Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Aug 2023, 11:14 (Ref:4171960)   #26
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would assume that the cost of losing the TBL is greater than getting a car out on the grid for the weekend. Running it with minimal staff, minimal tyres, used brakes, etc won't be that much.
Old 9 Aug 2023, 11:40 (Ref:4171962)   #27
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Huff's doing them a huge favour, and I would not expect him to be paying for it!
More likely to be the exact opposite
Old 9 Aug 2023, 12:41 (Ref:4171970)   #28
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question I have is, How much has Tony splashed out for this one weekend for Huffy's services, and how has it been funded? I can't imagine Bobby is happy about it, potentially his season could have continued for at least Croft if its coming out of Tony's pocket.

IAt the time the paddock rumbling was that Chilly/PMR wrote a 5 figure cheque for him in 2017 for that Silverstone weekend and I sincerely doubt he's any cheaper today.
Old 9 Aug 2023, 12:49 (Ref:4171973)   #29
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Special tartan livery for NAPA!

https://twitter.com/naparacinguk/sta...T11pmdgnSSDQzA
Old 9 Aug 2023, 12:51 (Ref:4171975)   #30
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
The question I have is, How much has Tony splashed out for this one weekend for Huffy's services, and how has it been funded? I can't imagine Bobby is happy about it, potentially his season could have continued for at least Croft if its coming out of Tony's pocket.
I can see why Bobby might be upset - but if your choice is between:
  • A BTCC race winner and multiple podium sitter (from a single season), WTCC champion with a 2nd and two 3rds to their name, plus a STCC title.
or
  • a record of one 2nd and one 3rd in the BTCC over five seasons

and it was your money funding the seat, who would you put in?
Old 9 Aug 2023, 12:53 (Ref:4171976)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I wonder if they are also going to mix up the driver numbers / names on the cars for the weekend?
Old 9 Aug 2023, 13:13 (Ref:4171980)   #32
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I wonder if they are also going to mix up the driver numbers / names on the cars for the weekend?
Tim Harvey already does that.
Old 9 Aug 2023, 14:16 (Ref:4171990)   #33
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can only assume Shedden wasn’t available. I would have thought he would have been a nailed on Knockhill super sub - or John Cleland
Old 9 Aug 2023, 14:17 (Ref:4171991)   #34
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Can only assume Shedden wasn’t available. I would have thought he would have been a nailed on Knockhill super sub - or John Cleland
Shedden might have already driven on the circuit during this season, which would have required an exemption.
Old 9 Aug 2023, 14:29 (Ref:4171992)   #35
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Shedden might have already driven on the circuit during this season, which would have required an exemption.
I doubt TOCA would have vetoed the local hero or indeed that he has not driven it in the past - just not raced on it probably
Old 9 Aug 2023, 15:02 (Ref:4171995)   #36
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post

IAt the time the paddock rumbling was that Chilly/PMR wrote a 5 figure cheque for him in 2017 for that Silverstone weekend and I sincerely doubt he's any cheaper today.
He may not be getting paid. If he didn't have anything else on this weekend and Tony offered him the seat for free (and any damage costs are waived) then why wouldn't he have a go.
Old 9 Aug 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4171999)   #37
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember a report linking Huff to TCR UK when he was at a test earlier in the year (along with Guintoli) and thought to myself - he'll only get a shot if someone pays him big! Never going to happen. And I imagine dragging a BTCC budget together is harder than doing the TCR World Tour.

But if you think about it, as said above, at 43 years old this is actually a great deal for him if he's thinking of slowing down travelling the world and would like a few years at 'home' to finish his career off. If the weekend is a waste - it's the car and the team. If he puts in a good showing - then it's all down to him - he could go to teams and sponsors and say "look what I could do with the HARD Cupra - imagine what I could do with testing and a full season in a decent car?"

Mind you, if he has a good weekend I bet Mark Proctor won't be chuffed - there was a rumour that Senna was standing in the wings after Croft - if Huff pulls ut a good result he won't be able to bargain the drive down!
Old 9 Aug 2023, 15:33 (Ref:4172000)   #38
JDMROB
Racer

JDMROB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huff is no mug and I can’t see he would be attracted to a drive in the BTCC as a one off unless there was a guarantee of a well prepped car with new brakes and a decent number 1 running him all weekend. It’s a great opportunity for Tony to gain some credibility and prove the car is quick so assume he will chuck the kitchen sink at it this weekend.

But who knows….!!
Old 9 Aug 2023, 15:55 (Ref:4172004)   #39
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMROB View Post
Huff is no mug and I can’t see he would be attracted to a drive in the BTCC as a one off unless there was a guarantee of a well prepped car with new brakes and a decent number 1 running him all weekend. It’s a great opportunity for Tony to gain some credibility and prove the car is quick so assume he will chuck the kitchen sink at it this weekend.

But who knows….!!
In the Autosport article, Huff mentions "I know the engineering team and people [Gilham's] drafted in." Makes it sound like there could be some decent people coming in for the weekend.
Old 9 Aug 2023, 19:23 (Ref:4172019)   #40
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can see why Bobby might be upset - but if your choice is between:
  • A BTCC race winner and multiple podium sitter (from a single season), WTCC champion with a 2nd and two 3rds to their name, plus a STCC title.
or
  • a record of one 2nd and one 3rd in the BTCC over five seasons

and it was your money funding the seat, who would you put in?
Another way of viewing it, a 2023 podium finisher in that actual car, in the current season, who knows the team inside out in the past 5 years and has developed the car or a driver who has a a lotal sum of three NGTC races, all of which were 5 years ago and hasn't raced at Knockhill in 19 years.

[for the avoidance of doubt I competely agree with the deal, I'm sure Huffy will pull a bit of a result out of the car, I'm just saying Bobby would have a right to feel pretty aggrieved in the way he was dumped by TG for money reasons, then a couple of short weeks later the team can afford to bring in a name driver who lives in Dubai and drives racing cars for a living so quite plainly is getting a wage to do so by the smallest team on the grid (budget-wise) Money talks but this just feels weird.Lose two drivers to budget issues then bringing in a pretty big name multiple champion. [BMR level of weird!] Maybe Matt and Dynamics opened commercial doors previously closed?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
In the Autosport article, Huff mentions "I know the engineering team and people [Gilham's] drafted in." Makes it sound like there could be some decent people coming in for the weekend.
From what I gather more Dynamics guys have joined as Matt is winding down the race team operation, the motorhome and hauler went this week.

Last edited by tocatrucky; 9 Aug 2023 at 19:30.
Old 10 Aug 2023, 07:49 (Ref:4172040)   #41
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see Huff back even if it is only for 1 weekend. I’ve always thought he had unfinished business in BTCC having only ever done a few seasons with seat.
Old 10 Aug 2023, 07:49 (Ref:4172041)   #42
coffinpilot
Racer

Interesting in the Autosport piece online yesterday that it said Nic Hamilton "left the squad on Saturday morning" which I suppose could be read as gone for good or something else.

In the magazine this morning it reads: "Hamilton quit the Kent squad before free practice at the most recent round."

HARD haven't confirmed a permanent split, makes you wonder when/if they will. Some fans think the relationship is repairable if you hit Facebook.
Old 10 Aug 2023, 08:03 (Ref:4172044)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We’ll see if Hamilton comes back this year. If not, at least he has a top 10 to shout about even if it was by extreme circumstances. Anyway look forward to seeing how Huffy goes this weekend. The brother of a former world champion gets replaced by a former world champion!
Old 10 Aug 2023, 08:42 (Ref:4172051)   #44
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
We’ll see if Hamilton comes back this year. If not, at least he has a top 10 to shout about even if it was by extreme circumstances. Anyway look forward to seeing how Huffy goes this weekend. The brother of a former world champion gets replaced by a former world champion!
Shhh! Don't tell Chilton it was extreme circumstances!!
Old 10 Aug 2023, 09:02 (Ref:4172052)   #45
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
HARD haven't confirmed a permanent split, makes you wonder when/if they will
Yeah noticed that too, seems to be a bit of tiptoeing around that subject. Certainly doesn’t sound like a very amicable split so can’t see him returning - perhaps a switch to GTs would be more fruitful to him.

With Nathan Harrison testing mid-season, he seems a likely candidate for the rest of season if the money is there (which it may not be!)
Old 10 Aug 2023, 09:13 (Ref:4172054)   #46
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
HARD haven't confirmed a permanent split, makes you wonder when/if they will. Some fans think the relationship is repairable if you hit Facebook.
Maybe the team feel they have a valid contract, with money owed to them?
Old 10 Aug 2023, 21:33 (Ref:4172095)   #47
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Weather is not looking too promising at the moment for either Saturday or Sunday; rain varying between fairly light to quite heavy on both days. Hopefully that will change between now and then.
Old 10 Aug 2023, 22:16 (Ref:4172097)   #48
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Weather is not looking too promising at the moment for either Saturday or Sunday; rain varying between fairly light to quite heavy on both days. Hopefully that will change between now and then.
Feels like every weekend of late has promised rain on race day, but in the end stayed dry.
Old 11 Aug 2023, 07:30 (Ref:4172118)   #49
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You're quite right, but Oulton really dodged a bullet as the heavens opened as we left the circuit on Sunday.

This morning it's predicting that most of Saturday will be dry, however Sunday still very wet apart from a short period around 4 p.m.
Old 11 Aug 2023, 08:20 (Ref:4172122)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We’ve had hot sunny days for the past two days down here just north of Watford. Be nice if it remains that way all over GB for the weekend