Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2000, 15:26 (Ref:29985)   #1
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
The latest story is that Sir Frank Williams is having problems getting Juan Pablo Montoya realeased from his contract with Ganassi. So we may yet see young Jenson in a Williams-BMW for 2001.

The decision to announce whether or not he is to be loaned out to Benetton, expected this weekend, has been postponed, but Jenson's father John said on ITV that we can expect an announcement in the coming week.
Old 12 Aug 2000, 15:46 (Ref:29989)   #2
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that Toyota have waded in with a very very big budget to hang on to Montoya, If their reputed $25 Million has its way, Montoya will remain in Cart next year and then lead Toyota's F1 team in 2002.

It was reported that Williams and Benetton would be making their respective announcements in Hungary this weekend, then all this came up and both teams plans have had to go on hold.
Old 12 Aug 2000, 19:04 (Ref:30007)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think Montoya can drive for Toyota, or not straight away at least, because I heard that Williams have first call on his services when (if?) he decides to come to F1.
Old 12 Aug 2000, 21:22 (Ref:30028)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should stick with Button. In his short F1 term he has proven to be a solid driver that is gets better all the time.

On the other hand, we know nothing about Montoya's F1 abilities. He has proven himself in Cart, but as history has shown, that guarantees nothing in F1.

If they stick with Button, they could have 2 cars next year that will be at or near the Ferraris and McLarens.
Old 12 Aug 2000, 21:49 (Ref:30035)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Yeah, they've got a proven points scorer and a certain future winner (probably champion) in Ralf, and Jenson has shown to be a very competent driver, and , I'm sure, one who will, in the future, be a driver in the position to score podiums and wins.
Old 12 Aug 2000, 22:23 (Ref:30046)   #6
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually Jay....Montoya has a lot of F1 testiong experience. And he was very good at it back in 1998. I remember that sometimes he beated both Williams drivers (HHF and JV back then) and he also managed to beat the Mclaren guys some times (I recall Magny cours testing in november at the moment).

But as for his move with Toyota....that will never happen. The reasons?? #1 Frank Williams owns his rights so it's not up to Juan to decide who's he gonna run for in F1 but it's Frank's desicion.
and #2....he knows better than to start with a brand new team.
Old 12 Aug 2000, 22:43 (Ref:30051)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

Jenson qualified very well for this race. He has proven himself to be a steady yet fast driver, and capable of scoring points. Another good drive would make it very difficult for Frank to let him go to another team after this year.
Old 13 Aug 2000, 05:35 (Ref:30106)   #8
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that I find unusual is the fact that Frank might send Button to Benetton, BAR or Jaguar. They are all going to be competiters with williams, that doesn't make sense to me. But then again he doesn't have much other choice does he? Anyway, Ganassi WILL do anything in his power to let Montoya finnish his contract. And I also think that it is a win win situation for us BMW and Williams fans.
Old 13 Aug 2000, 10:24 (Ref:30130)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
But remember, Frank can let Jenson go to another team, because he has the power to take him back. The deal signed with Jenson was a five year deal, in which Frank can loan him out to other teams, but bring him back at (I think) any time within those five years. Other examples of contracts like this are Trulli, who can be taken from Jordan by Benetton, and Heidfeld who can be taken from Prost by McLaren (although since DC and Hakkinen have 'jobs for life' they won't be needing Nick at any time in the near future).
Old 14 Aug 2000, 00:54 (Ref:30281)   #10
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ol' Frank has a nice hole dug - Ganassi hasn't released Montoya, and El Buttinho has blatantly signed for Benetton. So who will join Ralf next season then???

Jarno? Bruno? Marc???
Old 14 Aug 2000, 15:21 (Ref:30461)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
Ol' Frank has a nice hole dug - Ganassi hasn't released Montoya, and El Buttinho has blatantly signed for Benetton. So who will join Ralf next season then???

Jarno? Bruno? Marc???
You're enjoying this aren't you?
Old 14 Aug 2000, 17:33 (Ref:30493)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi Fan, they could also try getting a good driver to pair up with Ralf .

Sharky, you're right I forgot about his past F1 testing. He did do fairly well. But, then Zanardi and Andretti both showed sparks in testing too.

I guess we will have to wait and see about Montoya. However, he is still a huge risk compared to keeping Button. Williams could have a good combo next year in Ralf and Jensen that could win races. I don't know if Montoya will fit in. Also, Montoya is very used to getting everything he wants, and I am not sure that Frank will give into his demands the way that Chip has.

We'll have to wait and see.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 18:19 (Ref:30505)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ahh, Minardi fan...

Button can't sign for anyone. He's contracted to Williams for five years, so if Montoya isn't released from his contract in America, Frank will find it pretty easy to snatch Button back from any deal he may make with Benetton.
Old 16 Aug 2000, 01:42 (Ref:30854)   #14
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But there is a time limit each year when Frank must let Jenson know if he wants him. I think that passed at the end of July. Hence Button has been talking to other teams recently.