Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Jun 2000, 15:49 (Ref:18740)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
alain Menu will return to bathurst later this year driving for Mark Larkham's Mitre 10 V8 supercar team.
he will however miss the queensland 500 which is the lead up event for the Bathurst 1000...he has visited the mountain twice before once in 97 driving for Renault in the super touring race where he and his team mate Plato dominated until mechanical failure forced them to retire..and then in 98 in a V8 super car ..when he partnered Tomas Mezera in a brand new VT commodore..but sadly never got a chance to drive because the car retired on lap 1 with clutch failure with car owner Mezera at the wheel...now he returns and in a pretty good car..larham has done pretty well at Bathurst and is due for a great result and maybe Menu is the man to help him win the race...only time will tell

heres the beast he will drive...pic from http://www.v8supercar.com.au
[Edited by marcus on 22nd June 2000]
Old 22 Jun 2000, 19:56 (Ref:18765)   #2
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if we'll get to see Bathurst on telly in the UK.

Last time I saw it was when Rydell won! Hopefully Menu will go well there!
Old 22 Jun 2000, 20:48 (Ref:18775)   #3
ganda123
Racer

ganda123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes yes, I know my favourite driver won, but Bathurst 98 was just brilliant! Murray Walker as well doing the commentary, he was amusing as always, although I would have done anything to be there... I remember he was astounded that the cars were under 2 seconds apart at the end, after all, he's used to F1 isn't he? And it might even have been closer if Matty Neal hadn't been held up.
That is quite a beast that Menu's going to drive, but I've heard that those V8s don't overtake much - is this true or am I completely wrong?
I hope it's on the telly, it promises to be a great race.
Old 23 Jun 2000, 13:34 (Ref:18935)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"although I would have done anything to be there..."

-Hehe, i was there and it was one of the best days in my life...nah, i dont think i'll bore you with the details again, although i might write a book about it during the holidays

V8s and overtaking....a tough one....

Yes and no, depends on the track etc etc....for the lead these days there is very little, as the HRT boys cant be touched.... but i will never forget R3 at QR last year...there was soooo much over taking it was not funny.
Old 23 Jun 2000, 14:51 (Ref:18969)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I LOVE V8's

ganda123 I beleive we have seen the last of super touring on the mountain over here..V8's are the premier class here and will be for a while at least...the slide the roar the shoot flames and run into each other..passing well as crash said it depends on the track and bathurst is a track that they can and do pass on ..but it is a 1000 km race so the biff and barge is tamed down a bit..but the V8's are great to watch and i remember last year chatting here while the race was on with Invader and a few others ..me being drunk as a skunk of course ..but a great day none the less.

menu should do well but may take some adjusting to rear wheel drive and huge amounts of horsepower ..but one or two days and he will be on the pace for sure