Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Nov 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4085893)   #176
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I'm no MGB expert but That would be an extremely quick lap time for a compliant MGB? , never considered them to be any quicker than my Cortina, and a 3:14 is as good as its got so far . . . maybe a gnats more to come with brand new boots. thats from 143 bhp/730kg . .If an MGB is 830kg and makes 170 BHP?? Its a long stroke engine so torquey, but no screamer ?
Yes, it was a good time, very pleased with it. BS-S was happy as well, got three trophies from him that day.Just for reference 19.09.1994.

Last edited by terence; 29 Nov 2021 at 15:10.
Old 29 Nov 2021, 20:41 (Ref:4085934)   #177
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
/ It may be worth trawling through the CSCC race results at the Spa summer classic over a few years as we may have had an MX5 or two race with us in the “Inter-series” race. Be careful though, I know one of them has ITBs and a programmable ecu for about 170bhp so best not consider their laps times as possible!
Spot on Andy, that's exactly what I'm lookin for.Thanks for the info and warning too!

Joe I'm with you, impossible for a compliant B to be as fast as your Cortina GT. I cant imagine a B pumping out 170 bhp on one carb tho. And a Miata is way much heavier than an MG, we're around 900 kilos dry. Not mentioning the disgrateful rops we use… May be 3'16" would be good with some drafting!
Old 29 Nov 2021, 22:50 (Ref:4085943)   #178
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Before we all get excited regarding Spa lap times don't forget that we used the "Bus Stop" up until 2002 that gave faster lap times
The ‘Bus Stop’ chicane was used between 1983 and 2002. A different version of the chicane was used for two races in 2004 and 2005 before the current, tighter corner was added.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 29 Nov 2021 at 23:15.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Nov 2021, 03:03 (Ref:4085960)   #179
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Spot on Andy, that's exactly what I'm lookin for.Thanks for the info and warning too!

Joe I'm with you, impossible for a compliant B to be as fast as your Cortina GT. I cant imagine a B pumping out 170 bhp on one carb tho. And a Miata is way much heavier than an MG, we're around 900 kilos dry. Not mentioning the disgrateful rops we use… May be 3'16" would be good with some drafting!
Impossible?? It's there in black and white as for the GT, I'll dig out a picture I have in the old Bus Stop, Lotus Cortina faster than a GT? yes I would think so, MGB LC then the Motul Mazda. Sounds like I am being accused of cheating Joe?
Old 30 Nov 2021, 07:26 (Ref:4085965)   #180
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Before we all get excited regarding Spa lap times don't forget that we used the "Bus Stop" up until 2002 that gave faster lap times
So right! I do remember exciting the bus stop in the wet with a 911, the left was damn tricky and slippy too.

If Eau Rouge is changed, could the lap times be aletered terence? Using road tires on the Capri, I've never been able to keep the pedal to the metal in this part. May be a good driver could.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 07:59 (Ref:4085969)   #181
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Yes, it was a good time, very pleased with it. BS-S was happy as well, got three trophies from him that day.Just for reference 19.09.1994.
The air was thinner then

First time I went spannering the bus stop was still there, no doubt resurfacing has made a difference too. As Gordon says, they spent a few years arsing about with the chicane before they got it totally wrong.

FWLIW My foirst time driving there I was around 3:30 . . . . Sustainable lap time I reckon, for more than a 60 minute race is probably 3:20 by clipping rev limit. my self imposed limit is 7300, nothingh haapening any higher and it'll only pull just over 7k in top.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 09:44 (Ref:4085979)   #182
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to enter anything going when I was at Spa, I remember Norman Ricketts and I was asked to do one of the French races as they wanted to bolster the field up, I don't think that they expected me to finish where I did though
Click image for larger version

Name:	spa2.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	72467
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Nov 2021, 13:41 (Ref:4085997)   #183
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hmm, interesting, my last two posts have disappeared?
Old 30 Nov 2021, 13:47 (Ref:4085998)   #184
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I used to enter anything going when I was at Spa, I remember Norman Ricketts and I was asked to do one of the French races as they wanted to bolster the field up, I don't think that they expected me to finish where I did though
Attachment 72467
Wasn't that the weekend Norman backed it into the armco at Radillon?
Old 30 Nov 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4086014)   #185
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Wasn't that the weekend Norman backed it into the armco at Radillon?
No I don't think it was, I think it was much later although I'll consult my wife as she keeps a day to day diary !
I remember working on his car all weekend as it was in qually or practice ? and I finished it an hour before his race the following day. After it happened he was going to load up and go home as the back panel was about 18 inches nearer the rear screen, but I said "let me have a go at it" as I had all my porta power kit with me
RIP Norm
Old 30 Nov 2021, 15:31 (Ref:4086016)   #186
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Hmm, interesting, my last two posts have disappeared?
And this one being ignored?
Old 30 Nov 2021, 15:42 (Ref:4086018)   #187
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No I don't think it was, I think it was much later although I'll consult my wife as she keeps a day to day diary !
I remember working on his car all weekend as it was in qually or practice ? and I finished it an hour before his race the following day. After it happened he was going to load up and go home as the back panel was about 18 inches nearer the rear screen, but I said "let me have a go at it" as I had all my porta power kit with me
RIP Norm
I do remember him being pretty upset. IIRC it was an unforced error. But yes, he managed to make the car much shorter. RIP Norman.
Old 1 Dec 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4086095)   #188
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
2006, we were in the outside paddock for the 6 hour, much better out there, for watching in the evening by the motorhome. Arthur was 1 so we couldn't stray too far.

I can see your posts Tel, and no I wasn't accusing you of cheating.

Gordon told me the short cut from Pouhon to Radillon was fair game!
Old 1 Dec 2021, 14:20 (Ref:4086143)   #189
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
A good trick for Midget, you have to go through the karting track!
Old 5 Jan 2022, 16:02 (Ref:4092585)   #190
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
A good trick for Midget, you have to go through the karting track!
You will spend a lot of time trying, and failing to get out of the Karting area.
Old 5 Jan 2022, 16:04 (Ref:4092586)   #191
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
2006, we were in the outside paddock for the 6 hour, much better out there, for watching in the evening by the motorhome. Arthur was 1 so we couldn't stray too far.

I can see your posts Tel, and no I wasn't accusing you of cheating.

Cutting through won't give a full, timed lap?
Old 5 Jan 2022, 16:09 (Ref:4092589)   #192
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No it wont give a full time lap! Will the new Raidillon arrangement will go through the restaurant?
Old 6 Jan 2022, 15:55 (Ref:4092693)   #193
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Looks like those changes have been forgotten about.
Old 10 Jan 2022, 06:00 (Ref:4093053)   #194
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Looks like those changes have been forgotten about.
But if you do face book search Friends of Spa Francorchamps. Lots of picture updates on track alterations.
Old 31 Aug 2022, 18:19 (Ref:4124406)   #195
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Getting close now so thought we should bump this thread up the chart.Busy weekend for me with Dr Bob in Gentleman drivers and of coarse Gilbert with MG David in 6 hour.After racing in the 3 hour earlier in the year i fear the 6 hour will have many many safety car periods. That pesky gravel sure will cause some problems.Wonder if we will get a sub 3 Minuit lap time in a MGB.. Just a wind up.
Old 31 Aug 2022, 18:28 (Ref:4124407)   #196
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Should be good for 2:42. I shall watch progress from afar since I have a couple of video conferences on the Thursday and Friday. Good luck to you, MGD and Dr Bob.
Old 31 Aug 2022, 18:29 (Ref:4124408)   #197
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go well Iain, I will get there one year if only to observe meanwhile I hope the shingles has improved with you, nasty thing I remember my dad suffering.
Old 31 Aug 2022, 19:04 (Ref:4124412)   #198
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Go well Iain, I will get there one year if only to observe meanwhile I hope the shingles has improved with you, nasty thing I remember my dad suffering.
I really, really want to be there but at the moment it is not looking terribly likely.

I've not actually been to a race at all this year & I had so many plans. However, Croix has its one & only race meeting of the year on the 10/11 Sept., so just maybe...
Old 1 Sep 2022, 07:40 (Ref:4124447)   #199
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes best of luck to Delta and MGD. It's one heck of a challenge to do six hours in an elderly car. Looking forward to the tales of derring-do when you get back.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 1 Sep 2022, 09:26 (Ref:4124455)   #200
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Getting close now so thought we should bump this thread up the chart.Busy weekend for me with Dr Bob in Gentleman drivers and of coarse Gilbert with MG David in 6 hour.After racing in the 3 hour earlier in the year i fear the 6 hour will have many many safety car periods. That pesky gravel sure will cause some problems.Wonder if we will get a sub 3 Minuit lap time in a MGB.. Just a wind up.
This is probably the weekend I miss out of all the tracks I have raced at over the years. As for sub 3mins in a B, I have done it in the Anglia so why not ?