Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Jun 2000, 15:26 (Ref:19972)   #1
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to this press release, 2 door coupes and hatchbacks will be allowed to race in the '01 BTCC. Sighh... I am saddened to hear these cars will race side by side sedans!! Let h/b and coupes have their own series!!

http://www.autosport.com/article1.cfm?id=10357&ref=home
Old 28 Jun 2000, 17:22 (Ref:19999)   #2
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if it means that at least one works team commits (Vauxhall with the Astra) then I say go for it.
It not the size that matters but the quantity.
Old 28 Jun 2000, 18:41 (Ref:20019)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

kmchow, do they still have to fall into the '40mm-shorter-than-current-regs' measurement? I can't think there will be too many eligible entries... Are the 306's long enough?
Old 28 Jun 2000, 18:44 (Ref:20020)   #4
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vauxhall are indeed the first works team to commit to next year! They have confirmed that they will be entering the Astra Coupe.

From the same family as their Rally and DTM cars!

It is also suspected that we will see Ford Focus' (Focii?)hammering round the track.
Old 28 Jun 2000, 19:39 (Ref:20035)   #5
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wonder if Vauxhall will still commit to running 3 cars or if they'll go back to just two. Hopefully that Astra will prove to be better than the Vectra has ever been.
I just hope we get the grid numbers back up and see some decent racing - it wouldn't take much to be an improvement on what we've got this year!
Old 29 Jun 2000, 11:26 (Ref:20206)   #6
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with kmchow they've screwed up the rules for next year, but not his reasoning. I think most people like fast cars with much more power than grip. Just look at how popular TVR Tuscan racing is.

I think it would have been much better for the BTCC to follow DTM rules. Exciting cars, economies of scale for manufacturers, supply of second hand cars from other series. It seems it won't happen, but I think its a shame, watching 30 DTM cars come through Church at Thruxton on the first lap would certainly have been exciting!
Old 29 Jun 2000, 20:29 (Ref:20319)   #7
ganda123
Racer

ganda123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All very well and good Marshal, but at Thruxton spectators can't get to Church very easily...
The DTM Merc going up the hill at Goodwood impressed me, great car.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 21:02 (Ref:20585)   #8
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A little RECAP.

which cars would be allowed?

The vauxhal astra and Ford Focus are definite contenders but which cars would make the BMP cut and must they be hatchbacks?
Old 30 Jun 2000, 21:33 (Ref:20598)   #9
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the criticism of the new rules folks ?

Copying the new DTM would have been stupid - the BTCC should aim to be the top series of it's type in the world - not a home for second hand machinery. If they'd introduced the DTM rules originally, it would have been great, but I think they've gone the right route here.

Have any of you actually seen the NSC ? This is a 'basic' series - and it's GREAT racing! If the BTCC is the NSC plus the works teams & top drivers, it'll be a winner.

I guess we've got to wait and see what happens - and don't forget what they were saying about the original 2ltr rules when they were running the multi class series dominated by Cossies ?
Old 30 Jun 2000, 22:49 (Ref:20623)   #10
Peter.S
Rookie

Peter.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Fatbloke.
British manufacturers are not intersted in rear wheel drive V8 machines, as Andy Rouse will find out.
They are only in intersted in selling cars.
What I beleive the Organisers should do is produce a championship for 2lt Coupes (BTCC) and a Championship for Saloons, 4 or 5 door, (NSCC)
Old 30 Jun 2000, 22:56 (Ref:20626)   #11
Peter.S
Rookie

Peter.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Fatbloke.
British manufacturers are not intersted in rear wheel drive V8 machines, as Andy Rouse will find out.
They are only in intersted in selling cars.
What I beleive the Organisers should do is produce a championship for 2lt Coupes (BTCC) and a Championship for Saloons, 4 or 5 door, (NSCC)
Old 30 Jun 2000, 23:49 (Ref:20630)   #12
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whew. For a while, I thought I was all alone in demanding for a saloon (4 or 5 door) only car series. Thanks to Peter S. Sadly, neither of us are in a position to influence many people. I think the DTM will be a German thing only. I think the rest of the world can better relate to small displacement and more affordable sedans rather than those large relatively expensive German ones.

I guess those people who are only interested in large number of cars (quantity) are too depressed about the current 10 car BTCC grids. =(

Perhaps Peter S, I and others should start an email letter campaign to try and change BMPs mind about opening up the series to coupes/hatchbacks??

Do you think any big name manufacturer will race a sedan in the series?
Old 1 Jul 2000, 03:58 (Ref:20694)   #13
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since when can you "tour" in a 2 door hatchback? Come on. The whole series is supposed to be built around sedan touring cars. That's why I love it so much at least. 2 doors I see more as rally cars, let em stick to it