Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 12 Jan 2004, 15:56 (Ref:835518)   #1
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
GPL broken...

Trying to load GPL I get the title screen and then nothing, pooter freezes, nothing works.

Or sometimes the title screen goes off and everything stays black, frozen, zilch.

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've uninstalled & reinstalled it, have an old enough machine, never had probs before & have no probs with other games. Or will I have to cough up the £5 to get a new one (if I can find one)?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:12 (Ref:835549)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tried rebooting?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:55 (Ref:835602)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a layout file is missing

First browse the CD and copy the folder named "layout" and the file called "mainback.pbf and put them in your C:\Sierra\gpl\ (or equivalent) folder
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:13 (Ref:835628)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
That may be the problem, there is only 1 file in the layout folder and that is called 'layout'...
Old 12 Jan 2004, 18:22 (Ref:835723)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yep that's right. (it's actually layout.dat if you look in file properties)
mainback.pbf will appear in the main gpl folder, not in the layout folder. you'll see it as plain 'mainback' though
Old 12 Jan 2004, 18:46 (Ref:835764)   #6
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Can't find mainback anywhere, even using the search engine. Seems to have been removed somehow.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 18:55 (Ref:835772)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
search for "mainback.pbf" just to be sure. If it's not found in either your CD drive or your hard drive, i'm sure one of us can email you it (i don't have the original backed up, but Ayse probably has)
Old 12 Jan 2004, 19:03 (Ref:835783)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
wait, i do have it. PM me with your email address if you need it
Old 12 Jan 2004, 19:04 (Ref:835786)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
And it's hcopy you need, not mainback Search for that. Mainback is held within that layout file. Doh!
Old 12 Jan 2004, 21:38 (Ref:835913)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
OK, they're both in the C drive thingy.

(I must warn you, I know nothing about how pooters work...)
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:24 (Ref:835971)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What version of GPL are you installing? Are you installng from one of the "Sold Out" final versions?
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:18 (Ref:836236)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
The Sierra one.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:20 (Ref:836304)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The one thing I'm wondering about is whether any of your GPL files are (or have become) read only. Highlight and check properties and uncheck any read-onlys and see if that makes any difference. (I'm clutching at straws - its difficult enough sorting out your own GPL problems let alone trying to do it remotely for someone else when you can't actually see whats in the folders...... )
Old 22 Jan 2004, 06:51 (Ref:846431)   #14
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had the same problem and tried various things and ultimately had to admit defeat...

I had GPL a few years ago on another (vastly inferior)computer and now I cannot get it to work for the life of me on my sony laptop.

Buttocks.

Last edited by DavidStHubbins; 22 Jan 2004 at 06:52.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 08:32 (Ref:846488)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It can be a problematical sim, but you have to be absolutely methodical how you go about installing from scratch to make sure that you have all the essential files and patches in place - particularly before you start modifying tracks and files. One useful thing to do is when you have it working well (perhaps that should be "if"), take a full back-up copy of your gpl folder. Perhaps burn it to disk? Then if you have to do a fresh install (as I did a couple fo weeks ago after a Windows failure), you can then put back all of the things that you spent months (even years) collecting. Doesn't necessarily work with some ancillary programs which rely on register entries, but it has worked brilliantly for me.

For those struggling. Uninstall everything. Clear out any reference to GPL and start again. Once you have the basic game installed and you make sure it runs OK. Then start to apply the essential patches (perhaps using the all-in-one patch from the RSC forum).
Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:16 (Ref:847023)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
All-In-One patch is actually available here rather than on RSC

http://trackdb.d2g.com
Old 22 Jan 2004, 18:21 (Ref:847242)   #17
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
right considering this is a gpl problem thread, i have a few problems my self with gpl.
I don't have a core.ini, although i do have a core.ini.sample. i'm only asking this cause i noticed a AA fix on the RSC forums, and it requires a modification to the core.ini to get it working.
Also I'm having trouble with getting force feedback, I don't seem to be getting any when i turn my profiler settings down. I have the forcefeedback turned on in my core.sample.ini, (value is set at 1). Is this right? What settings are you guys using?
I have damping set at 40.0, latency set at 0.085, and torque at 225.0.
help

Last edited by Try Hard; 22 Jan 2004 at 18:21.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 18:28 (Ref:847248)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
rename core.ini.sample to core.ini With the sample on the end it doesn't do anything
Old 22 Jan 2004, 18:43 (Ref:847263)   #19
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok cheers, i take it that will help for the FF too...
Old 25 Jan 2004, 12:59 (Ref:849957)   #20
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
OK, there seems to be a problem with ActiveMovie, it will not re-install the game because I have to 'uninstall my existing ActiveMovie and run setup again'.

I cannot find anything called ActiveMovie on my pooter. Does it disguise itself?
Old 25 Jan 2004, 14:48 (Ref:850018)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, I know nothing about active movie. Is that something to do with DirectX?

You can enable FF in your core.ini :-

[ Joy ]
allow_force_feedback = 1 ; Use FF if device has it

and these are my FF settings in the core.ini

force_feedback_damping = 15.0 ; force feedback damping coefficient
force_feedback_latency = 0.001600 ; force feedback latency (secs)
max_steering_torque = 225.0 ; steering torque in N*in giving max device force