Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 Jul 2009, 06:18 (Ref:2495702)   #1
XKRacer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
XKRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Inlet manifold and servo

I am in the process of making the inlet manifold. Something I need to do is reconnect my brake servo for this I need to tap into the manifold on each port as I now have individual TBs rather than the single big one.

Where do recommend/think best to go into the manifold? Low down closer to the head, higher up closer to the throttle body or in the middle?

Does it really matter? As long as it's sucking to help my brakes?

I will probably have quite a few silly questions as time goes on so bare with me!

Thanks in advance
Old 4 Jul 2009, 07:58 (Ref:2495716)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't have thought the position would matter. The vacuum is created between the butterfly and inlet valve, so should be the same anywhere in the inlet tract.
The other thing I have to say is that I don't think you'll need to tap off each cylinder (and this may negats the effect of seperate inlets too). My old Viva GT had twin Dellorto's and the servo feed was just from one cylinder, through the usual one-way valve. (Initially I also tapped off from here for the distributor vacuum advance, but at idle the pulsing from one cylinder caused this to make a horrendous rattle, so I disconnected it!)
Old 4 Jul 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2495792)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
You only need to take the vacuum off 1 port (Elans etc) why do you want a servo anyway? as race cams produce very little vacuum.
VIVA GT the distributor vac take off shouldn't have come off of there anyway as there were very few cars that ran full manifold vacuum to the dizzy. MGBs did.
The vacuum port take off from the carburettor was only for economy and had a weak vac at idle that increased as the throttle was opened.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Jul 2009, 06:51 (Ref:2496393)   #4
XKRacer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
I have contemplated losing the servo but Jag brakes feel naff at the best of times and its not some little pre 80s thing that can easily live without it.
I haven't had enough experience of newer cars without servo's to comment I just feel with the amount of power I am going to have I need as much breaking assistance as possible.
When I spoke to Jenvey they suggested I tap off each inlet to get optimum use of the vacuum
Old 7 Jul 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2497213)   #5
ian_w
Racer

England
Towcester
ian_w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would avoid joining all the inlet runners together as you will lose performance - just tap into one cylinder.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2497252)   #6
XKRacer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
OK I agree I have fitted a non return valve and will come off one cylinder cant see no reason why that shouldn't work.

Thanks for all your help