Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jul 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3751585)   #26
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It's been mentioned by an organiser that this year will mark the Spa 6hrs meeting's 25th anniversary. Anyone confirm that? Fingers crossed the proposed Memorial Barry S-S race will be well supported in his memory. From not even expecting to be there, looks like I am now driving in 3 races, including the 6. Good job I didn't make any alternative plans for the weekend......
You could be Right there Mike. I first went in 92 and ran a car in the F2 race. Thats when I could not get the transit up Eue Rouge.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3752093)   #27
NHSL
Rookie

NHSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just dug out my old result sheets. The first 6 hours was run on July 17/18 1993, and track time was all on one day with qualifying in the morning and the race starting at 12 noon, so it will be the 25th anniversary in 2018. 40 cars qualified and 27 finished the race including a Vauxhall Victor!

The 1994 race was held over 2/3 July and 59 cars qualified and 35 finished. 3 x GB teams finished in 1993 and 2 x GB teams in 1994. We finished both years and the car (TVR Grantura) is still going strong and is now owned by Robi Bernberg.

Perhaps the organisers might like to consider a freebie entry to those of us who competed in the first one?
Old 17 Jul 2017, 09:41 (Ref:3752097)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Lap times have probably come down 25% , possibly getting to 2:42 this year ?
Old 17 Jul 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3752102)   #29
NHSL
Rookie

NHSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lap times: Going back to the result sheet again here are a few times from the 1993 race, in all cases the fastest lap by that type of car.

N Reis Elan (winners) 3.09.12
G Sevin Porsche 911 3.13.14
D Welch Healey 3.15.82
G Peeters MGB 3.18.53
M Madel E type 3.18.99
M van Thiel Mini Cooper S 3.24.78
S Hadfield Elite 3.24.98
N Lees Grantura 3.26.81
H Wellink Vauxhall Victor 3.54.07

As far as I remember tyre rules were fairly relaxed, we ran Avon ZZs, and I think some cars were on Dunlop Rs. Most people drove to finish, we certainly did and the car was in rally trim with pressed steel wheels, non close ratio box and we even had the Halda running throughout!
The next year we had a C/R box, Oselli engine, alloy wheels, competition brakes..... and covered one lap less! Mind you there was a 40 minute safety car during a hailstorm of biblical proportions which blew the startline gantry through 90 degrees. Happy days, and I'm there this year too, but only in the HSCC race.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3752129)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
my first visit in 2004 in the Cortina GT I just got under 3:30 . . . last time in 2015 did a 3:14 pleased with that, I don't think theres any more in the car reliably or legally. I'm trying to get there for hscc races as well they are good fun and good value, but Arthur starts a new school the week before, and its his birthday that weekend as well so I'm struggling!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3752316)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
3.18 for that MGB is not bad . Me and Brian were doing 15/16's a couple of weeks ago and we were quickest MGB. The bus stop was quicker back then but still a good time.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:11 (Ref:3752475)   #32
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Not only the bus stop was changed but they also replaced gravel with macadam along the dangerous curves like Pouhon which makes people dare more than they did before. A good move for safety, gravel has a tendency to make cars roll over.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3752763)   #33
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Not only the bus stop was changed but they also replaced gravel with macadam along the dangerous curves like Pouhon which makes people dare more than they did before. A good move for safety, gravel has a tendency to make cars roll over.
yes we lost a F3 rolled at Pouhon.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 14:09 (Ref:3752798)   #34
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry to hear that delta. I saw an E Type rolled during the 6 hrs but can't remember the year. When we did it with a Spitfire I knew I couldn't go out fast because too tall for this car fitted with a hardtop. Scary.
There still are two bad guard rails, on outside of Blanchimont 2 and the one outside pitlane exit/ Raidillon.
As to the very good lap time you mentioned I think its hard to compare from one year to another. The region of 3'14 sounds really great for a B.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3753981)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
An provisional timetable and other info can be found on Masters website-

http://www.mastershistoricracing.com...hours2017.pdf/
Old 24 Jul 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3753984)   #36
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I think we need to get a petition going and get organizers to carry on calling the 1 hour race "barry's race". WDYT. You know them well Tel???
Old 24 Jul 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3754006)   #37
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bit like when circuits re-name corners, if you use the old name every one knows where you mean! To me (and I'm sure a lot of others), the '1 hr' is still 'Barry's Race', but official recognition would be a nice gesture....
Old 25 Jul 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3754250)   #38
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard back from Vincent,it has been agreed to keep Barry's spirit alive in the onehour@spa.
Special thanks to Vincent and Alain although I very much doubt they would evet forget Barry.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3754273)   #39
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Just heard back from Vincent,it has been agreed to keep Barry's spirit alive in the onehour@spa.
Special thanks to Vincent and Alain although I very much doubt they would evet forget Barry.
Well done Terry. I will buy you pizza in a couple of weeks at Old Timer.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3754292)   #40
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be great to meet up Iain.👍👍
Old 24 Aug 2017, 22:27 (Ref:3761433)   #41
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One make racing

Only 17 GT40s on the enty list this year ........ Or did I miss one ???

http://www.spasixhours.com/wp-conten...xhours2017.pdf
Old 25 Aug 2017, 07:02 (Ref:3761469)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Ford sponsored event?I assume they are all trully "Historic".
Old 25 Aug 2017, 07:25 (Ref:3761473)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just heard from a mate that the Barry Sidery-Smith race is way over subscribed. Good to hear it.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 08:52 (Ref:3761485)   #44
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just heard from a mate that the Barry Sidery-Smith race is way over subscribed. Good to hear it.
And good to see you calling it the BS-S Race and not the unimagative 'Spa 1hr'.....
Old 27 Aug 2017, 05:10 (Ref:3761841)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It'll be interesting to see what Chris Ward does with the GT40 he has to use.Maybe raise a few eyebrows🤔
Old 27 Aug 2017, 07:21 (Ref:3761853)   #46
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Almost a complete GT lock out now, it used to be almost 50% saloons. Nothing small capacity either. Who said variety is the spice of life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
Only 17 GT40s on the enty list this year ........ Or did I miss one ???

http://www.spasixhours.com/wp-conten...xhours2017.pdf
Old 27 Aug 2017, 09:42 (Ref:3761877)   #47
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
It'll be interesting to see what Chris Ward does with the GT40 he has to use.Maybe raise a few eyebrows🤔

With the ride height they now run them at (especially the front axle) , maybe they should be called GT38s to distinguish them ??
The eyebrows are already lowered & should be raised !!
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3762274)   #48
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Almost a complete GT lock out now, it used to be almost 50% saloons. Nothing small capacity either. Who said variety is the spice of life?
Time for a separate race for saloons and Sports car < 2 litres?
Old 28 Aug 2017, 12:10 (Ref:3762318)   #49
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Good idea, and or a separate race for continuation cars!
Old 28 Aug 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3762325)   #50
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post

With the ride height they now run them at (especially the front axle) , maybe they should be called GT38s to distinguish them ??
The eyebrows are already lowered & should be raised !!
Has the 100mm rule been changed?