Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Dec 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3787621)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
GOODWOOD REVIVAL

No more to be added- for some the ultimate historic race weekend.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 03:46 (Ref:3842434)   #2
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2018 Goodwood Revival

As my wife is unable to do long distance travel this year, I get to travel from NZ to the UK and Goodwood is part of the somewhat crammed trip.

The official Goodwood Website is a bit confusing at times. Follow some of the many links and you find it is 2017 stuff still on there and finding out 2018 info is not always that easy.

However we have a message on there about the Sears Trophy race, yet it doesn't appear in the current race listings for either Saturday or Sunday. Can anyone please enlighten me?

Comments on here about previous meetings complaining of the amount of wasted time I can only agree with and if I had just one day, it would be Friday... More cars on track. That is what we pay to see.

Having to wait until the last race of the weekend, (again) for the sports racing cars (Sussex Trophy) I love, was beyond my stamina levels for 2016 so I missed them and missed their practice on the Friday too as I was just too tired. Being over 70 then, it isn't exactly going to be any easier this year now that the knees are failing.

Meanwhile we have to put up with pedal cars on a tiny section of the track for two sessions - in the middle of the day? What about the spectators at the 85% of the track who can't see them (forget big screens, just not interested)?

This may be my last visit so I'm determined to see as much as I can and that includes the pre 1966 car park.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3842585)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hi socram, you’re right about the website confusion... For a start recent press releases stated that Friday and Sunday tickets were sold out, and yet they’re still for sale on the site. Edit- now saying Saturday ‘admission only’ sold out, all others limited......

The Sears Trophy was announced a couple of months ago, but no more info has been forthcoming. The release stated that it would be for 50s saloons of a type that raced in the BSCC, which is pretty much the St Mary’s Trophy when it is for 50s cars.... No timetable to suggest when the race is scheduled for, but I guess that will appear at the same time as entry lists, and probably to competitors initially.

From memory the ‘Pre 66’ car park display now includes any tax exempt classics, so up to 1977, but I stand to be corrected on that. The ‘across the road’ attractions, of which that is one, can absorb a day without ever entering the circuit......
Old 11 Aug 2018, 05:06 (Ref:3842931)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A few years ago this event would be a major topic of discussion on here, so what's changed?
Old 11 Aug 2018, 06:15 (Ref:3842935)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
A few years ago this event would be a major topic of discussion on here, so what's changed?
Maybe too much of the 'same old show' and are Goodwood themselves turning it into a touring car drivers sideshow?

The racing's good (very good at times) but, as socram said above, from a pure racing spectator's point of view there is a lot of downtime. And cars aren't what they used to be! (Well some of them anyway).
Old 11 Aug 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3842970)   #6
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From a marshalling point of view, there is far too much down time, and the Settrington Cup would be better suited to the FOS than the Revival. I think the growth in Historic racing in general (no bad thing in my book) also contributes to the lack of raacing interest. I still think the Revival is unique, and is still the first entry in my calendar, closely followed by the Brooklands Double 12. no other race event captures the interest from the public as much as the Revival, but I would rather see different cars & drivers rather than a a bunch of current touring cars guest drivers. However, I think the Revival has played a major part in bringing Historic racing to the forefront of many people, whilst "current" racing staggers along. There is a good article about Historic racing in this week's Autosprout, and the dearth of certain grids, but isn't that down to the ups and downs of all racing championships ?
Old 11 Aug 2018, 13:51 (Ref:3842974)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Great post Mike . I fully agree
Old 11 Aug 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3842976)   #8
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Our Revival plan is to go on the Friday, watch and photograph all the cars that are running at the weekend and then watch the "into the night" race.
The weekend races are then watched on the excellent stream at home.

Both the Revival and FoS suffer from too many BTCC drivers in recent years, I suspect that is because of ITV 4.
As others have said the amount of track time is poor at the weekend, with many pointless events creating huge gaps in the racing timetable.
The number of clueless members of the social set doesn't help either although thankfully they are fewer on the Friday and mostly unwilling to walk any distance around the circuit.

There are more iconic cars running at Goodwood but we now prefer the Classic for all round access.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 05:23 (Ref:3843105)   #9
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The BTCC drivers and naff dressers don't worry me too much, but it seems to be a facet of British and European race meetings that everything is dictated by the clock which means that spectators for many a year have spent far too much time twiddling their thumbs and for drivers, it appears to be even worse.

You have to feel sorry for a driver who has spent months preparing his/her steed, maybe shipping it 1,000's of miles at great expense, only to have a minor hiccup during the warm up lap of the Sunday race, having practiced on a Friday, and that is it.

I know it isn't comparing apples with apples, but a NZ classic/historic meeting, north or south island, is generally non-stop action from as early as 8:30am, squeezing 24 races into a day. That is enough for every car to be out on track twice a day for two days. Sure, there may be an occasional red flag and restart, but the emphasis is on the racing. By the time the last driver has passed the chequered flag and passed two or three flag points, the next grid is on the warm up lap at some tracks.

Track clearance is by radio, not a procession of some old boys slowly cruising round in their classics.

With Goodwood, much as I love it, you get the opportunity to see cars out on track just twice in 3 days - and if you only have a Saturday or Sunday ticket, you only get to see half of them. Slotting in a visit to the pre '66 car park between races isn't quite long enough, so missing out on a least favourite grid is the best option, but that restricts where you next watch from, which is why knowing what the sequence of races is important.

I rarely see any criticism of Goodwood so is the press scared to state the obvious? As most accredited journalists are getting free passes for the three days, plus the press hospitality of course, do they really care? I'm sure they won't bite the hand that feeds them, that is for sure.

Meanwhile, being stuck out in the rain looking at empty tarmac for several hours a day, is a very, very poor spectator experience.

Still nothing on the Sear's trophy race and just 25 days to go. Not really good enough Goodwood.

Last edited by socram; 12 Aug 2018 at 05:33.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3843109)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Some good points there. The one difference between the Revival and other European Historic race meetings is that the competitors are there by invitation only, and so don’t have a lot of say in the programme. The meeting is not run just for their benefit, which may be more the case at other events and in other countries. Your point about journalists may also apply....

Seems to me (and it is purely my opinion) that diehard historic racing spectators are now considered less important than those enjoying corporate hospitality, and or those wanting to enjoy the whole ‘theatrical’ side of the event. As for the cars, there are a few new ones (that can be taken two ways ) at the meeting most years (if you’re lucky), but an awful lot are there every time, thus the racing can be predictable.....

I gave up on making it my highlight of the season years ago, but am privileged to have raced there once- unlikely to happen again. Thank you Goodwood for the live streaming and YouTube channel, which are an example that many other events could follow.....
Old 12 Aug 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3843113)   #11
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
.....Thank you Goodwood for the live streaming and YouTube channel, which are an example that many other events could follow.....
Good points Mike - especially the last one as quoted. I don't particularly like Goodwood's social media stream as they are forever repeating clips of accidents but the actual live stream is a credit to them. As you say, others could follow that lead.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 07:41 (Ref:3843116)   #12
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
The BTCC drivers and naff dressers don't worry me too much, but it seems to be a facet of British and European race meetings that everything is dictated by the clock which means that spectators for many a year have spent far too much time twiddling their thumbs and for drivers, it appears to be even worse.

You have to feel sorry for a driver who has spent months preparing his/her steed, maybe shipping it 1,000's of miles at great expense, only to have a minor hiccup during the warm up lap of the Sunday race, having practiced on a Friday, and that is it.

I know it isn't comparing apples with apples, but a NZ classic/historic meeting, north or south island, is generally non-stop action from as early as 8:30am, squeezing 24 races into a day. That is enough for every car to be out on track twice a day for two days. Sure, there may be an occasional red flag and restart, but the emphasis is on the racing. By the time the last driver has passed the chequered flag and passed two or three flag points, the next grid is on the warm up lap at some tracks.

Track clearance is by radio, not a procession of some old boys slowly cruising round in their classics.

With Goodwood, much as I love it, you get the opportunity to see cars out on track just twice in 3 days - and if you only have a Saturday or Sunday ticket, you only get to see half of them. Slotting in a visit to the pre '66 car park between races isn't quite long enough, so missing out on a least favourite grid is the best option, but that restricts where you next watch from, which is why knowing what the sequence of races is important.

I rarely see any criticism of Goodwood so is the press scared to state the obvious? As most accredited journalists are getting free passes for the three days, plus the press hospitality of course, do they really care? I'm sure they won't bite the hand that feeds them, that is for sure.

Meanwhile, being stuck out in the rain looking at empty tarmac for several hours a day, is a very, very poor spectator experience.

Still nothing on the Sear's trophy race and just 25 days to go. Not really good enough Goodwood.
Goodwood is not representative of UK Historic racing but is now just a very expensive carnival and marketplace. For real historic action go to any HSCC or Masters event at any circuit other than the windswept horror that is now Silverstone. Or try the excellent Castle Combe Classic. All cost a tenth of Goodwood and fill the days with action on the track.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3843170)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Goodwood is not representative of UK Historic racing but is now just a very expensive carnival and marketplace. For real historic action go to any HSCC or Masters event at any circuit other than the windswept horror that is now Silverstone. Or try the excellent Castle Combe Classic. All cost a tenth of Goodwood and fill the days with action on the track.

Popped along to Mallory Park yesterday for the VSCC meeting.

A good crowd though not the biggest I've seen at Mallory and I think the last time I went to the VSCC meeting the crowd might have been bigger.

Gate prices up 25% since then may have had some influence for families?

Quite a number of interesting cars, mainly very historic, parked up in the public parking on the outside of the circuit. Presumably a few inside as well - I never did manage to get around to crossing the bridge.

One or two people in period dress but nothing overdone or deliberately flashy (that I saw). Quite a few groups parked on the bank with picnics, seats, tables and, in some cases, small gazebos.

For some reason the cars on parade did not seem as widely interesting or varied as the last time I went to the equivalent meeting but that's not unusual. The inclusion of a 500cc F3 race allowed some variety as did the Morgan Challenge which of course provided an opportunity for some disguised modern technology.

I don't know for certain and this was only a one day even but I suspect the "footfall" probably exceeded what one might have seen for a day (or maybe two days) at the Donington Historic Festival. Especially if one allows for the number of Competitors and how that affects the numbers of support people and friends and family who will, most of the time, be indistinguishable from purely spectating visitors. If so that would be interesting, though I'm not sure what conclusions could be drawn from the comparison.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 06:51 (Ref:3843280)   #14
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Some interesting and valid comments above. Since I gave up competing and race organising (in NZ), I am now focussed on taking photographs in NZ and obviously, UK.

I dismissed planning on a visit to the UK to centre on Silverstone or Donington, as neither track is amateur photographer friendly, no matter how good the entry. I used to spectate at the Mallory hairpin in the days when I didn't even have access to a telephoto lens but even there, you can't walk right around. Cadwell I love, but it doesn't have a major event and support for some historics has not been that good, with cars being preserved for Goodwood.

Question #1 - can you walk right around the track?
Question #2 - if you can, are you close enough to take a decent photograph with a maximum of a 300mm lens?
Question #3 - If the answer is yes to the above, is your view restricted by concrete blocks and wire fencing?

If the answer is no to any of the above, then quite frankly, no one in their right mind is going to travel from the opposite side of the world.

Goodwood still scores well on the photographic front and overall, the range of cars appeals, but I accept that seeing the same cars and even the same races means it wouldn't be an annual trek, even if I could afford it.

My last visit in 2016, the two races for Austin A30/A35's wasn't exactly a photographic highlight, hence the keenness for the Sears Trophy and St Mary's Trophy races with a variety of saloons.

Friday is obviously the best day to walk right around the track and this time, I am determined to see the Kinrara and Sussex Trophy races, but I may need the nana naps...
Old 13 Aug 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3843353)   #15
rwstokes
Rookie

rwstokes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Some interesting and valid comments above. Since I gave up competing and race organising (in NZ), I am now focussed on taking photographs in NZ and obviously, UK.

I dismissed planning on a visit to the UK to centre on Silverstone or Donington, as neither track is amateur photographer friendly, no matter how good the entry. I used to spectate at the Mallory hairpin in the days when I didn't even have access to a telephoto lens but even there, you can't walk right around. Cadwell I love, but it doesn't have a major event and support for some historics has not been that good, with cars being preserved for Goodwood.

Question #1 - can you walk right around the track?
Question #2 - if you can, are you close enough to take a decent photograph with a maximum of a 300mm lens?
Question #3 - If the answer is yes to the above, is your view restricted by concrete blocks and wire fencing?

If the answer is no to any of the above, then quite frankly, no one in their right mind is going to travel from the opposite side of the world.

Goodwood still scores well on the photographic front and overall, the range of cars appeals, but I accept that seeing the same cars and even the same races means it wouldn't be an annual trek, even if I could afford it.

My last visit in 2016, the two races for Austin A30/A35's wasn't exactly a photographic highlight, hence the keenness for the Sears Trophy and St Mary's Trophy races with a variety of saloons.

Friday is obviously the best day to walk right around the track and this time, I am determined to see the Kinrara and Sussex Trophy races, but I may need the nana naps...
Goodwood is one of the best tracks in the UK for public photography. There are no high fences, its all waist height, and you can indeed do a whole lap around the outside of the track.
I have a 100-400 lens, but almost all these were shot from public areas, bar the few from the chicane which were shot with a press badge. The main paddock is also entry with a badge, rather than fully open, but generally access is really good.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rwsmot...57658445696640
Old 14 Aug 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3843548)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’ve been told by a member of the late Jack Sears family that the race in his memory is scheduled for Saturday. No more info than that, I’m afraid!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3843573)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think the idea is a 20 minute race with a 1958 grid.

The Live stream is superb. by far the best way to watch the actual RACING.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3843631)   #18
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood is a great track with excellent viewing, however the Revival in my opinion is not really for racing enthusuasts.

Whilst there is a lot going on, particularly if you like pedal cars, you will be happy but if its car racing you want you may be disappointed.

Last years Sunday timetable ( according to the internet ) showed gates open at 07.30. Imagine its now 14.10, you have been there nearly 7 hours and so far there have been just 3 car races. the total car racing time is about one hour?

If you want to dress up, marvel at Glam Cabs and Laurel and Hardy, men digging a hole in the road (if they are all still going!)plus the best dressed winner parade, Goodwood Revival is the place for you.

If you want to see plenty of car racing, well, as the nice man in the Goodwood office told me on my last visit a few years ago, " you should go to the Silverstone Classic, there's loads of racing there!"
Old 15 Aug 2018, 06:27 (Ref:3843711)   #19
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not attended since 2013, going this year and must say disapointed with programme, at least what is known of it. Yes too much pandering to " hurray Henry brigade " too little for genuine enthusiasts. St Marys trophy is for Austin A35's again ? Anyone confirm ? Am thinking MM is more for me now, but refuse to pay for fellowship membership just to qualify for tickets which members dont want.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 07:15 (Ref:3843714)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
According to the Revival website the St Mary’s Trophy is for 60s cars this year, which would make sense as were not featured last time.....
Old 15 Aug 2018, 08:12 (Ref:3843724)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
St Marys Trophy, for saloon cars that look a bit like pre '66 ones built by BTCC teams on shaker rigs last week.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 08:31 (Ref:3843731)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
St Marys Trophy, for saloon cars that look a bit like pre '66 ones built by BTCC teams on shaker rigs last week.
Now now....

Who said “Many a true word spoken in jest?”
Old 15 Aug 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3843754)   #23
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sooner they throw the BTCC "guests drivers " out the better. Raising the profile but lowering driving standards. My other half, visiting for first time, has her outfit and is looking forward to this more than I am.....which says it all🤐
Old 15 Aug 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3843838)   #24
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy norm View Post
Sooner they throw the BTCC "guests drivers " out the better. Raising the profile but lowering driving standards. My other half, visiting for first time, has her outfit and is looking forward to this more than I am.....which says it all🤐
Well, there will not be any BTCC drivers at the 2018 MM as it clashes with BTCC round 1 at Brands!
Old 16 Aug 2018, 05:36 (Ref:3843945)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Well, there will not be any BTCC drivers at the 2018 MM as it clashes with BTCC round 1 at Brands!
There likely won’t be any current BTCC drivers, but what about all the old ones......

Anyone visiting the Revival just to see Jenson Button will be disappointed, as the suggested JD Classics entry for him is not happening, according to Autosport today. The company has also decided not to enter a car for Chris Ward, normally a front runner in any of the Jaguar Heritage fleet.....