Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Apr 2002, 15:43 (Ref:273393)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rob Walker passes away

From Autosport.com

Formula 1's most famous privateer team owner from the 1950s and 1960s, Rob Walker, has died.

Walker was best known for running Coopers and Lotuses for Sir Stirling Moss, who claimed both marques' first Grand Prix victories at Monaco in the team's blue and white colours.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 16:27 (Ref:273410)   #2
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He also ran a Lotus 49 for Jo Siffert and a 49/72 for the great Graham Hill. Coupled with Ken Tyrell's sad demise, there is little to remind us that F-1 has it's roots in successful privateers. It has certainly changed, hasn't it?
Old 29 Apr 2002, 16:39 (Ref:273414)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a copy of his biography. Rob was an extraordinary man, and was one of those who packed into his lifetime about three times what most people achieve.

Definitely a legend, he was instrumental both in providing us with some of the great influences on the sport, and in showing the sport something of what it was losing.

We shan't see his like again.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 17:20 (Ref:273444)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Darn. I owe my love of F1 largely to his wonderful race reports in Road and Track. It was only later that I learned of his role as an entrant. He was a remarkable gentleman. The saddest incident in his life has to be his incidental involvement in Mike Hawthorne's fatal road accident. He wrote about it often,, and his remorse and saddness were obvious. It cannot have been easy being involved in the spaort through all those tragic years, but his grace and wit were undiminished by the time he spent.
RIP, Mr Walker, you brought a love of Grand Prix Racing to a lot of kids in the Sates.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 09:11 (Ref:274019)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Rob Walker 1917 - 2002

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.cfm?id=18799&series=5
Old 30 Apr 2002, 10:17 (Ref:274132)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad news indeed. The last of the great privateers.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 10:26 (Ref:274151)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Yes!! He loved motor racing, and he put Sterling Moss into his cars which brought him some well earned success. I was thinking of him when someone posted a thread about Sterling the other day.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 15:48 (Ref:274475)   #8
JPBeltoise
Rookie

JPBeltoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Darn. I owe my love of F1 largely to his wonderful race reports in Road and Track...RIP, Mr Walker, you brought a love of Grand Prix Racing to a lot of kids in the Sates.
Indeed. I also grew up reading Rob Walker's wonderful accounts in Road & Track. His writing always reflected just the right combination of British aristocratic sophistication and self-deprecating humor. My favorite story, which Rob related himself in one of his articles, concerns an incident when he was looking for his wife after the Italian Grand Prix one year:

Rob Walker: "Has anyone seen my nearest and dearest?"

Jackie Stewart: "Well, you're already here, aren't you, Rob?"

It was little stories like this that helped readers who had never seen a Formula One race imagine what the atmosphere at a Grand Prix weekend must have been like back in the 1970's.
Old 1 May 2002, 04:11 (Ref:275074)   #9
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I, as well, have memories of his Road and Track articles, and also learned more about him only much later in my life. I think it's fair to say that he lived a long and interesting life.
Old 2 May 2002, 20:31 (Ref:276778)   #10
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob Walker dead at 84

Team owner Rob Walker established a partnership with Stirling Moss and later Seppi Siffert.
A finer gentlemen then Rob was never in F1. It is a great loss to the sport. RIP.
For full story see BBC Sport, Formula one.
Old 2 May 2002, 21:55 (Ref:276852)   #11
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And a great loss to motorsport journalism as well. The end of an era.