Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Oct 2021, 12:04 (Ref:4079912)   #1
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSCC Silverstone

I had a very enjoyable morning in the Wing paddock on Sunday.. It was stuffed full of the amazing variety of cracking cars the CSCC is famous for- from Imps and Abarths to Plymouth Barracuda and Corvette, sixties to early this century. Up close the preparation and presentation of the cars is quite spectacular and in the sun it was a great place to wander.

As always the views of the racing on this soulless circuit were limited and poor. Classic cars are diminished on Silverstones vast open, and distant spaces, and the cars look more like dinky toys than the powerful beasts they really are.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 12:31 (Ref:4079919)   #2
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I was at Silverstone all weekend, keeping an eye on Paul Dolan who was taking part in the Birkett on Saturday, and catching up with my CSCC friends on Sunday. On Saturday we were able to wander around pretty much anywhere - spent some time at the entrance to Stowe - there were some amazing closing speeds there as the Radicals etc, that were 30 seconds a lap quicker than the slowest cars, came diving down under the brakes - often with a gaggle of six or seven cars all arriving at the corner at once....seemed to be very good driving standards, though

On Sunday for CSCC, again huge grids, although several were not quite full after last-minute withdrawals, and as Mike says some superbly presented cars. I also agree his comments about viewing opportunities....the grandstand overlooking Abbey and Farm was available, but apart from that the end of the Wing was about the only viewing spot. Having had a long weekend, and having to tow Paul's car back up North, we didn't stay to the end - milady was suffering in the bitter winds sweeping Silverstone's flatlands, too, but I see that in what would have been my race (Future Classics), there seems to have been a collective brain fade, with seven cars penalised for pit-stop duration infringements, and the second place car DQ'd for failing to comply with a red-flag signal!
Old 25 Oct 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4079938)   #3
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were other brain fade moments too - reports of cars from the swinging 60s series diving into the old pits during the race, blocked by a gate preventing them rejoining the race, and therefore having to drive back through the paddock down to the Wing and rejoin….DOH!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 25 Oct 2021, 21:06 (Ref:4080011)   #4
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never seen the Paddock Bite shut before, regardless of which pits were being used. Fooled several marshals as well. Never found any catering all day, only toilets I found that were open were by the old paddock fuel station.

Drove down to the outside of Vale/Club for the early qualifying and then up to Luffield late morning. Had a walk to the Wing for a wander in the garages.

Lovely entry of cars, especially the first race.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 21:08 (Ref:4080013)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A sample of what was running, a gallery is online here --> https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p645211112
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0019.jpg   IMG_0044.jpg   IMG_0083.jpg  

IMG_0649.jpg   IMG_0653.jpg   IMG_1019.jpg  

Old 26 Oct 2021, 11:58 (Ref:4080130)   #6
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Cafe in the Wing was open - with big queues, and the toilets were open there, of course... Silverstone did seem oddly ill-prepared for such a large entry event. Wasn't much better on Saturday for the Birkett, which used the old pits and paddock, when the only catering I saw was a burger van charging £6 for a hot dog and £3 for a hot chocolate. They wanted £4 for chips.....so I was on a diet
Old 26 Oct 2021, 14:20 (Ref:4080166)   #7
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was caught out @ the MSVR Equipe meeting a couple of weeks ago, so went with my own supplies for the Birket.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4080184)   #8
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
A sample of what was running, a gallery is online here --> https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p645211112
Nice photo of our little 356….for once it is not stupidly sideways!

https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p645211112/ecd0830cd
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 27 Oct 2021, 01:06 (Ref:4080227)   #9
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
And a nice shot from the same supplier of my mate Richard Merrill in his Alfa

https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p645...30CD#hcd082f00