Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Jun 2003, 16:56 (Ref:620780)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America on Pay Per View Only

The August 3rd airing of the "Mario Andretti Grand Prix" from Elkhart Lake could be in a form of pay-per-view deal, on HDNet, and not via the regular TV feed that Champ Car fans have become accustomed to. It seems that after the initial cancellation of the race earlier in the season, both SPEED and CBS filled the time slots with alternate programming.

Road America's Cheryl Barnes update regarding the TV situation with the race:

"The short answer is we do not have details at this time.

We understand that yesterday at the Motor Press Guild in Los Angeles
Chris said the Mario Andretti GrandPrix at Road America presented by
Briggs & Stratton will be broadcast in high-definition television.

It will be coordinated by Mark Cuban, founder of broadcast.com, also owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team.

I got that from our clipping service; it's on Racing Information Systems, posted by Michael F. Hollander.

Incidentally, we can use all the help we can get to

1) make sure folks know that the race is on

and

2) to sell tickets.

We are trying to make up two months' of sales time in short order and not all of the websites and printed materials have Road America back on the schedule. "

-Cheryl Barnes
Old 4 Jun 2003, 17:25 (Ref:620820)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PPV is going to be the end of sports. Everyone likes to blame the demise of pro boxing on shady promoters, thug boxers and a criminal undercurrent, and to some degree it has affected boxing. But I think the biggest downfall of boxing is PPV fights. The price is far too high for the level and quality of the entertainment.

The excuse that Speed Channel and CBS have other programs to run are BS. Literally 1/2 of Speed Channel's programming is hucksters trying to sell you the latest gadget you cannot live without. Doesn't everyone need a rotisserie oven that can simulataneously cook six turkeys in five minutes flat? Don't you need that contortion device that is guaranted to give you six pack abs just by merely owning it?

In less than a week, CBS found a way to tape delay the Brands Hatch event on a Saturday at noon. Am I expected to believe that they have that ever important WNBA nail biter or Pro Bowling Grand Prix from Toledo that is just to important to bump?

Pay Per View is going to be the end of it if they continue down that path.
Never forget #99
Old 4 Jun 2003, 17:30 (Ref:620829)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
SV's website doesn't list any programming in August. Surely they'll work something out. SV might just have to reschedule the broadcast of a NASCAR race from 1982. And, considering the public outcry that put this race back on the schedule in the first place, I'd be surprised if CBS wasn't looking at picking it up, too.

The one thing CART doesn't need right now is bad PR, and a PPV from Road America would be just that.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 19:20 (Ref:620969)   #4
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If its only on PPV, so be it, theres going to be an extra charge on my cable bill.

I am curious why SpeedTV wouldnt drop the talking NASCAR heads or whatever else will be on at that time for a ratings fest like RA.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 20:21 (Ref:621036)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good god....that would suck terribly... Any TV is better than no TV...and PPV is pretty much no TV. Even tape delayed the next day would be better than this.

For Canada, TSN will be showing it, but tape-delayed in the evening. Which isn't so bad, I can go for a bike ride during the day...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Jun 2003, 21:14 (Ref:621100)   #6
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Jay on the tape delay being the better option. PPV is worse than no TV. Can't blame CBS or Speed for this one.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:06 (Ref:621185)   #7
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Jay my heart just started again.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:13 (Ref:621193)   #8
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

You guys will have to tape delay it for those of us south-of-the-border. Although I hope to be there, I still would like to see the broadcast.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:19 (Ref:621204)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I sure hope that this DOES get worked out!!! Elkhart Lake is always a good race....pay-per-view would drastically cut the audience for those who would want to see it...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:30 (Ref:621213)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
To be honest, in some ways I think 'why bother?' if attendance is going to be low and it won't be televised. The only reason to run the race then is for the driver's own enjoyment.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:35 (Ref:621218)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PPV hasn't worked for F1...
Old 4 Jun 2003, 23:54 (Ref:621283)   #12
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hawaii Super Prix anyone?

If you have seen any US Cable channel selections, you would know that there are more than 2 channels in the system. Since CART is buying the airtime anyway I can't see why they can't buy a timeslot outside of Speed or CBS. I am sure there is at least one cable channel that would be running infomercials at that time.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 02:15 (Ref:621343)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART needs Speed to do the production, though. Speed and CBS have a unique arrangement that probably took quite a while to hammer out.

It'll probably be on FOX Sports Espagnol, but that doesn't do anything for those of us who don't get that channel (the language barrier is a secondary problem to the fact it just isn't in many markets).
Old 5 Jun 2003, 02:27 (Ref:621347)   #14
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

How is anyone, other than those of us who frequent the boards, going to know the race is on PPV? At least on Speed or CBS they can stumble upon it while surfing channels.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 02:55 (Ref:621354)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
To be honest, in some ways I think 'why bother?' if attendance is going to be low and it won't be televised. The only reason to run the race then is for the driver's own enjoyment.
Well then 97% of all motorsport should quite while it's ahead!

But really, should attendance be that low? Where is Elkhart Lake's primary market? Do they get a lot of people who have to take a week off work, and set off in the RV? Even if there is only a couple of months notice, whoever is running the show should be capable of whipping up enough publicity to tell the local punters that the race meeting is on. Most local people dont need more than two months notice simply to spend a Sunday at the racetrack...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 03:28 (Ref:621362)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
That's true Crash Test... but for a series like Cart that needs exposure so badly, I'm not so sure.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 04:53 (Ref:621386)   #17
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Send off an email to SV. I'm going to right now.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 05:40 (Ref:621415)   #18
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The attendance of RA will be lower than yesteryears because there is a big arse airshow in Oshkosh on the same day and booking hotels were a royal pain as it was, the date change just made it even worse.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 16:11 (Ref:622999)   #19
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, corkholio. The EAA Fly-In at Oshkosh is the world's LARGEST air show, attendance-wise. They'll have something like 12,000 private planes parked in rows on three airports up there. And it goes on for a week and draws a total of hundreds of thousands.

Mark C. posted over at his site that he thinks CART might get only 500-1,000 viewers on PPV.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 21:18 (Ref:623258)   #20
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

This from CART regarding RA...

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Champ Car. Regarding your question/comments, while there have been no official announcements regarding television coverage of the Mario Andretti Grand Prix at Road America, Mr. Pook's comments from the Town Meeting in Cleveland are accurate in that we are pursuing this avenue as a possibility in addition to entertaining other options at this time. Please stay tuned until we make an official announcement, and thanks again for contacting us.

Feedback@CART.com
www.ChampCarWorldSeries.com
Old 7 Jun 2003, 00:31 (Ref:623478)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that affords some hope As-De-Mim,
They got back to you and the word iis they don't know yet so let's hope for SpeedVision (Speed channel is the second worst name I could have thought for this channel.) Maybe Emporer Pook will relax his grip and give it to the masses.
Make Champcars the sport we all want. I should get a job there at the offices...