Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Sep 2000, 01:04 (Ref:38865)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot has been said about the Indianapolis track, mostly in a negative way. I know there are probably better venues for an USA Grand Prix but after seeing free practice and qualifying, there's only one thing I can say: I like the track.
The infield is probably a bit tight and doesn't allow any overtaking, but watching the cars accelerate on the oval part is fascinating.
After all has been said and done I think Tony George and everyone involved have done a great job.
Here's to an exciting race.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 13:17 (Ref:38946)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also like the track, and I think Indianapolis is the best venue to host the USGP. Three reasons:
1. The oval part of the track - awesome!!!
2. The history of the place.
3. It's probably the best choice if F1 aims to capture the interest of the American public.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 13:24 (Ref:38948)   #3
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not so sure that there will be no overtaking in the infield section. There has to be an opportunity into the first hairpin of that sequence of two, as I think Caulthard showed in Malaysia last year when he took Schumi at the second corner I hink that a brave move down the inside of the right hander might result in a passing manover.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 14:52 (Ref:38960)   #4
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But what about that section after the back straight (turns 9 + 10 i think) A DOUBLE hairpin?? Yuk. The rest seems reasonable. A bit flat and bland but likable. Turn 1 should see some overtaking......
Old 24 Sep 2000, 14:53 (Ref:38961)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After driving 100 or so laps of the circuit I have come to like it a little more, however, I just wish there was a place to pass other than in the slip stream going across the start finish line.

The 3 1st gear corners after the back straight are totally useless too. They serve no purpose in slowing the cars down, and totally brake a driver's rhythym.

The other problem is that the track is very twisty and tight. That is why I there will be no passing through the infield section. Going side by side through any turns between 2 and 12 would be suicide.

I have a feeling that backmarkers will play a big role in the race, and might add some excitement. The track is very short, so it will not take very long for the front runners to catch the backmarkers. Plus, the only place to get passed a backmarker on the infield is if the backmarker lifts the throttle on the back straight, otherwise even Mika Hakkinen will have to follow Marc Gene for an entire lap around the circuit, until they go passed the start finish straight. And if he blows that move, he will have to follow the back marker for another lap. It might be interesting.

---------------------
PS On Saturday morning 3 Canadian Formula One fans were found dead in their trailer outside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Saturday. They apparently died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. I would just like to extend my deepest condolences to their family and friends.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 16:56 (Ref:38987)   #6
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a terrible, terrible thing to have happen an dI'm sorry to hear what happed to those folks. My thougt are with them and theirs.

As for the track, I had heard a while back that there was a possiblity that they may extend the circuit in the future as it is a little short. They do have the room. I watched the qualifying yesterday and I have to give th eIndy folks credit in that they did a fine job of building a track worthy of a GP. Should be interesting.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 20:57 (Ref:39032)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was prepared not to like it, but from the first shots i saw on Friday afternoon, I thought the track seemed great.

I still think that the double hairpin at turns No. 9 and 10 are problematic, but I understand that the Speedway is planning revisions for next year's race.

I was expecting to see more passing on the back straight along Hulman Blvd. But the main straight into turn one provided plenty of action.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 03:31 (Ref:39081)   #8
Hyacinth
Rookie

Hyacinth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Re Turns 9 & 10-
Great nickname for that ridiculous double hairpin, courtesy of the Fox Sports Net broadcast team (Mike Joy and Derek Bell) -

"Mickey" & "Mouse"
Old 25 Sep 2000, 05:42 (Ref:39091)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So you like the last turn huh? Well get this, IRL cars do that 4 times a lap, for 250 laps in the Indy 500! And whats better, they go faster than the F1 cars!! Ahahahah.....

I like it, I love Indy, and who cares about the **** out the back there....it's still Indy!
Old 25 Sep 2000, 06:04 (Ref:39093)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

JUST AS A MATTER OF INTEREST, WHAT IF THE RAN THE RACE IN THE ANTI-CLOCKWISE DIRECTION?
Old 25 Sep 2000, 09:16 (Ref:39114)   #11
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it, with reservations. That last turn made for great TV pics, it looked awesome, but they're ging to have to do something about that infield section. Way too fiddly. Now, if they can travel at 200 mph round turn 13 with concrete walls what is all this business with ALL those chicanes at Monza?
Old 25 Sep 2000, 09:31 (Ref:39116)   #12
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, too, like the track (for the most part). Infield does need some revision for the reasons others have stated, but to see those cars unwind around the oval and down the main straight at full song, with the sound positively shaking the old Brickyard was . . . awesome.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 11:18 (Ref:39131)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure about the infield section myself but the most striking thing, to me, was the difference between the fastest and the slowest cars. The gap seemed to be reduced from that at any other track this year. Witness Mazzacanne holding up the Macaroon 9possibly due to the imminent engine problem).
Old 25 Sep 2000, 12:31 (Ref:39152)   #14
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After friday´s practice, I realized what a beautiful circuit it was. And on race day, with the on-board camera in barrichelo´s ferrari, it really showed what a great track it is.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 12:49 (Ref:39156)   #15
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's been a surprise for most of us.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 13:07 (Ref:39159)   #16
ireshad
Rookie

ireshad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, apparently I'm alone in my opinion that the cars looked like they were strangling in the twisty section, and in not liking banking. Personally I though a lot of the track was Monacoesque without the glamour. I was impressed by the fact that the cars seemed to be able to tow on the straights, something that seems to have died out elsewhere.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 13:40 (Ref:39167)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At last F1 has found a track that GP cars can overtake on...
and it took the USA who have had nothing to do with F1 for years to show us how it is done.

That banked oval curve onto the main straight - awesome

The long straight - plenty of time to build up a good tow

The first corner - just right for outbraking into

The width - have you ever seen such a wide track?

It showed that its the tracks that are at fault not the cars.

Did cars have trouble following others closely on the main straight-No. Was overtaking a problem- No, when was the last time you saw an F1 car overtake on the outside (Go Schuey!).

Bernie must be delighted - screw up Hungary's contract next year and review all 'dullathon' circuits.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 13:43 (Ref:39168)   #18
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After having just returned from Indy. I have only one thing to say about the track.

WWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

It was fabulous. I can't compare to other venues from personal experience. My seats were right in front of the braking point on the front straight. Incredible watching the cars going from +200mph to 60 in less than 100 meters. I could see most of the front straight all the way to when they went down Hulman Blvd. (the back straight). What I couldn't see, I watched on the Jumbotron right in front of us.

I liked "Mickey" and "Mouse". It was an excellent contradiction to the front straight.

The fans were incredible. Not quite as rowdy during the pre-race evenings as the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400 events. We will work on that next year!!!
Old 26 Sep 2000, 06:49 (Ref:39336)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed everybody wants to see the infield section revised, however I think that the real big difference between Indy and other tracks is that Indy is relatively high-downforce, but with a mile of full throttle!!! Nothing similar elsewhere, I guess. On the safety part, turn 1 could be dangerous when someone misses it at over 330 km/h, however there's nothing near to hit, so no need to slow the cars down! I say redesign it, a chicane in the middle of the second (short) straight would be nice! My two-pen... hey, don't shoot!
Old 26 Sep 2000, 11:00 (Ref:39365)   #20
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm still not impressed by the track - the infield is ridiculously twisty and it's too flat.

It did however throw up one the best races of the year - so credit where credit's due.

:confused:
Old 26 Sep 2000, 12:45 (Ref:39387)   #21
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is my only criticism of the track. I wish it did have some elevation changes. But no other track in the world can host that many fans, which was worth the trade off. I loved seeing the ocean of Ferrari flags as MS crossed the finish line. It rivaled Monza.