Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2020, 08:48 (Ref:3960741)   #1
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question to the FIA re Ferrari Investigation

At the next press conference in Melbourne a question from the floor......

If Ferrari had won the constructor championship last year would the findings you have reached after the examination of the motor changed that result?
Old 1 Mar 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3960764)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
At the next press conference in Melbourne a question from the floor......

If Ferrari had won the constructor championship last year would the findings you have reached after the examination of the motor changed that result?

Here are some links on the subject

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51688538

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...ri-2019-engine

I wonder was it a case that the FIA found what Ferrari was doing but could not prove it?
Old 1 Mar 2020, 11:38 (Ref:3960771)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is the problem of the sport being so beholden to manufacturers. It being Ferrari is just icing on the cake as they are extra special (veto power, etc). Aren't the teams in final negotiations with respect to 2021 Concord Agreement as well? Am I cynical or is the timing (and clearly this outcome) suspicious?

Richard
Old 1 Mar 2020, 16:44 (Ref:3960810)   #4
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
This is the problem of the sport being so beholden to manufacturers. It being Ferrari is just icing on the cake as they are extra special (veto power, etc). Aren't the teams in final negotiations with respect to 2021 Concord Agreement as well? Am I cynical or is the timing (and clearly this outcome) suspicious?

Richard
Agreed.
I've said it before and I'll say it again......'glad I'm as old as I am and saw better times.

Oooohhhhh, let's say '60-mid '90s.....

Admittedly there was stuff goin' on but not like lately. The "sport" is over......

(edit: I neglected to mention; 'not just F1. Luckily, amateurs are still hangin' in there......)

Last edited by jimclark; 1 Mar 2020 at 17:01.

jimclark
Old 1 Mar 2020, 17:09 (Ref:3960815)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup, because the sport never had any one cheating before. Nope, it was always pure and clean. Get off it, the sport has been clean and open. That era never existed
Old 1 Mar 2020, 17:15 (Ref:3960816)   #6
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yup, because the sport never had any one cheating before. Nope, it was always pure and clean. Get off it, the sport has been clean and open. That era never existed
Remember 'Spygate' (aka Stepneygate) in 2007, where McLaren obtained Ferrari secrets by deception, and copped a DSQ from the season and a humungous fine.

Edit: Nearly forgot Crashgate, although that was just plain cheating rather than car cheating.

also BAR Honda DSQ's and 2 race ban for having oversize / hidden fuel tanks back c 2005.

Last edited by E.B; 1 Mar 2020 at 17:27.
Old 1 Mar 2020, 17:35 (Ref:3960821)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How much if this is the news/media looking to make more of this then it is?

All fair I suppose because most people, including myself, believe that Ferrari get their share of assistance from the FIA but is this not more of a case of Ferrari pushing the limits and basically just being told to stop using this design/setup? Thats what it seemed like last season after their performance dropped.

I would like to know the details of the 'settlement' though.
Old 1 Mar 2020, 18:57 (Ref:3960845)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
How much if this is the news/media looking to make more of this then it is?
I cannot believe you're even suggesting that the media would make up stories?!!

What a scandalous idea!

Old 1 Mar 2020, 21:09 (Ref:3960866)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if anything would have happened if their rivals hadn’t drawn the FIA’s attention to it. Probably just as well, so Ferrari don’t get away with anything they shouldn’t
Old 2 Mar 2020, 00:27 (Ref:3960889)   #10
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is going to blow up in Melbourne, it will be like a pressure cooker building up steam over until then and the FIA genius who came up with the idea to release after it was too late for the press to ask questions may regret his/her idea. Will heads roll? maybe.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 00:40 (Ref:3960891)   #11
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
How much if this is the news/media looking to make more of this then it
That's an easy and safe assumption. Real or not, the media will milk it. But that still leaves the door open for it be stinky in some way.

Quote:
All fair I suppose because most people, including myself, believe that Ferrari get their share of assistance from the FIA but is this not more of a case of Ferrari pushing the limits and basically just being told to stop using this design/setup? Thats what it seemed like last season after their performance dropped.
It's pure speculation on my part. My thinking is that whatever they were doing was both legal and illegal at the same time. What I am saying is on one hand its legal, on the other its it's not. A super grey area solution. Very creative and totally against the unenforceable "spirit of the rules".

The settlement was that Ferrari would stop, but nothing would be said. Why not drop the hammer on them? Because its Ferrari and because the sports struggling and also it may not have been clear cut case of cheating. Who would have fought for a confidential settlement? FIA or Ferrari?

I expect on the FIA side some may not be happy with how it went down. I expect how this was communicated was purposeful in that it created this bit of smell of something not quite right, but still sticking to the agreement. If Ferrari wants to remove the stink of a cheating scandal, just release the settlement details?

Of course, I could be very wrong! So apologies to any Ferrari fans upset with my speculation.

Quote:
I would like to know the details of the 'settlement' though.
I expect we never will and this will be old news and mostly forgot by end of the season.

Richard
Old 2 Mar 2020, 00:42 (Ref:3960892)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who’s head? Someone at Ferrari or the FIA?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 02:47 (Ref:3960900)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Someone will end up sleeping with the fishes.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:39 (Ref:3961088)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or gets promoted from Ferrari to the FIA??

Old 2 Mar 2020, 21:04 (Ref:3961099)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it will take time, Ferrari need to sort themselves out first
Old 2 Mar 2020, 21:44 (Ref:3961104)   #16
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

Apart from the Todt,Brawn,Byrne,Stepney,Schumacher years thats been the case since about 1980.I don't suppose Rory Byrne is devoting too much of his time to the cause these days and the others have moved on-some permanently.
Old 3 Mar 2020, 00:13 (Ref:3961123)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What will take time?
Old 3 Mar 2020, 06:03 (Ref:3961150)   #18
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What will take time?
Ferrari working out who will be next to run the FIA?

For this to become forgotten news?

For this to become a 'gate?
Old 3 Mar 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3961168)   #19
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Ferrari have got confusion in their DNA, they will never sort themselves out.
Old 3 Mar 2020, 19:44 (Ref:3961327)   #20
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Remember 'Spygate' (aka Stepneygate) in 2007, where McLaren obtained Ferrari secrets by deception, and copped a DSQ from the season and a humungous fine.
Edit: Nearly forgot Crashgate, although that was just plain cheating rather than car cheating.
also BAR Honda DSQ's and 2 race ban for having oversize / hidden fuel tanks back c 2005.

Also Tyrrell's leadshot in the brake cooling water refill towards the end of the race. When was that? Back in the 80s or 90s.
Old 3 Mar 2020, 22:58 (Ref:3961358)   #21
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Also Tyrrell's leadshot in the brake cooling water refill towards the end of the race. When was that? Back in the 80s or 90s.
1984 IIRC. I remember Bellof was still alive,and he lost points and a podium from his brilliant drive at Monaco.
Old 4 Mar 2020, 12:23 (Ref:3961506)   #22
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Other teams not happy...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/form...cid=spartandhp
Old 4 Mar 2020, 13:02 (Ref:3961512)   #23
Casper
Veteran

The investigation result was never going to be the end of it no matter how many NDA's were signed. This is going to be bigger than the Corona Virus. I wonder how those who thought up the idea are feeling now, surely they did not think that it was going to be the end of the whole thing.
Old 4 Mar 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3961514)   #24
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
The hilariousness that is the other teams complaining about openness of the rulings makes me laugh and question if they actually care or just want to be seen pretending to be open. If it was Honda, no one would have batted an eye and said well I guess they cleared that up and the part was legal but not what the FIA had in mind. It has been disallowed but the system could still be compromised by detailed statement about how they did it.
But it's Ferrari so obviously they were rubbing the engine with virginal sacrifice and burning FIA documents in the engine for extra power. Clearly the FIA allowed them to have millions more hp than us even though we beat them consistently obviously that part on our car would have been unbeatable.
Old 4 Mar 2020, 18:14 (Ref:3961565)   #25
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The hilariousness that is the other teams complaining about openness of the rulings makes me laugh and question if they actually care or just want to be seen pretending to be open. If it was Honda, no one would have batted an eye and said well I guess they cleared that up and the part was legal but not what the FIA had in mind. It has been disallowed but the system could still be compromised by detailed statement about how they did it.
But it's Ferrari so obviously they were rubbing the engine with virginal sacrifice and burning FIA documents in the engine for extra power. Clearly the FIA allowed them to have millions more hp than us even though we beat them consistently obviously that part on our car would have been unbeatable.
Slightly OT but I note Hamilton is saying Mercedes may not run DAS in the early races, this may be because Mercedes are unsure of the overall benefit, the cynic in me says it is because they think it will be protested...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk