Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Aug 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3757739)   #576
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How long is Eurosport's contract with FIA for the promotion of WTCC? If it's up for replacement, then TCR could be bid
Old 7 Aug 2017, 07:37 (Ref:3757929)   #577
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Lanti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
How long is Eurosport's contract with FIA for the promotion of WTCC? If it's up for replacement, then TCR could be bid
It is not that simple to become a World Championship. First you need to have at least two real manufacturer teams. It rules out TCR because the whole concept is based on customer racing. You also have to go to at least 3 continents (it is ok for TCR). In 2005 when ETCC become a World Championship it was also one of the conditions that Eurosport Events has to be the promoter because the FIA wanted a financially strong organization to stand behind WTCC.

TCR does and will not have real works teams and I doubt that FIA would consider WSC a financially strong organization (in 2005 it was the previous company of Marcello Lotti called KSO that was bought by Eurosport Events). So I don't think it is possible to make a World Championship from TCR.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3757930)   #578
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
Perhaps WTCC take on TCR regulations and permit manufacturers, move TCR International to become the new ETCC to allow privateers to have a playground to play in without having to match the high costs required to fight the manufacturers? WTCC and TCR Int. can't survive together with both under TCR regulations anyway.
TCR with manufacturer presence is almost identical with S2000 which was the regulation before TC1. We all know that no manufacturer was interested in that anymore. Also if you let manufacturers in the costs will rise significantly.

Moreover the closeness of whole TCR category is based on BoP, but it cannot work with manufacturer teams.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3757943)   #579
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanti View Post
TCR with manufacturer presence is almost identical with S2000 which was the regulation before TC1. We all know that no manufacturer was interested in that anymore. Also if you let manufacturers in the costs will rise significantly.

Moreover the closeness of whole TCR category is based on BoP, but it cannot work with manufacturer teams.
Disagreed. TCR is a hell of a lot cheaper than S2000 was and looks more spectacular. Those were the 2 reasons S2000 fell out of grace if I'm not mistaken.

Also, S2000 WTCC had BoP as well. They just called it 'dispensations' back in those days...
Old 7 Aug 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3757954)   #580
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
S2000 I enjoyed, the racing was close and there were plenty of makes involved, just not that many as there could have been in the WTCC. TCR could work, with a few rules tweaks to let manufacturers in and no more BOP
Old 7 Aug 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3757964)   #581
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It is not that simple to become a World Championship. First you need to have at least two real manufacturer teams.
Stephane Ratel's short-lived GT1 World Championship had no manufacturer teams whatsoever. Unless there have been some significant changes since 2012, TCR should be good.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3757975)   #582
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I miss the high strung n/a screamers of S2000
Old 7 Aug 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3758010)   #583
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Disagreed. TCR is a hell of a lot cheaper than S2000 was and looks more spectacular. Those were the 2 reasons S2000 fell out of grace if I'm not mistaken.

Also, S2000 WTCC had BoP as well. They just called it 'dispensations' back in those days...
I did not say it costs the same now. But believe me with some manufacturer involvement TCR would be very soon as expensive as S2000 was. The secret of TCR is customer racing. You build a lot of cars, you sell a lot of spare parts with no significant development cost for years.

And outlook is subjective. I prefer S2000 to TCR for example.

Yes, WTCC HAD BoP. It does not have since TC1. At least not officially. Of course we still hear some irregularities but who knows.

As far as I know the problem with S2000 was not the costs. The problem was that no manufacturers were interested in entering.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3758014)   #584
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Stephane Ratel's short-lived GT1 World Championship had no manufacturer teams whatsoever. Unless there have been some significant changes since 2012, TCR should be good.
Yes it was quite a strage thing. I think it should have been something like BMW in 2011. There were no works team but some manufacturers officially entered the manufacturers championship to keep the series alive. But I do not have exact information.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 18:40 (Ref:3758043)   #585
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Of course it can, see GT3.
Old 7 Aug 2017, 19:54 (Ref:3758053)   #586
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I'm concerned, TCR should become, let's say, main 'sprint' touring car category in the world, as WTCC should merge with DTM to create 96 ITC and Supercars inspired championship with more powerful cars, longer races with pit stops, etc. For now, I don't see any future for WTCC as it is.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3758143)   #587
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Of course it can, see GT3.
Actually there are no full factory teams in GT3! However you are right that there is a GT category with BoP: GTE in WEC.

But BoP is for customer racing. Think like a manufacturer. You finance you team to develop a good car, which is than pegged back to be on the same level with the others. Why would you spend a heap of money on development is in the and it will only bring you more weight, reduced turbo pressure etc. BoP can limit development, that's why it is good for customer racing, but if you have a full factory team you don't want to be pulled back when you have found something.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 09:39 (Ref:3758145)   #588
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Actually there are no full factory teams in GT3! However you are right that there is a GT category with BoP: GTE in WEC.

But BoP is for customer racing. Think like a manufacturer. You finance you team to develop a good car, which is than pegged back to be on the same level with the others. Why would you spend a heap of money on development is in the and it will only bring you more weight, reduced turbo pressure etc. BoP can limit development, that's why it is good for customer racing, but if you have a full factory team you don't want to be pulled back when you have found something.
In theory you're right, but in reality a system without BoP or standardized parts results in a development battle where the manufacturer wins who throws the most money at it, quickly killing the series. We've seen this way too often in the past, so its just not realistic to imagine such a championship without BoP.
Old 8 Aug 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3758227)   #589
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I think you can call M-Sport (Bentley) a factory team.
But okay GT3 has not full factory teams but teams like WRT, HTP, Kus get factory backing and aren't less professional than JAS and Polestar.

But why not the same formula like in GT3. Teams are supplied with factory drivers, money and marketing support by manufacturers? It works in GT3, why not in TCR?
Old 8 Aug 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3758274)   #590
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But why not the same formula like in GT3. Teams are supplied with factory drivers, money and marketing support by manufacturers? It works in GT3, why not in TCR?
I agree, especially because I've got the feeling that manufacturers are more and more interested in TCR cars. Look at Hyundai. They are deeply involved in i30 TCR. It's not like some team built their Hyundai, it is actually work of Hyundai. Nobody said that manufacturers should be involved in a way they are in DTM, WTCC or WRC but there can be at least factory- backed teams, officially representing manufacturers, something like BTCC. That would increase the level and professionalism of the category IMHO
Old 9 Aug 2017, 16:28 (Ref:3758414)   #591
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Acura and Lexus in the USA.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 23:33 (Ref:3758502)   #592
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Acura and Lexus in the USA.

Got to admit 'Audi Sport Team WRT' and 'Mercedes AMG Team HTP' are about 90% factory teams when it really comes down to it

I'd like to see the same style of factory support for TCR international. As in, supply support team staff, and factory drivers...

But keep solely privateer in national series

This and a improved schedule would allow TCR international to trump WTCC and DTM for top spot in the single class tourer world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 Aug 2017, 20:53 (Ref:3758684)   #593
Tarzaan
Racer

Hungary
Tarzaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys!

Some notes for this discussion:

1 - Imho the FIA has the power to modify their own rules about the rwquired criterias of a world championship.

2 - Imho the criteria is not 2 manufacturer but 2 constructor, so non factory backed constructions also could counts

My prediction about WTCC:

They could continue 1 or 2 season with TC1 rules, but if the DTM introduce the SuperGT rules, I guess Honda will switch, and maybe Volvo follow them.

In that situation WTCC will end or merge with the TCR Internacional like ChampCar did with IRL or ALMS with GrandAm. WTCC gives the Eurosport, TCR gives the cars/field.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 15:44 (Ref:3758838)   #594
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I don't think that TCR is intrested in becoming a FIA Championship. It would be very costly and have no return.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3758871)   #595
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...t-china-japan/
Filipe de Souza joins RC Motorsport for China and Japan
Old 11 Aug 2017, 18:30 (Ref:3758877)   #596
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
RC Motorsport is a welcome addition to WTCC.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3758965)   #597
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the latest manufacturer shifts between series (to Formula E), it seems traditional motorsport is no longer puts so much interest for them.

Maybe FIA should think about world championships based only only on customer racing. I think TCR could work in WTCC but only if there will be no manufacturer teams. Otherwise, as it was said here, the cost would really significantly rise.

Shift to Class 1 could be also great, but puts championship into jeopardy, because that could be only a full-manufacturer based series which may then leave and go to Formula E.

Also, I feel there could be a change of promoter after 2017.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 14:00 (Ref:3758983)   #598
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As unpopular as it would be to traditionalists, what if WTCC became eTCC as in Electric Touring Car Championship? Surely this would be attractive to manufacturers and would provide a reason to fund a programme as it would essentially develop the electric road car branch of entered manufacturers
Old 12 Aug 2017, 14:09 (Ref:3758984)   #599
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They're already planning an e-tin top series to support Formula E
Old 12 Aug 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3759005)   #600
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Electric rallycross and electric karting are great ideas.

Back to touring car racing, my view is that the World Championship era is sadly gone. The WTCC will implode soon. TCR International is successful and international, but to me it's not a proper world championship.

I mean, big audiences want extremely fast cars, not 300hp Civics and Corollas. We are a minority.