Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 12 Feb 2002, 21:13 (Ref:214899)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dead CDRom Drives?

One for all you heavy gamers..

Has anyone else suffered the same mortality rate for CDRom drives as I've had? Mine has just packed up tonight. That's the fifth one that's died on me in less than 5 years!

Fortunately, I can pinch the (better) one from my kid's pc upstairs (he can't get to his pc anyway, for all the junk in his room!), but 5 in 5 years is a bit rich!

Old 12 Feb 2002, 21:20 (Ref:214910)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had my pc for nearly 3 years and all it has needed was a new motherboard, whne the old one went bust.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 21:51 (Ref:214945)   #3
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just before Christmas we had our first computer die, it was an 486 we had since 1995. I don't think we've ever had to replace anything faulty though.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 12 Feb 2002, 22:26 (Ref:214984)   #4
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
nah not much, just the shutter isnt as smooth as it once was - maybe you're using a CD burner for it cos that can alter it or sumink?

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 12 Feb 2002, 23:34 (Ref:215023)   #5
Herminator
Racer

Herminator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not heard of many cd drives going. Burners are more likely to break but even then they should last a coupe of years at least. My parents have an old PC about 5 years old now and it's cd drive is slow and sometimes unreliable but it works most of the time, even though it is caked in dust. have you told the wife it's not for her mugs of hot chocloate or tea .
Old 13 Feb 2002, 00:49 (Ref:215056)   #6
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only problem ive had with my burner has been xp related. but, ive only had it for 4-5 months.
Old 13 Feb 2002, 10:25 (Ref:215085)   #7
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the best ways I've encountered to kill a CD drive, and indeed quite a few other bits of your PC, is to smoke near it. This is especially true if your PC is on the floor, and particularly if it's right up against the wall. The smoke and dust particles get sucked straight into the computer and foul up the CD drive, the processor fan, the PSU fan etc etc. If you keep your computer in a well ventilated area and take the top off to give it a clean out with a compressed air spray or small PC repair kit type vacuum cleaner (or even an old paintbrush) your machine will stay healthy and happier longer
Old 13 Feb 2002, 10:30 (Ref:215088)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, the replacement is in and working fine (he said, touching wood). I don't smoke indoors, so it's not that. I've got a separate burner which has outlasted the last two CDRoms. They do get a hell of a lot of use though!! Just my bad luck, I guess!!