Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Oct 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3160083)   #1
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BigPond waves chequered flag on V8 sponsorship

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=163694
Quote:
Internet Service and digital content provider, BigPond, today announced its highly successful 10 year sponsorship of the V8 Supercars Championship would come to a close at the conclusion of the 2012 season.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3160127)   #2
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damn I wonder how we're going to get live streaming and live telemetry and stuff now.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3160269)   #3
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Optus?

Vodaphone?
Old 30 Oct 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3160277)   #4
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Strange decision given that supercars is moving into a new era with new manufacturers........did Telstra want no part of COtF?
Old 30 Oct 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3160280)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The story from people who should know was that Telstra could not correlate an increase in patronage from their sponsorship of V8Supercar. If the stories are correct, their backing of other sporting properties has also been done in a similar manner, and these too may see a reduced input from Telstra.

It is a shame.. I can remember in 2003 standing at Queensland Raceway when the Big Pond branding first started appearing at race tracks in a major way...

It is a big loss for V8Supercar, their website, their communication with fans thru mobile apps, thru live timing, thru media outlets all happened at least in some part due to Telstra BigPond.

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Oct 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3160302)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It is a big loss for V8Supercar, their website, their communication with fans thru mobile apps, thru live timing, thru media outlets all happened at least in some part due to Telstra BigPond.
Yes its always been very well integrated into the Bigpond media properties and I am sure being part of that has helped them a lot. its an interesting time we live in.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3160305)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Cant help but think think this may be a good thing.

no longer will we have to be tied to Bigpond to watch the coverage on the Net

thsi could open it up to more people (including O/S audiences)

I guess we shall see

We might also get a better website out of it also.

But its bad for the v8's if they cant replace the sponsor
Old 30 Oct 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3160355)   #8
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
The story from people who should know was that Telstra could not correlate an increase in patronage from their sponsorship of V8Supercar. If the stories are correct, their backing of other sporting properties has also been done in a similar manner, and these too may see a reduced input from Telstra.

It is a shame.. I can remember in 2003 standing at Queensland Raceway when the Big Pond branding first started appearing at race tracks in a major way...

Telstra need only look at their pricing structure compared to offerings from the likes of TPG to find the answer.........it's got nothing to do with motorsport.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3160356)   #9
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Cant help but think think this may be a good thing.

no longer will we have to be tied to Bigpond to watch the coverage on the Net
but how will this effect the digital media rights at a time when they are being renegotiated. To me this seems the conversations may have been finalised, and Telstra will not be at the party, thus will be removing Bigpond from the picture
Old 30 Oct 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3160360)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
but how will this effect the digital media rights at a time when they are being renegotiated. To me this seems the conversations may have been finalised, and Telstra will not be at the party, thus will be removing Bigpond from the picture
Not disagreeing with you.

There is more to this than we currently know. the whole media rights is up for grabs and it makes me think something is near being final
Old 31 Oct 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3160410)   #11
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there talk of Google sniffing around?
or I wonder if Yahoo7 pick up where Bigpond left off?
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:52 (Ref:3160437)   #12
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Perhaps Telstra's arriving at the realisation there's few people under 55 that care to procure (the majority of) their services directly. Most of their revenue's likely earned via wholesale service provision - I'm sure these clients would rather BP's revenue be spent ensuring their ability to provide services at a sufficient standard (i.e. maintaining the degrading copper network).

There's also the possibility that the offerings you've mentioned might improve. The current site's a gigantic turd, littered with unnecessary elements (as with any other BP-maintained site).
Maybe they'll also provide live timing that isn't directed at a Silverlight stream, and without requiring subscription.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 31 Oct 2012 at 01:57.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 02:17 (Ref:3160444)   #13
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and what did ppl see most of, on the Telstra services???

888 Vodafone Commodores.

that would have to annoy the crap out of Telstra.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 04:38 (Ref:3160463)   #14
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Pecky, this will no doubt be a good thing as I was never impressed with their online package...
Old 31 Oct 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3160496)   #15
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a whole lot more than just actual sponsorship dollars at play here. There is a huge infrastructure effort involved in setting up communications at race meetings, particularly at all the street circuits V8SC visit.

I'm not talking just a temporary mobile tower here and there. A whole bunch voice & data stuff that is used by race control, teams, media, patrons etc.

It's likely that V8SC will have to pay full quid for all that effort moving forward as opposed to it being some sort of contra component to the sponsorship currently.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3160554)   #16
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sponsor leaving is never a good sign, and it removes a point of leverage for a replacement in negotiations.

If there was a replacement sponsor in the wings - or already agreed - you would think that V8SC would have jumped out with their own statement in order to maintain confidence.

Given the difficulties they're having securing a suitable TV deal ($$$ and coverage) the loss of a potential digital partner as well, TC's well publicised diversion to the potential of digital rights:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/08/22/...-negotiations/

has just lost a key plank.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3160558)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspence View Post
A sponsor leaving is never a good sign, and it removes a point of leverage for a replacement in negotiations.

If there was a replacement sponsor in the wings - or already agreed - you would think that V8SC would have jumped out with their own statement in order to maintain confidence.

Given the difficulties they're having securing a suitable TV deal ($$$ and coverage) the loss of a potential digital partner as well, TC's well publicised diversion to the potential of digital rights:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/08/22/...-negotiations/

has just lost a key plank.
Unless (fingers crossed) the replacement has already been lined up.

Wonder who the new title sponsor of the Sydney (insert name here) 500 might be from next year?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Oct 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3160724)   #18
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
There's a whole lot more than just actual sponsorship dollars at play here. There is a huge infrastructure effort involved in setting up communications at race meetings, particularly at all the street circuits V8SC visit.

I'm not talking just a temporary mobile tower here and there. A whole bunch voice & data stuff that is used by race control, teams, media, patrons etc.

It's likely that V8SC will have to pay full quid for all that effort moving forward as opposed to it being some sort of contra component to the sponsorship currently.
I know that most (read: nearly all) of the infrastructre is at all the permanent tracks, Winton for sure.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3160740)   #19
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I know that most (read: nearly all) of the infrastructre is at all the permanent tracks, Winton for sure.
I think that Billy is referring to the B double media centre, the internet connection and phone lines via satellite to it, the wireless LAN the teams use plus a range of other comms items.

For sure the permanent tracks DO have infrastructure in place but for example, none of them have enough phone lines for media at a V8SC meeting - given that it's only a once a year need though, V8SC bring in what is needed and that has been a Bigpond thing.

V8SC will ideally want to keep funding all that.

By the way, are you no longer big?
Old 31 Oct 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3160747)   #20
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BigPond to step down to a "Official Communications Supplier" role.... cheaper for them....

I'm sure there's someone else in the wings, however, with a number of redundancies at HQ, TC retiring, the Stone Bro's selling part the team to some unknown property developer with a thing for Merc's, one can't help but wonder if Archer is rubbing some people the wrong way and being too hands on.