Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 11 Nov 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2788601)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Travis Pastrana leaves Subaru

It's late, yes but there wasn't a thread up yet.

He's rumoured to be going to Nascar, but I guessing he could go to the WRC next year. I think he's ready.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2788643)   #2
bobwoodlock
Rookie

bobwoodlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he'll go to WRC as fighting the same battle as Ken Block is not in his sights. NASCAR is the way he'll go as he is now a part owner of his own team with Michael Waltrip.

http://www.rallyfix.com/blogs/detail/Cats-Out-of-the-Bag-Pastrana-Waltrip-Racing/290
Old 14 Nov 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2790567)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You still might see pastrana in a subaru in rallycar events next year, just not as a "works" driver.

There are some drivers being bandied about, some a surprise, some underwhelming and there is always a possibility of subaru cutting back it's rally involvement in the USA.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2790576)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest Pastrana is far too big and high profile to be in American rallying or rallycross

It's the equivalent really of someone like Carl Fogarty racing in national motocross.

He belongs in something like NHRA or where he is going, NASCAR, Toyota will sell a heap of merchandise and no doubt Travis will still be able to do all the stuff he is famous for.

Everyone wins really
Old 14 Nov 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2790657)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
To be honest Pastrana is far too big and high profile to be in American rallying or rallycross

It's the equivalent really of someone like Carl Fogarty racing in national motocross.

He belongs in something like NHRA or where he is going, NASCAR, Toyota will sell a heap of merchandise and no doubt Travis will still be able to do all the stuff he is famous for.

Everyone wins really
Well no doubt Nascar is the place to be outside of F1 in terms of the overall exposure and money available.

But I think he is going to have a steep learning curve compared to rally.

When he came into rally and Subaru started funding it with 7 figure budgets, they basically were using a sledgehammer when everyone else was bringing a little toy hammer to the party. Throughout the years he dominated there were few times that you had full blown pro support and sponsorship with other cars out there. Almost all the other cars out there in Rally America were being built in people's garages and run off the backs of their business or personal wealth at a tiny fraction of what Subaru provided to VSC to run that program for pastrana and block.

So not to diminish what pastrana was able to accomplish, but he was an enormous fish in a tiny puddle and Nascar is going to be a massive step up in competition on all levels.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 00:16 (Ref:2790722)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh I am fully aware that astrana was a huge fish in a tiny pond

Think it was all about maing a new scene for him and getting him known on 4 wheels.

NASCAR is the biggest motorsport in the US and a huge learning curve. He has little race experience and in all honesty his biggest hero was Colin McRae! So I guess this will just be fun!! Never understood why he dodnt do what Block is doing and try WRC, maybe coz Subaru pulled out
Old 15 Nov 2010, 00:32 (Ref:2790726)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Oh I am fully aware that astrana was a huge fish in a tiny pond

Think it was all about maing a new scene for him and getting him known on 4 wheels.

NASCAR is the biggest motorsport in the US and a huge learning curve. He has little race experience and in all honesty his biggest hero was Colin McRae! So I guess this will just be fun!! Never understood why he dodnt do what Block is doing and try WRC, maybe coz Subaru pulled out
Well I think from his perspective, rally is where it is at, but he has been there done that and the WRC requires a lot of time and travel overseas. Unless he cuts his media commitments and other stuff, I don't see it happening in regards to the WRC.

We'll see what happens next.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2790953)   #8
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have loved to see travis with block in the wrc, but all his other stuff would stop him from doing it.

Cant say im happy he is not rallying now and going to nascar. It might be big in the us but its rubbish!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2791066)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Lol, NASCAR rubbish! Are you for real!

It might not be as good as it once was, but it's unpredictable, close and hard fought.

The races are a little too long for my tastes, but at least a few different people can win!

And it's a billion times more popular in the US than rallying! Hence why Travis has had to get involved. He may love rallying more, but he was only really exposed to that through the X-Games and McRae.

He could make a living doing what he is doing, but fair play he is looking for the big challenge!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2791114)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

It might not be as good as it once was, but it's unpredictable, close and hard fought.

The races are a little too long for my tastes, but at least a few different people can win!

And it's a billion times more popular in the US than rallying! Hence why Travis has had to get involved. He may love rallying more, but he was only really exposed to that through the X-Games and McRae.

He could make a living doing what he is doing, but fair play he is looking for the big challenge!
I think him and block really helped to raise the profile of rally in America which at the end of 2003 into 2004 looked like it could die. It is still very much a fringe sport, but it does have a draw in certain regional centers of the USA, very popular in New England and the northeast, the western Great Lakes region, Colorado and the Pacific Northwest.

I guess now what is more interesting to me is what fills the void in rally america?
Old 15 Nov 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2791142)   #11
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to say I'm in full agreement with Chunder. A lot of motorsport fans seem quick to ridicule NASCAR, yet I wonder how many of them have actually followed a season. I would watch a NASCAR race over a modern F1 race any day of the week.

Back on topic its a shame for Subaru and rally in America that Pastrana has moved on to pastures new. Hopefully we'll see him back in rally/rallycar from time to time though. I'm intereted to see what Subaru USA do: will they promote Mirra to the number 1 position? I certainly think Mirra has improved his form in 2010, but enough to front the team? I think not. If another driver is brought in, will they opt for talent, or just another big name to promote the brand?

NB: The last time we see Pastrana in a Subaru?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTNvTBmhGAw
Old 15 Nov 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2791150)   #12
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Yeah i am for real, i have watched it and its rubbish. Dont get me wrong the racing can be close but i just find it abit crap.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2791157)   #13
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
As for Subaru, it will be another big name in the other seat.

been impressed with Mirra this season, he has come along loads in 2010
Old 24 Nov 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2795170)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
How about Pastrana entering the Rally Mexico on March 6?
Old 25 Nov 2010, 23:08 (Ref:2795857)   #15
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
How about Pastrana entering the Rally Mexico on March 6?
Dont think that will happen

Looks like Mark Higgins could be replacing TP in the Subaru America Team
Old 26 Nov 2010, 08:00 (Ref:2795923)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Higgy is a safe pair of hands plus rarely looks a gift hors ein the mouth!
Old 26 Nov 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2795959)   #17
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_cooper View Post
Looks like Mark Higgins could be replacing TP in the Subaru America Team
Not Mark but his younger brother David Higgins.

http://www.worldrallysport.com/conte...-team-usa-2011
Old 26 Nov 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2796007)   #18
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, interesting. I did wonder if Niall McShea was a possibility if they were considering European drivers, as he drove for Subaru at X-Games a couple of years ago (he binned the car, but had been flying up until that point!).