Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3874474)   #201
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard a few quotes from various 'experts' in recent months about how we won't be able to (easily) import a lot of the more exotic fruits & veg that we've become accustomed to having routinely in the last 20 years or so. Just look at the range of fresh foodstuffs that are available (mainly wrapped in plastic) in our supermarkets almost year-round these days, whereas once some of them were occasional and seasonal treats if at all.

The thing is, if Brexit was to change things in that respect (which I doubt) would that be a bad thing?

No doubt our celeb chefs would have to write new cook books with simpler, less exotic ingredients - so at least a Brexit bonus for them, publishers and book retailers with new sales.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:08 (Ref:3874475)   #202
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh my God that would have some of my friends wailing as if the world had ended!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3874476)   #203
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then buy it from Albania. Seriously there isn't a Fruit that I know of that doesn't grow here.

Bananas don't grow in EU countries apart from the Canary Islands AFIK.

We can also buy from Turkey.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:20 (Ref:3874480)   #204
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Then buy it from Albania. Seriously there isn't a Fruit that I know of that doesn't grow here.

Bananas don't grow in EU countries apart from the Canary Islands AFIK.

We can also buy from Turkey.
Does anyone know where porridge comes from? Mrs bauble is addicted to it.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3874481)   #205
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Porridge was a BBC production if I recall correctly. Ronnie Barker wasn't it?
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3874484)   #206
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Scotland?
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3874490)   #207
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Scotland?
Oh! Lord! Peter don't tell her that.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3874491)   #208
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Porridge was a BBC production if I recall correctly. Ronnie Barker wasn't it?
I knew that some blinking I**** would bring that up, but I anticipated it would be one of the regular clowns on here!

Right, Viv Mike H?
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3874492)   #209
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The best Porridge rolled Oats (proper stuff, not the cheap dregs and leftovers) that I have found so far seem to come from Scotland or Eire.

The best Scots oats from Sainsbury's are about double the price of the 'normal' stuff but worth it. I think the Irish stuff was discovered at Tesco.

Both currently probably safe supplies one way or another - even if people do end up smuggling it over the border from Eire.

Most of the non-UK fruit and veg around here seems to come from Africa or Central America.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 15:28 (Ref:3874497)   #210
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Most of the non-UK fruit and veg around here seems to come from Africa or Central America.

And referring to Gary's earlier comment about local and seasonal produce, it was quite a culture shock when I first started spending most of my time in Spain not to be able to find what I was accustomed to buying in the UK.

Gordon can probably confirm what it is like now, but certainly up to the end of the noughties, it was rare to find non seasonal produce in the markets or supermarkets. It had begun to change just as I was leaving Spain as the major supermarket chains had started employing buyers who had worked in the UK supermarkets, and they realised that they could improve turnover by offering some produce all year round.

The peculiar thing about that is is because a lot of that produce is actually grown in Spain all year round now using modern horticultural methods. If you travel along the Costas in particular, you will pass miles upon miles of plastic poly-tunnels where they grow thousands of tonnes of produce which had been, and may still be, exported.

Having said that, there was still resistance from the older generations to buying produce that wasn't traditionally in season. You can lead a horse to water, etc.!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3874498)   #211
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah yes. Polytunnels. A major source of plastic pollution so expect the EU to ban their use then worry about where the year round fruit supplies come from.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 15:56 (Ref:3874499)   #212
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ah yes. Polytunnels. A major source of plastic pollution so expect the EU to ban their use then worry about where the year round fruit supplies come from.

Don't worry about that; Spain will just ignore the ban, just as they do with any other measure that they don't like that comes from Brussels.

Most of the Spanish people that I met when living there were lovely people, yet they put up with having some of the most corrupt politicians, local, regional and national, in the Western world. There are very few town or city halls in the country that aren't tainted by some corruption or other.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3874500)   #213
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agreed but you've just highlighted why the UK should have no part of the EU. And it's not just Spain; Italy does a good job of corruption and France is simarlarly plagued. But then again the UK has its fair share of shysters too.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3874504)   #214
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed about France, of course. Dont you think corrupted politicians is nearly a pleonasm? If ever you find one of our politician standing away from any "envelop" you can make sure you just found a stupid guy…
Old 7 Jan 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3874506)   #215
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm working on a root crop recipe book as I type

Turnip surprise anyone?

ditching plastic is a worldwide issue, and needs dealing with pronto. I can still buy Fruit and veg in brown paper bags locally . . . at a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I've heard a few quotes from various 'experts' in recent months about how we won't be able to (easily) import a lot of the more exotic fruits & veg that we've become accustomed to having routinely in the last 20 years or so. Just look at the range of fresh foodstuffs that are available (mainly wrapped in plastic) in our supermarkets almost year-round these days, whereas once some of them were occasional and seasonal treats if at all.

The thing is, if Brexit was to change things in that respect (which I doubt) would that be a bad thing?

No doubt our celeb chefs would have to write new cook books with simpler, less exotic ingredients - so at least a Brexit bonus for them, publishers and book retailers with new sales.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3874508)   #216
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
ditching plastic is a worldwide issue, and needs dealing with pronto. I can still buy Fruit and veg in brown paper bags locally . . . at a price.

A little known fact; it takes approximately 3 times in fossil fuel to produce a tonne of recycled brown paper for paper bags as it takes to manufacture a tonne of plastic film for the bags that are now used for holding fruit and vegetables. And that includes the raw materials for the plastic film, a lot of which is recycled as well.

Source: one of Europe's largest manufacturers of both paper and plastic bags from the 1980s - me.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 17:27 (Ref:3874512)   #217
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
in brown paper bags locally . . . at a price.
Tree murderer!

Why do people hate plants so much that, universally, they are destroyed and eaten or wasted in some other way?
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3874526)   #218
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So we can’t have plastic bags for our produce, and we can’t have paper! Think I’ve got an old steel bucket somewhere......

Back to the topic, I heard 2 truck drivers being interviewed after the Branston experiment today. One thought it went really well and the government plan was great, the other thought the whole thing a load of tat! Think I’ll trust the latter opinion...

Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3874532)   #219
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I knew that some blinking I**** would bring that up, but I anticipated it would be one of the regular clowns on here!

Right, Viv Mike H?
You are quite right Baub but in my defence I've been so busy at work today I've had to wait until I got home before I could check the forum!
Another good use for rolled oats is of course in the making of flapjack, another part of the range of home baked goodies produced by my wife (no Baub, it's not a pie stall!).
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3874534)   #220
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agreed.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3874539)   #221
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bob dont you think its the right time to make bags you can eat too? We could have le beurre et l'argent du beurre then… May be you can ask to Miss Valérie!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3874542)   #222
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
I'm working on a root crop recipe book as I type

Turnip surprise anyone?.
What's the surprise?
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3874546)   #223
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Might it be a new type of octane booster?
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3874547)   #224
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Bob dont you think its the right time to make bags you can eat too? We could have le beurre et l'argent du beurre then… May be you can ask to Miss Valérie!

You joke, but there is already rice paper that is used in the baking/patisserie industry. And back in the 70s (or maybe the late 60s), we helped to create a material that was used to manufacture edible panties. That was after we had produced what were known as Chukka Panties, disposable knickers for a certain type of young lady, which were initially given away in a promotion by Cosmopolitan magazine.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3874549)   #225
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes, Mike H, I was joking and you made me voiceless with your edible panties story. How could one imagine that? Did you female clients become women of good taste?