Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Oct 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1423975)   #1
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Brands Hatch

A long weekend, especially for those there on the Saturday. I'd just like to say well done to those who were out on the GP loop, especially on post 17, who seemed to have attracted cars in nearly ever session on Saturday. The number of red flags bordered on unbeliveable, and the fact that the day finished nearly two hours behind schedule (as the hour for lunch disappeared, and we were still there till very close to curfew) shows what a disjointed day we all had.

Sunday was better, but it wasn't hard to tell it was the final round of all the championships. I was on Post 4 with a fine group of orange people, and am still thinking about the Clio incident on the first lap of Sunday's race. I can remember seeing a big clump of cars coming into Paddock and thinking that it was never going to end well. Sure enough That's the second weekend in a row I've had cars heading for my bit of Kent at high speed (Two Formula Palmer's at Clark Curve the weekend before), but actually seeing one of them landing on all 4 wheels on the wrong side of the tyre barrier was a new experience. Finding gravel in my bag (which was leaning against the side of the hut) and bits of window glass scattered up the hill as far as the base of the hut drove home how close we had been - a very strong reminder that we need to look after ourselves when we're on the bank.

Can't believe the season's nearly over, this is the first year I've properly planned my weekends trackside and I've enjoyed pretty much all of them, as much for the camaraderie and fun on post as for the racing. I take a lot of pride in being part of this community and knowing that I'm helping the sport I love to continue, and we can all feel proud of our contribution.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1423988)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi ad, we saw that on TV and your team got a resounding round of applause from us for the professional way the whole thing was handled. Hopefully you're all ok and all brown stains have been rinsed out of the overalls!

4 is definitely not a post to go to sleep on. I was actually amazed we didn't get something in during the A1GP - fortunately, they all confined themselves to hitting the armco at ramming speed!
Old 5 Oct 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1424212)   #3
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't very happy with the Saturday; probably the worst day I've had in 4 years. Given post 13A at sign-on, which I knew is a bit dull as I've done post 12 and just the weekend before, post 13. Was told they'd try to move me the next day.
Get out to post, one other flag marshal there, on-post time comes and goes, and still just the 2 of us..... Great, we think, no IO, no observer, just us. I've been in this position (and worse!) before, so it wasn't such a problem, but I wish we'd been told at sign-on that we would have no observer, as it meant that we had no report pad, no radio, and no idea of what was going on as neither of us had been to the observer briefing. To my mind that is plain unsafe, as we may have missed special instructions relating to procedures or sessions during the day. The other flaggie on the post rang race control to tell them of the situation and could they get a report pad at least out to us, and he was told that it was nothing to do with them and not their problem!
I was gobsmacked when he told me what their response was!
We wandered up to post 13 to talk to their observer and he wasn't a lot more helpful. We asked if he could cover us on the phone if we had to go to something and he said no, just drag the phone closer to whoever's flagging. Alright, we could do that, but it wasn't exactly friendly or cooperative.

And that start to the day set my mood for the rest of the day. It just got worse as we got all the sessions stops with no idea what was going on. Finally about 11pm we got a call to explain that one long stoppage was because they were rebuilding post 17, and not to expect a lunch. About 12.15, got another call, lunch was definitely off and was this a problem - erm, yes, 'comfort break' required! Finally got another call at 12.40 saying there would be a 10 minute pause at the end of the session at 1.20, but only if nothing else went wrong. Thankfully it didn't.

I was so hacked off with the Saturday that I considered not going back, but I did give them a second chance on the Sunday.
They did move me, as they said they would try to do, to post 5. Saved the weekend for me, as Don, Colin and the rest of the guys on post 5 were brilliant. Far, far better day. Very scary watching the Clios hitting post 4! Then the rest of the field tried to join us at Druids.

Saturday cast a shadow over the weekend for me though. Really hate not being told when you're going to be short manned, as you can't prepare for it. And race control's attitude stank! I'm looking to writing to someone at BARC about it - was it Trevor Jackson in charge that day or is there someone else I should write to?

Phill
Old 5 Oct 2005, 09:20 (Ref:1424270)   #4
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phil. Trevor Jackson was the Chief Marshal, but copy Dennis Harris (via BARC at Thruxton) as he is a senior BARC Council member who takes a great interest in all matters marshalling.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1424340)   #5
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This sounds like a Marshal's Lot in miniature! All that's bad, on Saturday, and all that's good on Sunday!
I remember being on my own on post 11 for an HSCC Saturday. It rained all day, and I only had one pull-off to contend with. Lucky as I'd been marshalling for about 6 weeks!
I thought times had changed untill I read of the shocking and thoughtless way Saturday was handled by the powers-that-be!
I hear the "I never do the the GP or Touring Cars" mantra more and more. Come on Chiefs, whichever club you represent, even post 13a needs to be considered, ask Johnny Herbert!
Old 5 Oct 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1424365)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Phill, I was the Observer on Post 14 and was told late in the day that I was also Observer for post 13a and post 15. I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to come down and explain the situation but due to the constant red flags it was a touch difficult. However, rest assured, I had a full Observers report pad and would have written up any accidents etc on your behalf.

One of the problems last weekend was that the BTCC followed on from two weekends of three day meetings, and as we all know, some marshals have interests outside of motorsport.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1424403)   #7
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phill - I'm sorry you were treated in this way. I started Saturday driving the course car and we had a few posts to deliver report pads to so am surprised you got those comments. It IS the problem of race control if you are not fully equipped or unhappy and am not sure who you talked to to get the wrong impression.

We only had one person on the phones on Saturday which is also very short and, after the F Renault session, I helped on the phones for the rest of the morning. It was me who phoned about the delay and about timing for the loo break. I asked all posts to let me know of any problems and was ready to come out and relieve you (that sounds wrong somehow) at post 13a for a while for loo break as you only had 2.
In the afternoon I was back in the car and I guess the shortage of telephone staff stoppped some of the info coming round.

As said, talk to Trevor about your disappointments. I am sure he will take it all on board.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1424420)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this the time to say 'landlines' again? You only need one person on, and everyone knows what's happening all the time, including what's being reported. In addition when you ask the question 'who's covering for me' the next post could give an instant reply.

[/End of hobby horse]
Old 5 Oct 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1424426)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Before we go totally off topic (sorry Woolley) I think radios are more needed. That way the Observer is not 'tied' to the hut.

Back to the topic...
Old 5 Oct 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1424461)   #10
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Land lines can be any length you want...2 manned post, one on LL and yellow flag, one goes to incident, avec sac.
...I hope Trevor finds out who spoke to 13a like that and puts 'em on post with 'em next season! Sounds like someone needs a reality check.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1424510)   #11
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Phil - sounds like it was a really bad day, sorry to hear about it mate. I'm sure Trevor and co will take any comments you make to him/the club very seriously, but if BARC/Brands are not getting the volunteers then he can only work with those that he gets.

So, should the organising club be asking themselves "Why are we not getting sufficient numbers of marshals for the country's premier national meeting?" Especially since it was the final round with a championship still to be decided.

If they need to ask, then it shows how out of touch with the grass roots they are.

I know of chief marshals and many veterans that won't go near BTCC meetings for a variety of reasons. I'm one of them - I guess when you look at the factors that make up a good race meeting - all of which we've debated here on tenths, the BTCC falls short in many areas. (Or has in the past, but once you lose a volunteer, it's hard to get him or her back).

Sadly or perhaps being professional or even old fashioned, many will not criticise large events in public because of the high profile/revenue of such high status meetings. Just by writing these things I (like others who have rocked their establishment boat) risk condemnation and censure by my peers.

Keep it within the system they say, and so we discuss it at training days ad nauseum and things don't change.

Bring it up in commitee meetings, go through the proper channels the chorus goes, and the message is then lost in the mountains of recycled trees that float from desk to desk.

Welcome to the 21st century - hear us moan and groan to the world via our electrons. As you heard our praises after A1GP.

And, as SG has said, it would have been 3rd biggy in the southeast a row, and for most of us that just ain't on, as it was I spent both days @ work anyway.

and then..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Before we go totally off topic (sorry Woolley) I think radios are more needed. That way the Observer is not 'tied' to the hut.
Sorry, but no Stephen, much experience at Brands, especially recently on the long circuit have shown that the existing radio network is not a good solution to communication problems.
Post 16 at the A1GP had ambulance, rescue, doctor, 2*D&G, IO and snatch vehicle all on radios. Very rarely was communication effective and reliable. That poor communication made some things less effective than they could have been, and I wrote a report to that effect.
I, as observer, had a 20 year old phone, about as much use as a chocolate teapot during the A1/TGP races. Ring tone was a subtle little beep and acoustically the handset was as good as a tin can and string pressed against my lug.

If A1GP comes back, land lines and a modern radio network are essential. Circuit provided, not cobbled together by the club renting the circuit.

right - give the keyboard a rest now
Old 5 Oct 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1424612)   #12
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on post 15 as Stephen stated he came up to talk to us on both Saturday & Sunday. On Saturday there where 4 of us but no Observer I/O or Flag Marshal I took the call from Peter about the lunch break being cancelled but that was the only time we where told what was going on all day. Apart from the lack of communication it was a good meeting. ( Being on post 15 you cannot hear the tannoy)
Old 5 Oct 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1424665)   #13
gpracing27
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
gpracing27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Ad for you contribution on 4, the team made my life a little easier and as always when the chips are down the teamwork really come to the fore.

Having had the use of a radio as IO at the A1GP and the benefits this brought when dealing with an incident, as the 'Observer'/IO on post 4 on Sunday it was in incidents like the Clio that a radio would have comeinto it's own. Trying to manage the incident and run back to the hut to phone in updates was a balancing act.

Thanks to the team on the post and the response of the chase car and St johns crew things were dealt with efficiently.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 07:31 (Ref:1425065)   #14
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'm glad there was someone covering us even if we were unaware of it, thanks Stephen.
And thank you too, Peter, for offering to cover for a few minutes if we had lost the 10 minute break. The offer was appreciated.