Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Sep 2000, 01:09 (Ref:38867)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I have just read the interviews, and it seems that team work can be brought up to the ultimate development here. Will the two Ferraris be leapfrogging each other down the fast section to gain speed? Will the two McLarens be doing the same thing? It seems this was what Mika did for DC to get DC onto the front row. How about that? I think that we are going to see slipstreaming returning to F1 in a big way. I think we are going to see overtaking again, at least for this one race. Perhaps, if they removed those silly chicanes at the other circuits, we may see a lot more overtaking in F1.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 01:15 (Ref:38869)   #2
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looked like they were slipstreaming alright although I don't understand how this is possible.
People who know more about this subject than I do always say nowadays it's impossible to slipstream due to the 'dirty air' behind a car.
Can someone explain whether it's possible to slipstream at Indy and how it's done?
Old 24 Sep 2000, 01:34 (Ref:38874)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Slipstreaming is possible along the straights

Slipstreaming is possible along the straights, as witnessed at Spa. However, it is not very wise to follow the car in front into a corner too close because the turbulence affects the front wings of the following car which then affects the cornering ability, as well as causing increased tyre wear. However, if you have a long enough straight, then slipstreaming along the straight can help a car to overtake in the straight provided the car in front does not swerve at the overtaking moment, again as witnessed at Spa. At Indy, because the second section of the "straight" is actually the banked curve, blocking by swerving becomes a rather risky manouevre because the sudden swerving could cause a car to lose traction and run into the wall. Oh!! happy Days are here!!