Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Mar 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3048213)   #1151
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct Al, but they're nearly as obsessive about gun ownership as the Yanks. In the village where some friends of ours live the local firing range (which is on the go all day at weekends) has a public footpath through the middle of it. Considerately, they've banked some earth up either side to reduce the risk but you can still hear the bullets whizzing overhead. And the friend has a large assortment of automatic weaponry in his basement, but then he is in the border police. I wonder if he knows Iain?
Old 25 Mar 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3048263)   #1152
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I think its because the army reserves have to take their weopons home with them.
Same in Israel.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Mar 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3048264)   #1153
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
the friend has a large assortment of automatic weaponry in his basement, but then he is in the border police. I wonder if he knows Iain?
You'll know when you next visit- if he is wearing a Delta Motorsport Cap!

Old 25 Mar 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3048281)   #1154
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 26 Mar 2012, 06:56 (Ref:3048478)   #1155
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think its because the army reserves have to take their weopons home with them.
Honestly your honour, I was just cleaning me bazooka when it went off.

The mind boggles.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3048534)   #1156
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I held a hand gun in South Africa one of a pair that are owned legally by our host who is a sales rep and packs the piece when he goes to some of the more dodgy areas. He was going to treat me to some practice shooting but we ran out of time. He also sleeps with it loaded by his bed.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3048824)   #1157
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I held a hand gun in South Africa one of a pair that are owned legally by our host who is a sales rep and packs the piece when he goes to some of the more dodgy areas. He was going to treat me to some practice shooting but we ran out of time. He also sleeps with it loaded by his bed.
Charming place to live! Every day I count my blessings that Bromham's so sle-e-e-py......
Old 26 Mar 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3048870)   #1158
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Charming place to live! Every day I count my blessings that Bromham's so sle-e-e-py......

Mmmm, same here in Norn Irn.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3048927)   #1159
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I once met a couple of very nice people in Enniskillen, Bertie Fisher and his brother. We were looking at their works as fabricators for a project in Dublin. Sadly Bertie is no longer with us.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 21:05 (Ref:3049026)   #1160
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I was 7 years old, living in Toulouse, I was sailing my model yacht in the fountain, near the apartment where I lived. A police van raced across the pedestrian square towards me and stopped next to me. A policeman got out and pointed a machine gun at me, while 6 others rushed into the bank behind which, while i was sat there, had been robbed. The robbers had escaped and the police got back into their van and sped off, leaving me in stunned silence.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3049046)   #1161
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Back in the Franco days in Spain I was once stopped in a road block and asked to produce my passport/any paperwork etc, the policeman then proceeded to turn the pages over with the barrel of his sub machine gun while I sat in my van holding the relevant paperwork out of the window.
I trust he had the safety catch on !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Mar 2012, 05:40 (Ref:3049170)   #1162
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
While I almost understand having a gun waved at ones self by 'the law' in certain countries, it happened to me on the M25! During the NI troubles when there was a lot of concern about possible targets in England, I was cruising round the north of London (in Defender with box trailer) when suddenly a cop car cut in front of me, another almost rammed me up the backside and they 'guided' me onto a slip road. Then it was a full on guns pointing, straddle and frisk, followed by complete search of LR and trailer. Apparantly they had received 'intelligence' that a vehicle like mine had been seen parked on hard shoulder acting suspiciously. Well, I had never stopped, and all they found was bicyles and camping gear. I had been to a big mountain bike event on the south coast...........

Never did get an explanation or apology!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:05 (Ref:3049197)   #1163
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I was cruising round the north of London
Did you have a handkerchief hanging out of both back pockets Mike ?
Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:15 (Ref:3049200)   #1164
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Cruising round, not cruising around!

Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3049212)   #1165
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Did you have a handkerchief hanging out of both back pockets Mike ?
Maybe he had one knotted at four corners on his head aka Paddy navvy style.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3049231)   #1166
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe he had one knotted at four corners on his head aka Paddy navvy style.
And what's wrong with Paddy Navvy Styly
Old 27 Mar 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3049276)   #1167
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Nothing as long as they wear their best suite as well for work on the Monday morning lol!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:16 (Ref:3049327)   #1168
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I once met a couple of very nice people in Enniskillen, Bertie Fisher and his brother. We were looking at their works as fabricators for a project in Dublin. Sadly Bertie is no longer with us.
My son was driving for a Funeral Co. yesterday and they had to take this 'chap' to a Parish near Balinamallard, Berties hometown/village. My son phoned me from Omagh where they where sitting at the side of the road eating fish n chips, in the Hearse, c/w full coffin etc!

Its a funny old life.

Last edited by SAMD; 27 Mar 2012 at 11:18. Reason: Life!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3049340)   #1169
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
My son was driving for a Funeral Co. yesterday and they had to take this 'chap' to a Parish near Balinamallard, Berties hometown/village. My son phoned me from Omagh where they where sitting at the side of the road eating fish n chips, in the Hearse, c/w full coffin etc!

Its a funny old life.
Not if you are the chap in the coffin!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3049388)   #1170
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Changing the thread to coffins, when I was a wet behind the ears apprentice of 15 (bloody hell 50 years ago) I worked opposite an old established family undertakers that was in a very small shop.
Sometimes I would be asked to help carry a coffin upstairs if one of the partners was away and very often they were being tried out for size with the body in it.
If it was too heavy the old guy would take the inhabitant out and put them on a sofa !!!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3049402)   #1171
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Grand Father got a job at The Mildmay Hospital when he started work. These were during the days of gas lighting,one of his first task's was to go to the morgue managers office which was located in the basement . One lamp at each end of what resembled a tunnel of approx 40 yrds long. As he really wasn't used to the kind of situation,about eight corpse's being in residence,he started to run but caught one of the trolleys,the occupying body's arm dropped down from under the white sheet that was covering him,took its last breath and suddenly sat up,caused through the expulsion of the trapped air.!!
Needless to say,he quit the job there and then.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3049546)   #1172
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Wow this is a change of subject ! it's all SAMD's fault
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:31 (Ref:3049572)   #1173
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Wow this is a change of subject ! it's all SAMD's fault
Hopefully Iain will be back from Monza soon, if not already, and we can get back to the lighter side- ASAP!

Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3049590)   #1174
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hopefully Iain will be back from Monza soon, if not already, and we can get back to the lighter side- ASAP!

Sometimes one needs the Darker Side to come to the fore for a while in order to appreciate the lighter side more fully.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3049599)   #1175
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Sometimes one needs the Darker Side to come to the fore for a while in order to appreciate the lighter side more fully.
Agreed,

Grant, as the font of all knowledge on things photographic, do you have a foolproof idiots guide to slightly more advanced cameras? My son! is showing a slight interest in photography, he has aquired a camera that is a bit more flashy than my point and shoot thing. I will find out what it is as I am sure it is relavent.

The sort of info I want is... forget XY & Z just make sure you have AB&C sorted, the rest will come with time and experiance.
Closed Thread