Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Aug 2007, 06:42 (Ref:1978783)   #51
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Colin Bond bought a car off Don Smith at the start of 1988, along with an agreement that he would also take delivery of a shell Don Smith was awaiting delivery of from Europe. However when the shell arrived Miedecke had done a deal with Andrew Bagnall to have the shell, and Bagnall got it.
Mr Bond ran the borrowed car (from Mr Giddings) for season 1988, until a new shell arrived in time for the endurance races (and built up by Mr Bond's team), where Mr Giddings and Mr Stewart teamed up in a second Caltex-branded Sierra for the enduros that year.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Sep 2007, 07:22 (Ref:2004040)   #52
jeek
Rookie

jeek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i have been doing a bit more hunting around and speaking to the previous owner! and we have come across the original grill that was on the car with original ICS paintowrk on it!

Like in this pic!

Do the people who know Mr rouse.think it would be possible to get something signed saying this is his old car? Or ask him if he would mind if i had some contact details for him?
Old 5 Sep 2007, 09:03 (Ref:2004097)   #53
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Nice one, now don't forget if you do restore it put the right US 2.3 Pinto Turbocharged engine as fitted to the Merkur, Mustang and Thunderbird and not the easy Cossie route as that would ruin a bit of important Ford history as this was the transitional car that eventually resulted in putting the Cossie on the motorsport map.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 09:49 (Ref:2004122)   #54
jeek
Rookie

jeek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah we are still in 2 minds if we will restore it or not but if we do we will try find a merkur engine!
Old 7 Feb 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2123271)   #55
Mikelee
Rookie

Mikelee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wondering what the outcome has been with the car?
Have you decided wether or not to restore it? Exciting stuff
Old 13 Mar 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2150786)   #56
Wireless
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Wireless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee
Just wondering what the outcome has been with the car?
Have you decided wether or not to restore it? Exciting stuff
Me too. What happened...?
Old 15 Mar 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2152485)   #57
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeek
Yeah we are still in 2 minds if we will restore it or not but if we do we will try find a merkur engine!
I would think the Pinto Turbo engine if finadable in the UK, have an ask on the NSRA site,Plenty op people rip out the Turbo engine on favour of a V8, and ofte have non Turbo 2.3s laying about as Mustang 2s are often pillaged for their front suspension. http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/
+ There is often a fella on here, http://www.racecarsdirect.com/categories/25.html sellig BTTC sierra parts, could be worth a looksie
Ian
Old 15 Mar 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2152565)   #58
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
When I was going to build one years ago I found a non turbo engine easy enough it was all the other stuff that went with it was the problem mind you no eBay or internet back then!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2156363)   #59
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37
I hate to say it but there is no way that that is the roll cage from a GpA anything. No door bars, no front section, no marks of it being attached to the shell and rather amateurish looking bolts on it. Perhaps the front wings came from the Rouse car, but that looks like a homebuilt job to me.
Agree.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2156501)   #60
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I thought we already agreed that and that maybe the original was alloy which was changed after its BTCC career to comply with club racing.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2156519)   #61
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Not a Cat in Hells chance Rouse Ever sat his backside in that SHED.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2156605)   #62
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Now now steady on, I have a 'shed' in my garage, well it looks a shed at the moment as its in bits but I can absolutely assure you much more famous and accomplished drivers than Andy Rouse have driven including at least 4 or 5 F1drivers it so don't judge a book by its cover especially one that has been left out in the elements. Read the thread properly and you will see reference to the original cage mounting points. All BTTC cars of the period were based on a simple off the line road car shell, leave it out in the rain for ten years and thats what you end up with!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 23:12 (Ref:2156807)   #63
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still not sure of the colour, as originally it was blue but now white. Of course it could have been given a repaint, but under the white layer there is absolutely no trace of blue paint whatsoever. How come??

+ did these cars have the air jack/point thingies on both sides?
Old 20 Mar 2008, 02:42 (Ref:2156889)   #64
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison
Not a Cat in Hells chance Rouse Ever sat his backside in that SHED.
If you look back at the beginning of the thread, you'll see that quite a few of us [me included] took your position about the car when we first saw the pictures. But as Al's said, since the thread's developed, it would appear that there's more and more evidence that this may indeed be one of his shells. You have to bear in mind that what's here is bereft of all the good bits. Even the cage has been removed [A wierd thing to do unless it went rallying]. Essentially its the same as the remains of a reshell, if somebody had done that. To turn this into a Group A XR4Ti would be a more difficult task than Andy faced in building it from scratch originally.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2156982)   #65
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
If you look back at the beginning of the thread, you'll see that quite a few of us [me included] took your position about the car when we first saw the pictures. But as Al's said, since the thread's developed, it would appear that there's more and more evidence that this may indeed be one of his shells. You have to bear in mind that what's here is bereft of all the good bits. Even the cage has been removed [A wierd thing to do unless it went rallying]. Essentially its the same as the remains of a reshell, if somebody had done that. To turn this into a Group A XR4Ti would be a more difficult task than Andy faced in building it from scratch originally.
Fair enough - so basically a worthless box that it would be stupid saying really had any link to the Rouse car. The Turbo XR4's were just a one year stop gap in any case. Did not make much power (approx 350) either. Preferred the GTV6's that one it a year or twoo b4 and of cause the Proper Cossies.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2156985)   #66
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Fuel Filler

I've been watching this thread with interest since it started, but yesterday I decided to re-read it through.
Looking at the pictures I've noticed that the fuel filler cap is still in position, which I'm sure is not right. Even if the car didn't have a long distance tank and the traditional Premier fillers on either side, I'm sure that Andy Rouse Engineering would have plated this hole over and filled the (whatever) tank directly.
There's also mention of a chassis number (presumably the one stamped into the floorpan?). This would only be present on a raod car, and again, surely a Group A car would have been built up from a bare shell? There's far too much of the road car to be thrown away when building a Group A Touring Car (this was certainly the case with Group A Cosworths).
Just my thoughts and observations...

Last edited by VIVA GT; 20 Mar 2008 at 08:34.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2156991)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Fair enough - so basically a worthless box that it would be stupid saying really had any link to the Rouse car.
No. I accept you're entitled to your opinion - not that it adds anything at all to what has been an interesting debate/discussion since this thread started. Whether its a worthless box isn't for you to decide nor is it at all stupid. Perhaps when making such comments you might like to add a simple 'IMO'......
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2157010)   #68
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
No. I accept you're entitled to your opinion - not that it adds anything at all to what has been an interesting debate/discussion since this thread started. Whether its a worthless box isn't for you to decide nor is it at all stupid. Perhaps when making such comments you might like to add a simple 'IMO'......
IMHO - Even if it has ANY of the Original Car in there, there IS so little of it, to make it Worthless IMO.

I am on the side that think it is not a Group A shell.

Also - Get a grip - This is not life of Death stuff!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2157012)   #69
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who said it was.......?
Old 20 Mar 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2157033)   #70
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
IMHO - Even if it has ANY of the Original Car in there, there IS so little of it, to make it Worthless IMO.

I am on the side that think it is not a Group A shell.

Also - Get a grip - This is not life of Death stuff!
Good manners cost nothing. Bad manners, however, can be very costly so suggest you learn some basic ones if you want to continue posting here.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2157054)   #71
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
Good manners cost nothing. Bad manners, however, can be very costly so suggest you learn some basic ones if you want to continue posting here.
You have never met me. We are just syba geek on here. You obviously have never met me Via Pistonheads either. Ok officially bored of this now.

For what it's worth - IMO that car is not an ex-Rouse one.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2157055)   #72
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure either way as there are bits that do look original and bits that don't.

As for it being a road shell that doesn't surprise me at all, a lot of late '70s early '80s Group 1 cars were roadshells first (and Mr Rouse was quite an old-fashioned engineer), sometimes it was the only way to get the particular shell you wanted and in the case of the XR4Ti I would have thought it was a particularly rare beast to get hold of.

Going back to one of my earlier posts I did send a link to this discussion to Pete Hall (who would have been involved in the build/spec of the car) and neither he (or Andy) have ever come back to me or posted on here, so make of that what you will.

O/T - This isn't Pistonheads.com!!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2157144)   #73
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Going back to one of my earlier posts I did send a link to this discussion to Pete Hall (who would have been involved in the build/spec of the car) and neither he (or Andy) have ever come back to me or posted on here, so make of that what you will.
I read somewhere [Autosport possibly ?] that Andy has no interest in his old cars and is not a man for nostalgia. I don't know him, so I can't say for sure, but that may explain his lack of action here Gregor.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2157149)   #74
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
I read somewhere [Autosport possibly ?] that Andy has no interest in his old cars and is not a man for nostalgia. I don't know him, so I can't say for sure, but that may explain his lack of action here Gregor.
That's true (he only has one racecar at his home and that's a new one!!) but I he'd be interested if someone was passing off a fake (sic), plus Pete Hall is very interested in old cars (he had one of the largest collections of old cars in the country until recently) and would be the same.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2157164)   #75
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
That's true (he only has one racecar at his home and that's a new one!!) but I he'd be interested if someone was passing off a fake (sic), plus Pete Hall is very interested in old cars (he had one of the largest collections of old cars in the country until recently) and would be the same.
Out of interest did any of his 'old' cars have any touring car race history? I.E Ex Rouse Grp 1 or Grp A chassis?