Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Sep 2000, 19:49 (Ref:38813)   #1
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you seen the last quarter of the qualifs.? It seems that slipstreaming is back. It's been only a mirage?. What do you think?
Old 23 Sep 2000, 20:32 (Ref:38826)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, DC definitely slipstreamed Mika to outqualify him and Rubens. That was great team-work, to get 2-3 in qualifying instead of 2-4.
Old 23 Sep 2000, 21:06 (Ref:38830)   #3
nigelr
Rookie

nigelr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And so there must be a deal - Mika gets past DC in the race. Is this going to be a first-corner 'no no after you' shuffle like the one that got MS punted off at the Nurburgring?
Old 23 Sep 2000, 21:24 (Ref:38837)   #4
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, and hopefully it'll be Schumacher and Hakkinen to go off!! While I've not seen the move, I've read about it and it seems as though the idea was there but the execution wasn't quite good enough.

DC was supposed to be able to get the pole, but still failed by almost 0.2 against Schumacher's fastest time. Good teamwork, however...
Old 23 Sep 2000, 23:59 (Ref:38854)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't work when the Ferrari guys tried it though. Why do you think TGF got so far ahead of Rubens? Should he not have slowed down?
Old 24 Sep 2000, 01:02 (Ref:38863)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought Rubens not being able to keep up was very telling. Nothing against him or his ability, but it was as though Schumacher was like a puppy left off the lead, and disappearing into the distance, looking over his shoulder going "well, are you going to chase me or not?..".

This is perhaps more of a question for the tech forum, but maybe the more scientifically minded can give me an answer here:

The wings being run by all the cars this weekend are so obviously bigger than those Indy is accustomed to. Certainly the pundits didn't expect the fast teams to be running nearly so much downforce.

If the cars are pulling 60mph less round turn 13 than the Indycars do, whilst travelling on their own, just what sort of mph boost can a driver expect if he is slipstreaming an opponent down to turn 1?

And would a team drafting theoretically improve the fuel consumption for their cars?

I can't believe I'm asking these sorts of questions. Slipstreaming in F1. It's alien, it's strange, it's... good to see it back. I've missed it.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 01:16 (Ref:38870)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Great idea

I was so excited after reading teh intervies that I posted my thread before reading this one - sorry guys.
This is great news, and I hope that we can get circuits to be faster, rid them of chicanes, and we can put racing back into F1, rather than watch boring processions. I have always wondered why the F1 wings cannot be reduced in size to the same as the CART cars' wings. Advertising space, I suppose.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 10:03 (Ref:38917)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heheee, I've just read the Press Conference transcript

Q: David, you just missed getting the pole position but it seems great teamwork. Whose idea was it to send Mika out with you for the last two laps he has left over?

MH : It was my idea.

MS : No, it was my idea. (laughing)

DC : Actually, Adrian came...
Old 24 Sep 2000, 10:36 (Ref:38919)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Adrian : Erh... no seriously, it was Ferrari's idea, we just followed the fashion...

Old 24 Sep 2000, 12:54 (Ref:38943)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engineers I know say "If it works, it's the answer." When McLaren saw it work for Michael, they no doubt said, "Hey, we could do that!" and they did.

But what did Mika think when David used his friendly tow to leapfrog him? Did he say?
Old 24 Sep 2000, 13:50 (Ref:38954)   #11
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika: "It was The Michael's fault!"