Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Apr 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1569937)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HSCC - Donington - 2nd April (with photos)

A great turn out of cars and drivers for the HSCC's season opener which was slightly marred by the extremely squally weather that decided to appear just before the start of Race 1. As a result, 2 lap warm up laps became the 'norm' and a number of 'offs' gradually set the meeting back so that by 5.00pm, when, unfortunately, I had to leave the circuit, Race 6 was still underway with 3 more to run.

I had some interesting chats with drivers, none of whom knew me, but were all happy to chat to this old enthusiast about their cars. It was a really friendly meeting.

Big disappointment must have been felt by Nelson Rowe, poleman for the Classic FF1600 race, who drove away from the field in the appalling conditions only to make a mistake at the Old Hairpin, when lapping a backmarker. A fine drive which ended sadly in the gravel trap.

I'll shortly post a few paddock pics. taken before the adverse weather set in.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1569971)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Awaiting the scrutineering bay!

Loti to the fore:-

Busy scene:-
Old 4 Apr 2006, 11:19 (Ref:1569993)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I do believe an occaisional ten-tenther got herself a class win too, then drove home in the car.

a whole day out in the wet is usually enough to render most Italian cars write offs !
Old 4 Apr 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1570013)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
You mean this one, Zef, driven by Louise Kennedy?

Old 4 Apr 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1570016)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Here's one for Al; James O'Mahony's Camaro:-

Old 4 Apr 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1570028)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Thats the one John
Old 4 Apr 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1570030)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Three more for good measure!

David Beckett's Nerus:-

Tony Goodwin's Gemini Mk2:-

Tony Pearson's S-Type Jaguar:-

Old 4 Apr 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1570088)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My two favourite cars of the day

Old 4 Apr 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1570090)   #9
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep the pics coming chaps, any 'modern' single seater shots, ie 70s/80s ?? Btw, is Louise Kennedy related to David K ?
Old 4 Apr 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1570093)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
see above for a 70's single seater March 761
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1570105)   #11
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Modern(ish) Chevron B40 another beautiful car IMHO
I'll stop now so I dont get in trouble

Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1570143)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Lovely stuff, Paul. I guess these were taken during qualifying; there's no water!

I loved the old Ford Zephyr, too!

(PS, Dan, all my shots are of the cars stationary and I'm keeping some of the single seater pics back for the Chassis Archive).
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1570154)   #13
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Did it rain????
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1570161)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes indeed. I tend to use a camcorder for the actual racing; hence not many action shots; I leave that to you professionals. I've got some lovely film of ....... great plumes of water spray ....... I think there are cars in front of them!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1570599)   #15
stevec205gti
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
stevec205gti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I ended up staying up until the end as my friend was racing in the classic F3. I spent far too long stood on top of the bridge watching the cars come down thorugh Craner. It ended up far to cold, gloomy, wet and windy for me to get any decent pics in the end - still it's all good fun!!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1570688)   #16
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi - Louise Kennedy here. Thanks Zef for the mention - I have to say that the poor weather conditions played into my and hubby Jason's hands with our Lancia's being front wheel drive. Making up 11 places and getting a faster time than many in the top 10 isn't bad for a little 1300 car in the smallest class!

John - what a fabulous photo of my car. I do hope you don't mind if I use it as the screen saver on my computer. It shows off the car's restoration beautifully - wonderful!

To answer the question, no, I'm not aware that I am related to David K. I'm a Kennedy by marriage and Jason doesn't have a huge family so I doubt it.

I would say that the HSCC meeting was run really well (as usual) except for the timing issue. For some reason many of the DBT cars were allowed to dive into the pits to change to dry weather tyres (yes, dry when it was wet) which created a huge delay. This meant our race (last of the day) didn't start until about 6.10pm which meant for a dark and dank drive home in our racing cars. Mind you the weather was so bad on the way home it didn't really matter if it was dark or light!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1570702)   #17
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was there, took a couple of pictures of what i could untill it started raining.
Overall a good turnout.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1571229)   #18
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK

I would say that the HSCC meeting was run really well (as usual) except for the timing issue. For some reason many of the DBT cars were allowed to dive into the pits to change to dry weather tyres (yes, dry when it was wet) which created a huge delay. This meant our race (last of the day) didn't start until about 6.10pm which meant for a dark and dank drive home in our racing cars. Mind you the weather was so bad on the way home it didn't really matter if it was dark or light!
Hi Louise. I'm sorry that we lost the timetable a bit - not up to our usual standard . The 2 green flag laps for nearly all the races (dry practice-wet race) cost us quite a bit of time but the DBT cars didn't help!!! BTW - They weren't 'allowed' to do what they did - they just did it!!!!! - like naughty children!!!! I'm not pleased!!!!
Old 5 Apr 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1571251)   #19
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi John - thanks for clarifying. Sorry if I inferred they were "allowed" to do this but it did seem an age before officialdom stepped in to get them to grid up properly. I think we all could have understood had they been changing from dry tyres to wets as clearly that's a safety issue but wets to drys? I thought it was fantastic that the eventual winner was one that didn't change his tyres and was still on his wets!

As usual, your team did a fab job and of course I really can't complain as I had a wonderful race in my little front wheel drive. Next time however, maybe we should let the DBT guys race at the end of the day and then they can take as long as they want to change tyres without affecting others!

Still, a great day all in all with some great racing in the changeable conditions and not too many incidents (that we saw). Thanks John to your team and see you at Brands when we are next out with the HSCC. We will be hoping for both wet conditions for me in the Fulvia and very dry conditions for Jason in the Griffith!
Old 5 Apr 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1571278)   #20
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK
Hi John - thanks for clarifying. Sorry if I inferred they were "allowed" to do this but it did seem an age before officialdom stepped in to get them to grid up properly. I think we all could have understood had they been changing from dry tyres to wets as clearly that's a safety issue but wets to drys? I thought it was fantastic that the eventual winner was one that didn't change his tyres and was still on his wets!

As usual, your team did a fab job and of course I really can't complain as I had a wonderful race in my little front wheel drive. Next time however, maybe we should let the DBT guys race at the end of the day and then they can take as long as they want to change tyres without affecting others!

Still, a great day all in all with some great racing in the changeable conditions and not too many incidents (that we saw). Thanks John to your team and see you at Brands when we are next out with the HSCC. We will be hoping for both wet conditions for me in the Fulvia and very dry conditions for Jason in the Griffith!
Yes it did take too long to put the DBT situation right but, to be fair to the pits/startline team, they were totally 'wrong footed' - as was I sitting in the pace car!!
I was tempted to just start the race with the few that were correctly on the grid but that seemed a bit too confrontational - next time I will LOL

As you say 'natural justice' prevailed for the eventual winner.
Your weather 'order' for Brands is noted and we'll do our best to oblige
Old 5 Apr 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1571545)   #21
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By allowing the DBT drivers extra time to change tyres etc the delays caused had a significant negative effect on the runners in the later races. The last 3 races (Historic Road Sports, CF3 & 70's Road Sports) all suffered a 33% reduction in their track time.

I assume the HSCC will be refunding these drivers a proportion of their entry fee?
Old 5 Apr 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1571572)   #22
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to MST, they all got their scheduled 15 minutes.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1571576)   #23
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Gibleto
By allowing the DBT drivers extra time to change tyres etc the delays caused had a significant negative effect on the runners in the later races. The last 3 races (Historic Road Sports, CF3 & 70's Road Sports) all suffered a 33% reduction in their track time.

I assume the HSCC will be refunding these drivers a proportion of their entry fee?
I have just checked the official records and your comments are completely inaccurate. The DBT race however, quite rightly, did have their race distance cut.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1571600)   #24
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thououghly enjoyable day despite the poor afternoon weather. Nice to see some of the races oversubscribed with reserves listed and a decent sized grid for the DBT race.

I don't know if it's because it's the start of the season or if the preparation standard is simply getting better, but the cars seem better turned out and more reliable than before.

There was even some off track entertainment for those parked overlooking the Craners with the attempted recovery of the Renault Scenic from the grass/clay slime!

And to add to the photos from John Turner & Paul Sands, mine are at http://alfaholic.fotopic.net/c913830.html
Old 6 Apr 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1572352)   #25
stevec205gti
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
stevec205gti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic

There was even some off track entertainment for those parked overlooking the Craners with the attempted recovery of the Renault Scenic from the grass/clay slime!
And for those that missed it:-