particular interests are in Historic Racing. Are you a researcher, competitor, archivist, spectator? Do Historic racing cars make up your total motor sport interest, or do you watch the modern machines too? Have you got any major projects on the go? What's your favourite epoch/series/legend?

And if you're a visitor from elsewhere in 10-tenths, but you don't necessarily post in Historics very often, don't be shy. Tell us what you're looking for, and maybe we can put something together to interest you.

Over to you....
Old 4 Jun 2002, 22:43 (Ref:304844)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey Tim, you know me!!

For those that don't i have a great deal of interest in the Group C era of sportscar racing stemming from my Dads participation in this era and one of my favourite racing machines ever (Porsche 956/962). I also loved F1 in the 80s but I am interested in the history of it in general right back to the start in 1950!

I am fascinated by the history of Le Mans too and the many stories it has to offer and the classic monuments which are quickly disappearing.

And on a personal note, I'm trying to get anything relevant to my Dads racing career. Many of you know about this and have helped, a BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!
Old 4 Jun 2002, 23:09 (Ref:304858)   #3
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, still here.

Like 50's 60's sportscars and F1 cars, also like Paul the Le Mans history. Have an idea for a Le Mans data base that I might look at doing.

Still like modern racing but interest in F1 is now minimal. Getting ready for Le Mans now which means probably missing Donny next weekend.

Simon
Old 5 Jun 2002, 01:28 (Ref:304911)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah I visit but dont often post , dont really know much about historics , but i enoy a read every now and then.

Kepp up the good works folks
Old 5 Jun 2002, 03:09 (Ref:304968)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love historic racing, but I don't get to post in here as much as I should do...

Since I'm still a relative young 'un, I've still got to learn an awful lot of the years gone by. But saying that, I love the modern day Historic Racing scene, and report on them for publications and newsletters such as Auto Action, The Oily Rag, the HRCC, the NSW Group N Association etc. I also do a spot of commentary at the track, and pretty had the last meeting to myself, hey Patto? Roll on July and the National meeting at Queensland Raceway!
Old 5 Jun 2002, 03:22 (Ref:304975)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My primary interest in motor sport is Touring Car racing and I must admit that my interest in Historic Racing tends to begin and end with Historic Touring Cars (classic saloons). I am a regular competitor in the Queensland Historic touring Car Championship and i also travel to Sydney a couple of times a year to race there as well. I used to race a Datsun 1600 (510) but have recentlty upgraded to a 1973 Holden LJ Torana GTR XU1, which I am slowly coming to grips with.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 10:21 (Ref:305125)   #7
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all, i dont post much here, but if i know something about something i will

Cyas

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 5 Jun 2002, 20:59 (Ref:305725)   #8
djeffries
Rookie

djeffries should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Started racing at 51 ...must be bloody stupid...best thing i've ever done. Read all the normal mags for years and been going to historic races since the 70's when JCB were spoonsoring them. It is all so friendly, yet competitive. Did the Tour Auto last year in a 1954 AC Ace Brsitol (thanks another Angela/David the owners) and we won a hill climb!!!! Will be co-driving this at Donington on saturday at the VSCC event. This is my first proper circuit race and will be sharing the drive for the 2 1/2 enduro race for sports cars at the end of the day. Lessons from Willie Green on Friday night..thanks Willie for this..if any of you are at Donington come along and say hello.

And for closers the most memorable event it was the 1999 Coys Historic Festival..seeing Sytner go through Woodcote in JCB D Type almost sideways in the rain...thanks frank it was good
Old 6 Jun 2002, 21:17 (Ref:306735)   #9
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone...

I'm new to this forum lark, but am finding the variety of subjects fascinating. My greatest interests are linked to modelling (of cars, that is!), and my main themes are Can-Am ('66 to '74) and the Carrera Panamericana Mexico, with side themes including Chaparral, Cunningham, Scarab and LSR.

About 40 Can-Am's built and 30 Panamericana plus a couple of dozen odds and sods, but the number of unbuilt kits grows much faster than the completed ones - a common modellers ailment. Hope my hands aren't too shaky when retirement comes along!

Have built a big library of books and magazines over the years, and am hooked on the web for photo sources - have downloaded hundreds of Can-Am pics, but always on the lookout for new sites, contributions welcome! Will be very pleased to share my sources with anyone, and to hear from fellow Can-Am fans.

Cheers!
Old 7 Jun 2002, 02:52 (Ref:306939)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome Dave, I have 10 uncompleted plastic kits at home, all in 1/24 scale, all in my posession for several years. I might finish them one day.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 04:54 (Ref:307001)   #11
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is my first visit ever. I got here by accident. Clumsy fingers.

I have almost finished a 1/20 Tamiya Honda RA272 kit.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 08:46 (Ref:307133)   #12
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw my first race in 1959 and immediately wanted to find out about the sport's history. Have been delving into the subject ever since, and have become increasingly fascinated with historic racing (as distinct from racing history). Have spent most of my working life as a journalist, and over the past 10-15 years have attended historic meetings in the UK and all over Europe as a reporter for a variety of publications.
My greatest passion is for single-seaters, primarily GP cars, with interest beginning to wane from the late 60s period. Can also get excited about sports-racers, but not with production-cars unless the competing vehicles are actually historic (ie, raced in period).
As far as modern stuff is concerned, I watch the GPs on the telly, but just don't have the time these days to follow other formulae as closely as I used to.
I always have several research/writing projects on the go - most never get finished, though I am in the final throes of writing a book on the 250F Maserati
Old 7 Jun 2002, 11:59 (Ref:307277)   #13
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I'm an archivist/researcher, as I run the website www.silhouet.com/motorsport, which takes up far too much of my time! I seem to acumulating things to do faster than I can get through them. If anyone has any spare time and doesn't mind doing something boring............
Old 8 Jun 2002, 19:11 (Ref:308204)   #14
quintin cloud
Rookie

quintin cloud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I run a formula 1 results page which covers reuslts from 1894 to present in my spear time,http://members.fortunecity.com/quintin_cloud but I do not make meanly coments on the site but love reading storys and the interesting questions put on the site.In the big bad world I'm a Eletronic Designer for a for a devlopment and production company in the arms industry.

Old 9 Jun 2002, 22:23 (Ref:309025)   #15
24thunder
Veteran

24thunder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello every1,just joined this board yesterday.I'll be hanging around the NASCAR board,surfed in here yesterday & found this gud board by accident,but was a pleasant surprise as every1's made Me feel welcome which I appreciate!I'm a new fan to NASCAR only becoming interested in it around 1998,& have only had this 'puter since Feb.of this year.I'm a amateur radio operator(advanced class)since 1989,& I'm a 44 year old male Whom lives near Dayton,OH.Hope every1 enjoyed the race at Pocono,PA.today,btw I was born in Philadelphia,PA.
#24,1995,1997,1998,2001 Champion,1991 Busch ROTY,1993 Nextel Cup ROTY,3 Daytona 500 victories,5 Southern 500 victories,4 time Brickyard 400 winner,3 Coca-Cola 600 wins,8 road course(record)victories!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 04:38 (Ref:309175)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm Scott from Australia, just 16 years old, so sadly I've missed a lot of the classic moments in racing history. Indeed my earliest Formula One memories contain Michael Schumacher. It is strange having never watched F1 without him. My earliest racing memories, amongst others, include the controversial Bathurst 1000 of 1992, and the Gold Coast Indy the next year, as well as assorted ATCC races in 91, 92, 93.

My love for Motor racing actual grew the most during 1997 - before then Rugby League viewing was my domain, but the Super League war in Australia trimmed my interest levels, and I began watching more F1 and V8 supercars.

Receiving books about the history of racing has only fueled my interest in historic racing - indeed, I PREFER reading about the old days of racing then today, in particular, mid-60's Formula 1, Le Mans from the same time, and even into the 1970's.

Grand Prix Legends gives me a window into that decade, while in real life, my best racing memory was seeing Kevin Bartlett parade a Ford GT40 around lakeside in 2000. I couldn't believe the noise! Amazing. Other than that, the tremendous battle at race two of the 2000 V8's at Lakeside also stands out as a great memory, as well as my first taste of international motorsport, at the 2001 Gold Coast Indy.

Ford has always been my main interest - I've followed the blue ovals interest all through history, with interests in the Gulf Fords at Le Mans in the 60's, The Cosworth DFV, and later on, the V8 Supercars. Lotus and Eagle are my other favourite makes from all time, with the Eagle my favourite car, alongside the Lotus 49, and perhaps some of Fords earlier Touring Car efforts.

As far as drivers go, of those I've seen in my time, Dick Johnson, Damon Hill, Mika Hakkinen, Giancarlo Fisichella, Craig Lowndes and Marucs Ambrose stand out as being my favourites. Historically, Jim Clark, Stewert, Moss etc are all heros, while Senna has always held an interesting avenue of exploration, as has Gilles Villeneuve.

I am fortunante that, despite missing all the historic motor racing (through having not been born), I have had the oppurtunity to learn alot of it over the internet, through sites such as this, Dennis Davids marvellous site, and the Atlas F1 Nostalgia forum, along with many books and other associated items. I've even set up my own site - http://cfm.globalf1.net - it's focused around motor racing in general, but I do the odd historic feature every now and then.

Motorsport magazine is a fav of mine, but alas, I am running out of time, so basically...I love history of racing.

Scott
Old 10 Jun 2002, 06:16 (Ref:309213)   #17
FA-reject

I haven't posted much, but I've been around awhile. I'm really suprised at the interest allot of you guys from "across the pond" have in early Indy stuff. I figured you guys were just interested in F1. Anyway, I'm a former driver. I did the Atlantics in the late 70's, and some NASCAR in the early 90's. Didn't do very well in either, got my butt kicked by some big names, but I had some fun. I'm about halfway through rebuilding an old Ralt for vintage racing, and I just found a deal on a old F1 car. I might have 2 reasons for a another ex-wife. Racing does that.

Old 10 Jun 2002, 15:29 (Ref:309749)   #18
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Everyone

As requested by TimD for a roll call, I'd like to say Hi to everyone - I too am amazed at the incredible racing knowledge on the forums.
I am a professional Motorsports artist and have clients from Ferrari, Senna, Montoya, DC, Hill, Mansell, Murray Walker etc. aswell as many drivers and teams from all forms of the sport worldwide including club racing and historics.
If interested you can see my work on my website - see my profile.
I love historic racing - in particular HSCC / AMOC events and the Goodwood Revival - but I also visit a lot of modern F3/GT & BTCC meetings.
I have been a racing nut all my life - my father was a race mechanic in the 60s /70s and as a child was always taken along in all weathers!
I hope you like my work.
Andrew.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 19:37 (Ref:309932)   #19
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, here goes. As you can see, I am a little shy when it comes to actually posting but I have been reading this forum weekly for over a year. I am a racing nut through and through, but more and more I find myself drawn towards the historic period and contempory historic racing. I have no professional connection with racing (I am a teacher in the real world), but I did do a fair bit of marshalling until I realised I got more fun from wandering around paddocks and taking trackside pictures. At present my year revolves around the two fantastic Goodwood meetings - I am a member of the GRRC which provides access to the paddock at the revival meeting each year-BLISS!
I am in my late 20's, and my first motorsport memory was watching the 1979 RAC rally - I've never looked back since. I am captivated by the romance of Le Mans and the heroism of 60's GP racing. I attend all kinds of meetings from clubbies and hillclimbs to the very occasional foray to the Belgium GP, usually taking pictures.
Greatest moments??? Well, seeing Sir Stirling lapping the 250F in the wet at Goodwood '99, meeting my childhood hero Gerhard Berger, walking into the grandstands at Le Mans and seeing the circuit for the first time.... God knows really, I only hope there are just as many yet to come.
It's great to get to know people a little better,
Happy posting.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 10:28 (Ref:310496)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm interested in the history of racing, in tales from the 20s and the 30s,... I'd just like to be a historian of the sport, mainly centered in F1 and Indy style racing...
Old 12 Jun 2002, 14:30 (Ref:311628)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was introduced to racing in 1971 at the Canadian GP, and have been interested ever since. My level of interest seems to have reflected the quality of racing at Mosport, so over the last few years it has been increasing... F1, Can-Am, CART, IMSA (old and new), Le Mans.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Jun 2002, 20:58 (Ref:313062)   #22
YellaBelly
Rookie

YellaBelly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey, this is my first post (only registered today). I'm only 18, but am a huge fan of Historic and vintage racing. Go to all th VScc meetings every year and have been since i was 10, also go to all the big festivals/meetings (i can also remember sytner going round woodcote sideways - looks very impressive on the video - pearson heart must have been in his mouth). I like anything, apart from pre-war sportscars - bentleys and the lark just don't interest me. I have a big soft spot for ERA's and BRM's as i live about 10miles from Bourne.

Got an octagon season ticket this year, so going to lots of the smaller meetings that i never used to bother with (used to go to touring cars, GT/F3). Went to 750MC meeting at cadwell - some of the best racing i've seen.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 07:12 (Ref:315202)   #23
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I'm from New Zealand, main interest 60's to 80's touring/saloon cars, also sports cars, rally, almost anything Alfa Romeo and most Italian. Motorsport memories include late 60's early 70's at Bay Park circuit (now closed) watching F5000 single seaters and saloon car races with Mustangs, Camaros and Twin Cam Escorts.

I remember Rally of New Zealand in early 80's (83?) and the amazing sound of the supercharged Lancia Rally 037 in the Maramarua forest just south of Auckland, and the following year the even more amazing (terrifying?) sound of the Audi Quattro sport. Standing up the top of a cliff and before it came into view I could hear this banging sound, like someone was firing a gun.... funny I thought, wrong time of the year for duck shooting season. Then the helicopter comes into view and we are looking down this straight, but distracted by the helicopter.... then all of a sudden a Quattro Sport comes and it has almost covered the length of straight before we even see it, then there is this almighty **BANG** as the driver lifts off, changes gear and sets up for the corner -- I get such a fright I almost fall down the cliff!!!! The Quattro turns the corner and quickly disappears from view... someone should have warned us about Anti-Lag.

Later that day I travel to watch a tarmac stage... it's pouring with rain so that there are little rivers crossing the road and you really can't see where you are going at normal road speeds. We watch the cars but can't see much.... it's a fast stage and it sounds like the Quattros are hitting the rev limiter in 6th. We later learn that Walter Röhrl averaged over 100mph through the stage! In later years we see the Lancia Delta Integrale, but after the Group B cars, everything else seems so tame.

Other memories include TWR Group A Jags and following year the Rovers at Pukekohe raceway (near Auckland) and another year watching the Schnitzer BMW M3's win the 500km endurance race (88,89?) around the streets of the Wellington Waterfront circuit.

Done the auto modelling thing and also have the half built kits to prove it. Main motorsport activity (when I can afford it) is racing my Alfa Romeo Alfasud Ti in (post)historic/classic events. I'm new to racing - only done a few meetings.

Been here about a month, enjoying the forum.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 08:04 (Ref:315878)   #24
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Age 27, race a 1972 Triumph Spitfire, drive a 1954 TR-2 on the road and in light rallys.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 08:28 (Ref:315891)   #25
Delman
Rookie

Delman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aged 56, currently (and for the past 30yrs) residing in the Illawarra NSW,had an abiding passion for racing since'62, when my father and I did some work for both Stirling and Pat Moss, but never had the money or time (or balls) to do anything about it. F1 in particular before 1980. Currently more interested in Historics. Does anyone else remember an Anglia known as 'The Green Bean" at Brands about '66?