Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1089286)   #1
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Zanardi

Here is a link to the Champ Car World Series site for a good read on Alex and his book titled "Zanardi", soon to be released in English. I thought you all might enjoy.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=8315
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:25 (Ref:1089298)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I've actually been thinking about that book, and when it would be released. You can bet that I'm buying it!
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1089310)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've already placed my order. When I saw the Biography advertsised in my cataluoge I soon got to the phone!
It was money I had been saving up for a while acturly.
I'm looking forward to reading it big time.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1089313)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
He’s likely to be in the United States at the end of November for a quick tour to promote his book, which is expected to be available thorough the efforts of Bentley Publishers of Cambridge, Mass. in the coming weeks.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1089351)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While a bit off-topic but still about Zanardi, I saw a remarkable thing this past weekend that impressed me a lot.

As you may know, Zanardi races in the European Touring Car Championship this season, and this past weekend he was involved in a three-car pile-up during the second race at Imola. And here's what I found so remarkable: After he got out of his BMW, he walked unaided from the car and across the track - if I didn't know he was a double amputee I would've thought he had a slight limp from the wreck or something (I've only seen him using a cane before, which made me so amazed so see him walk so well without it).

Tells you something about the spirit of that man and how far artificial leg technology has come.

I sure miss seeing his glory days in Champ Car - heck, he could even pass people on tight street circuits!

(Ok, that's enough Zanardi-worshipping from me, promise! )
Old 7 Sep 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1089366)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was impressive to see Alessandro do that, indeed, rustyfan.

I bet Mrs Zanardi is less keen on him racing again than he is though
Old 7 Sep 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1089403)   #7
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been waiting for this book to be released in North America for so long! Can't wait to pick it up and I want to get Greg Moore's book as well.

Old 8 Sep 2004, 00:46 (Ref:1089507)   #8
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Germany Zanardi's book was already published in springtime, so I can tell yot the book is a must read for all race fans. It's about the spirit of this man but also a very detailed inside view of the racing business and you can learn a lot of how things work out (or not)!!
Old 8 Sep 2004, 02:25 (Ref:1089534)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alessandro Zanardi Rules!

i wonder if the Touring car effort is hindered by his condition or testing or that the Alfas are so fast
Old 8 Sep 2004, 02:26 (Ref:1089535)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HOLY SMOKES 3000 posts!!!
Old 8 Sep 2004, 03:08 (Ref:1089553)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
HOLY SMOKES 3000 posts!!!
Congratulations, gt, but you better take a quick look in your rearview mirror because I'm closing in!

Old 8 Sep 2004, 06:17 (Ref:1089600)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
Alessandro Zanardi Rules!

i wonder if the Touring car effort is hindered by his condition or testing or that the Alfas are so fast
That the Alfa's were so fast at Imola was most likely due to the track fitting them perfectly - the scenario was almost the exact opposite at Spa where BMW dominated.

As for Zanardi, he's driving for BMW Team Italy, and I would rank them third in the BMW "pecking order", after BMW Team Deutschland and BMW Team Great Britain, so they might be slightly behind when it comes to the latest upgrades etc.

Also, driving with hand controls obviously plays a part in it as well, but all things considered I think Zanardi is doing a great job, and I certainly hope he continues to race at least throughout next year as well when the ETCC becomes the WTCC.

I'm already looking forward to the 2005 season finale at Macau
Old 8 Sep 2004, 06:41 (Ref:1089613)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It almost brought a tear to my eye in an Australian TV interview with Vassar:
Q: What was it like with Ganassi in the 90s - you guys were bullet proof?
"Yeah, thoose years with Zanardi and Montoya...I wouldn't trade thoose memories for anything."
Old 8 Sep 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1089985)   #14
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
In my efforts to avoid work this morning I was browsing around the internet and came across this article from Paddocktalk:
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...ticle&sid=1975

It is a play by play of the famous corkscrew pass that Zanardi pulled on Herta in '96 at Laguna. Enjoy.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 23:11 (Ref:1098825)   #15
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update on Zanardi book from AtlasF1 site ...

Quote:
Zanardi Launches Biography at Berlin Clinic
Thursday September 16th, 2004

Italian Alex Zanardi launched his biography on Thursday at the Berlin clinic where he fought for his life after a horrific crash three years ago.

"I want to help others who suffer a similar fate," said Zanardi, who spent 43 days at the clinic after losing both his legs and two litres of blood in a high speed accident in a CART race at the Lausitzring in September, 2001.

"That's why I wrote this book."

Zanardi, 37, wanted to present the book at the Berlin clinic as a gesture of gratitude towards the doctors who treated him.

The former Formula One driver has returned to motor racing and drives a specially adapted BMW in the Touring Car championship. A few days ago he escaped unhurt from a spectacular crash at Imola.

"An accident can happen at every race but I'm still having fun driving sports cars," he said.
Ted
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1099379)   #16
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Here is another good read that I found. After this one I'll quit.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...ticle&sid=2141
Old 18 Sep 2004, 06:26 (Ref:1099933)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If there's a Zanardi thread on here I'll find it!!!!!!

I'm really doing a good job of restraining myself from launching a tirade of Zanardi revering.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1109301)   #18
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last night on The Truth (Indianapolis radio show), Robin Miller said that Zanardi will be in the U.S.in the next month or so. He is attending a skiing exhibition in Colorado and then on to New York for visits with Letterman, Today Show, Regis & Kelly and several book signings.

Ted
Old 28 Sep 2004, 16:15 (Ref:1109508)   #19
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the information TedN, if you here of the date he will be on Letterman or the others could you PM me and let me know? I would really love to see that.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 21:30 (Ref:1109839)   #20
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or just post the dates here, TedN, I want to know when he'll be on Letterman as well..
Old 4 Oct 2004, 01:39 (Ref:1114474)   #21
LadyRaceFan
Rookie

LadyRaceFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy
Here is another good read that I found. After this one I'll quit.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...ticle&sid=2141
Thanks Cowboy for the great reads. I remember seeing both of these races and I remember crying during each race. He is such an inspiration to all of us. I have just ordered my copy of the book on amazon.com and it is expected to ship 10/9. I can't wait to get it. I really look forward to reading this one.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 05:23 (Ref:1121772)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Bumping an old thread, because this is new on CART.com...
Quote:
Alex Zanardi is proud to announce that the North American English-language edition of his autobiography titled “Alex Zanardi - My Sweetest Victory” will be available this October from Bentley Publishers of Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Exclusive to the North American edition will be a foreword by Alex Zanardi's friend and supporter Mario Andretti, a chronology of Alex's racing career, and a new final chapter in which Alex discusses his return to competitive racing in the 2004 European Touring Car Championship driving for BMW Team Italy-Spain.

Also chronicled in the book is Zanardi’s inspirational return to the seat of a Champ Car when he journeyed back to EuroSpeedway Lausitz last year to run 13 laps in a Champ Car fitted with hand controls.

"I really believe that the additions made for the US edition are a natural complement to the original book. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it with my friend and co-author Gianluca Gasparini".
Old 16 Oct 2004, 15:48 (Ref:1126029)   #23
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada

Audio Interview with Alex here

Ted
Old 16 Oct 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1126068)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Zanardi did several British TV interviews in the past few days - and impressed the presenters on each programme with his courage and determination.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1126106)   #25
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for posting the link, Ted. I always get inspired when I listen to Alex and he's as humble as ever. "Beep Beep"

Last edited by Dov; 16 Oct 2004 at 18:40.