Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:27 (Ref:3206426)   #276
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is it peak speed or average speed over a lap?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:46 (Ref:3206431)   #277
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Is it peak speed or average speed over a lap?
I shall check and report back
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:47 (Ref:3206433)   #278
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Usually I thought most lap times include the average speed over a lap.
But that's not to say mylaps did something different
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:53 (Ref:3206438)   #279
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Hmmm, it says "Best Speed" so I assume that is the peak speed, and as STFan says, it would be in mph being American so that puts the top speed at 121mph which is not as bad as I thought then, but still could do better I think.

And more horses means more skittering around the hairpin which would be good
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3206441)   #280
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep, that hairpin was the best place to watch those utes scrap it out in my view.

i think it is 'top recorded' speed over the lap on mylaps

Blimmin imperial
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:59 (Ref:3206443)   #281
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Club racer;3206408]I also noted a complete lack of any apparent engine issues for all the teams. QUOTE]

Something went wrong with Scott McLaughlin's engine, but hasten to add it may not be an "engine failure" itself. It got hot, but that could have been caused by any number of factors.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3206445)   #282
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its average speed for the best lap and its in kph.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3206448)   #283
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=raymond;3206443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Club racer View Post
I also noted a complete lack of any apparent engine issues for all the teams. QUOTE]

Something went wrong with Scott McLaughlin's engine, but hasten to add it may not be an "engine failure" itself. It got hot, but that could have been caused by any number of factors.
My Report was maybe something else had been damaged still from Race One.

Pretty good effort on Engines/Gearboxs, and in that heat over the Weekend. Looks like the Mods have done the Trick which is great news
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3206451)   #284
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Its average speed for the best lap and its in kph.

Really? so you are saying that to crack a low 1.03 around HD you only need to be doing 150kph? It says 'best speed' so it has to be in mph

Check... http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2568496

Happy to be corrected though because it is confusing, especially when they claim the track length in metric (km)
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:23 (Ref:3206454)   #285
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So simply yes you need to average 150kph

Simple Maths
If averaging 150kph means you go 150 KM in an Hour, divide that by 60 minutes = 2.5 km per minute as the track is 2.6 so yes it's average speed.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3206456)   #286
isoskim
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
isoskim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2568496

Taking Pederson's fastest laptime:

Velocity = Distance / Time
= 2.63 / 63.272
= 0.0416 Km/s (rounded)
= Above *60 *60
= 149.6397
= 149.640 Km/h

Shows that is is the average speed in Km/h for the lap time of a 1:03.272.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:38 (Ref:3206463)   #287
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to clarify about the apartment owners. The agreement is/was that even though these are freehold apartments, at this specific event, then numbers are limited to 4 free per apartment and all others must have a minimum of a general access ticket. Not ideal maybe, but a compromise reached with ST, when Mark fronted up to a meeting of apartment owners last year.

Some apartment owners were adamant that it was their freehold property and their money (profits from the building) went into the building of the circuit so should not be restricted on access other than the number of people allowed on the balcony for safety reasons.

Others could see a bigger picture and even though potential lost revenue was never verified, if it meant there had to be a compromise, then they'd accept it to see bigger events at the track and this was deemed a bigger event but a the promoters are the ones making the demands. With the Hulme Festival, there was no restriction.

I wasn't there for this meeting but if an apartment is rented out, it may well be by drivers/teams or officials who will spend all day inside the track, so those those balconies are empty. Driver/apartment owners are from several classes from F5000 and ST down to club level and some are not even into wheeled motorsport at all!!! Some are retired drivers and some owners are groups of friends and others are corporates. Not all are ST fans or fans of anything specific but there is a higher support of Classics than any other group.

As regards to catching up with other ten-tenthers, remember there are 4 apartment blocks, so you need to specify Amon, McLaren, Hulme or Ganley, reading from left to right from inside the track!
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3206472)   #288
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Nice one, thanks!
Old 18 Feb 2013, 01:26 (Ref:3206488)   #289
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Yep, you guys are right. I was thinking about when i was just driving to the airport. It has to be average speed in kph.

My simple take on it is, max speed of say 240kph, minimum speed of say 60kph at the hairpin.

That does average out to be about 150kph.

Thanks for clarifying that. Things will now make more sense in the future.

Mylaps, maybe you should change best speed to average speed??
Old 18 Feb 2013, 02:37 (Ref:3206504)   #290
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoskim View Post
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2568496

Taking Pederson's fastest laptime:

Velocity = Distance / Time
= 2.63 / 63.272
= 0.0416 Km/s (rounded)
= Above *60 *60
= 149.6397
= 149.640 Km/h

Shows that is is the average speed in Km/h for the lap time of a 1:03.272.
FYI.

GPS data record's Ant's maximum speed as 246.8, versus Murphy's best speed of 246.7. Ant also had a tiny advantage in Longitudinal G coming off turn 6 [acceleration off the corner leading up the hill] of .79 versus Murphs .78.

Mark Petch.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 02:45 (Ref:3206506)   #291
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Cheers Mark. It would be nice to see Ant land himself a V8SC drive on a regular basis, even if just for the enduros at this stage.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 04:11 (Ref:3206530)   #292
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I think he deserves the nickname fire-ant.

He was on fire all weekend, and how he didn't win a race i will never know.

Anyone know punter numbers? it won't be that great for sure, but i'm guessing 5-7000?? for sunday that is. Maybe at a stretch they may have just hit 10 thou for the weekend, but i'd say thats pushing it.

My next question is why. I understand there where a lot of other m/sport events on at the time, Paeroa street races (always a big crowd puller), drifting, boats in Tauranga and i think there may have been some drags too.

Maybe the 3 races + qually on sunday could be a double edged sword. Don't get me wrong, this was without a doubt the best organised event i have ever been too. One race would finish, and straight away another would start. They were within minutes of the scheduled timing. Very impressive.

But maybe having everything on the one day could mean people could just stay at home and watch the Tv3 package with a few mates and a few beers.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Interesting that top speed was nudging 250kph on a track that isn't overly fast.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 04:53 (Ref:3206536)   #293
HD_TR
Rookie

New Zealand
HD_TR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Anyone know punter numbers? it won't be that great for sure, but i'm guessing 5-7000?? for sunday that is. Maybe at a stretch they may have just hit 10 thou for the weekend, but i'd say thats pushing it.

My next question is why. I understand there where a lot of other m/sport events on at the time, Paeroa street races (always a big crowd puller), drifting, boats in Tauranga and i think there may have been some drags too.
Having seen a fair few events/crowds at HD over the last three years, it was similar to the moderate days of the Denny Hulme Festival, so I'd agree with the 5-7k, or thereabouts.

We were pondering the same thing - where everyone was - and the Drags were on, the cricket was on in Hamilton that night (and it looked pretty full), and given our Indian summer I'd guess lots of beach and boating attracted people.

The reality is that the huge choice of "things to do" for people in NZ's 1st and 4th largest cities, means that it is always hard to get the carpark full. The consistently biggest events in terms of cars in the carpark during 2012 - Drifting.

I counted the vacant apartment balconies on Sunday (the busiest day), socram. 19 of the 80 were empty, with closed up apartments, and around 25 of the occupied apartments had 2-5 people. Leaving around ~35 who were entertaining, and had a few along. A lot of those were teams, families of competitors and supporters.

On Saturday we only went for a couple of races, and it was a much smaller crowd than the Sunday.

For the "residents" at HD, we had to go and exchange our normal passes for the events' barcoded GA tickets, so in fact had lesser "rights of access" than normal. No carparking, and no Grandstand access.

I'm accepting of that, if it means that the Park can secure 'bigger' events, however it was quite different to the TRS meeting where we could just show our normal passes, and could access all public areas and grandstands.

Still a very good weekend of racing and fun, and there's nothing much better than bright summers days and fast cars.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 05:08 (Ref:3206540)   #294
Rangi
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Rangi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Paeroa was on last year, maybe just ain't as big a gig as you lot make it out to be. Went to Taupo last year and swore I would never get tucked like that again
Old 18 Feb 2013, 05:19 (Ref:3206542)   #295
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
A mate just reminded me to that Cricket was on in the Tron. NZ vs England from what i can tell.

Does seem that there was a lot going on in the upper north island this weekend gone.

Thats a pity you didn't enjoy Taupo Rangi. What was it you didn't like?
Old 18 Feb 2013, 05:39 (Ref:3206547)   #296
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wasn't there but from the TV pics I would say that is a fair guess

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, this was without a doubt the best organised event i have ever been too. One race would finish, and straight away another would start. They were within minutes of the scheduled timing. Very impressive.
Great that they (ST) listened, as that was a criticism of last season.

One area where NZ knocks spots off the European meetings I have been to, is keeping the programme going. Spectators hate looking at an empty track

Quote:
Interesting that top speed was nudging 250kph on a track that isn't overly fast.
One of our drivers with a 3.9 litre V8MG shows 204/208kph along the top straight. HD is a fair bit slower than Pukekohe (top speed) for some of us where the gearing is a bit taller, not to mention the extra corners at HD, hence the 10 second difference in lap times on a similar length track.

For what my opinion is worth, having now watched all 3 ST races, there was some good close racing and if the overall crowd numbers are a bit disappointing, then maybe we need to ask why people didn't go.

For me, ST or any identical or one two make racing, just doesn't rock my boat, regardless of whether or not it is a one or two day programme.

The classic supporters would be in the south island - and many from the north now make that journey south. It would be interesting to know the crowd figures from Teretonga.

I hate to say it, but so called top level motorsport is no longer the draw card it once was and just about all sports seem to be suffering lower attendance figures, as we now have far more leisure options than we did 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Last edited by socram; 18 Feb 2013 at 05:46.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 06:22 (Ref:3206568)   #297
tacmacnzl
Rookie

tacmacnzl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The sunday crowd this year looked about the same as the saturday crowd last year. Which IIRC was roughly 6000.

Still much bigger than any tier 1 event, but seems the initial gloss that ST enjoyed last year has worn off.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 06:27 (Ref:3206570)   #298
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmacnzl View Post
The sunday crowd this year looked about the same as the saturday crowd last year. Which IIRC was roughly 6000.

Still much bigger than any tier 1 event, but seems the initial gloss that ST enjoyed last year has worn off.
Tickets were also far, far cheaper last year. I got two GA weekend passes last year from the Speedshow for $15 a piece.... I think it was like $45 for Sunday this year?

$45 is good value for what you get though.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 06:36 (Ref:3206572)   #299
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
yeah i payed for a client of mine to attend just sunday alone. Did the booking late on saturday and got GA for $30 plus $5 for parking. Not bad really (especially when you compare it to the cash fest of supercars).

He was a happy man as he had never been to any V8 racing before in NZ (more of a drifter), and he commented on how action packed the weekend was.

Also the promo gear is cheap as, half the price of what you'll pay at supercars, and lets face it, its all the same stuff out of China.

Got the missus an ST jacket for $99, and a top for $25. As a comparison, her kelly racing jacket was close to $200 i think, and her red bull 'rain coat' pushed 300 nicker

Also, beers for $8 (probably about normal i guess) and the best part was that you could get a proper feed for normal prices. rather than the mechnically reclaimed meat hot dogs of unknown origin. A good feed of fish n chips (Gurnard) was about 20 bux from memory, and you could sit down and eat it and have a bit of a rest.

But that may just be for HD due to their facilities, was it the same for any of the other rounds last year?

Last edited by NZSTfan; 18 Feb 2013 at 06:41.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 06:44 (Ref:3206573)   #300
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's some valentines magic for your partner ST mine would laugh if I brought her any Motorsport gear.