Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1295101)   #1
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Murray Walker????

With the Queens birthday Honours list round the corner ( June or july I think), Couldn`t Mr Blair make Murray a knight of the relm. 50 Years in Broadcasting of Motorsport, plus being a Tank Officer during WWII fighting for his countrys freedom. Murray should be Knighted rather than say McCartneys of jaggers of this world!!!

Arise Sir Murray Walker!
Old 7 May 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1295110)   #2
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here here!
Old 7 May 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1295113)   #3
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Would support that as well. He has done more than enough in his 50+ broadcasting to justify it.
Old 7 May 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1295119)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's probably high time he got this honour, consideirn ghow much he's contributed to broadcasting and motor sport over the years.
Old 7 May 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1295146)   #5
Mark Edwards
Rookie

Mark Edwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, as much as we all took the mickey out of him for the commentary errors, remember the reception he recieved at his last British Grand Prix. I think it would be a very popular honour with the British public in general and not just the motorsport fans.
Old 7 May 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1295148)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, its about time he became Sir Murray Walker. He'd done enough to deserve it 10 years or more ago IMO, but perhaps now he's actually retired, the time is right.
Old 7 May 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1295187)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, he thoroughly deserves such an honour
Old 7 May 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1295208)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, so stop talking about it and DO something about it!

The forms to nominate someone are available for download from:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/cere...how_to_nom.asp

Now, if all the UK Ten-Tenths users mailed in a form I'm sure it might just happen
Old 7 May 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1295222)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alright, let's go!
Old 7 May 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1295257)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Well, to defend McCartney (although I'm no fan of his) he generated millions in income for the country through his records, and if you are to reward excellence in a field then being the most successful pop star ever should earn you a knighthood.

What is Murray now? I should think an OBE would be more fitting, as after all who in motor racing has a knighthood? 3 time world champs or about the best driver from England...raises the threshold a bit. Patrick Moore had to go through 50 years without missing a programme to get his.

If we're going for a motor sporting KBE, I'd suggest Sir Richard Noble and Sir Andy Green.
Old 7 May 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1295305)   #11
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastinscully
Murray should be Knighted rather than say McCartneys of Jaggers of this world!!!
A tad unfair old boy. Although a huge fan of Muddy Talker, and someone who agrees that he should be honoured, you have to put it into perspective.
Jagger along with the Rolling Stones empire generates huge earnings worldwide some of it with UK registered companies. The merchandise income alone for a Stones World tour is reputed to be worth over £100 million.

Lets all write and get an honour for Murray by all means but don't lets knock those with a gong already.
Old 7 May 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1295319)   #12
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The alternative view is that the McCartneys and Jaggers of this world have already been well-rewarded for their creative endeavours, by earning millions of dollars.

I'm sure that Murray is comfortably well-off, but when you talk about their respective contributions to the world, Murray's material rewards would not come close to McCartney's and Jagger's rewards.

Arise, Sir Murray!
Old 7 May 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1295320)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uhm, didn't Murray already turn down a knighthood of some sorts several years ago?
Or was that someone else that I'm mixing him up with?
Old 8 May 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1295343)   #14
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must say I haven't a problem with Sir Mick Jagger or Sir Paul McCartney.

I feel Sir Nigel Mansell , Sir Murray Walker is most appropriate, next few years Sir Damon Hill too.
Old 8 May 2005, 05:22 (Ref:1295424)   #15
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Sir Murray Walker has a nice ring to it. But Sir Eric Clapton sounds even better...
Old 8 May 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1295439)   #16
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey there, im new here so this is my first post.

Murray is also outside the U.K. pretty known by motorsport fans. I love what you guys call "Murrayism". And if those popstars deserve a knighthood, than Murray also deserves one!
Old 8 May 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1295459)   #17
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of the motorsport personality, Sid Watkins deserves consideration as well.
Old 8 May 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1295473)   #18
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr Murray Walker received an Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1996.

I'm just reading his book "Unless I'm very much mistaken".
Old 8 May 2005, 08:15 (Ref:1295476)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Firstly, welcome WapFlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringottsdirect
Must say I haven't a problem with Sir Mick Jagger or Sir Paul McCartney.

I feel Sir Nigel Mansell , Sir Murray Walker is most appropriate, next few years Sir Damon Hill too.
You had me on board until you mentioned those 2. I mean seriously, Hill and Mansell?

Sir Murray is very appropriate. It matter not to me what incomes were generated, and I would hate for that to be a deciding factor at all, let alone a major one.

IMO, has this person enriched peoples lives is what it should be about IMO. He has certainly done that.

For all his on-air errors, no commentator - past or present, has shown his passion and enthusiam, and overall love for this sport of ours.
Old 8 May 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1295542)   #20
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
Here here!

Hear, hear.
Old 8 May 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1295607)   #21
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Murray Walker sounds well overdue! If Sir Alex Ferguson deserves one, surely Murray's must be in the bag!
Old 8 May 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1295609)   #22
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu
Of the motorsport personality, Sid Watkins deserves consideration as well.
I believe the Prof recieved his OBE in 2002, so certainly he has been considered for honours recently, perhaps a knighthood is a few years off?
Old 8 May 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1295813)   #23
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hear hear, murray deserves it, bing him back from retirement i say.
Old 8 May 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1295830)   #24
jingars
Rookie

jingars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A knighthood for Murray is an excellent idea, and well deserved.

All go to the cabinet office link on the first page of this thread and get their attention.
Old 8 May 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1295864)   #25
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex
Firstly, welcome WapFlap
You had me on board until you mentioned those 2. I mean seriously, Hill and Mansell?
Yes - seriously.
Looking at some of the sporting gongs handed out in the last couple of years -if we have Dame Ellen MacArthur / Dame Kelly Holmes, not that they don't deserve them, then two British F1 World Champions should be recognised.

OK I am biased - I only really follow motorsports, but I think not enough gongs are handed out for achievements in this field.

I'm filling in the Cabinet Office link for Murray straight away.

Can't argue with one for Sid either !