Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Closed Thread

Old 12 Dec 2002, 14:29 (Ref:448363)   #26
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm trying to learn the ring. It's winter and I haven't got a girlfriend so I've got plenty of time.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 21:35 (Ref:448627)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Toth
I'm trying to learn the ring. It's winter and I haven't got a girlfriend so I've got plenty of time.

Mmmm. I know there are times when my wife thinks she hasn't got a husband........
Old 13 Jan 2003, 13:50 (Ref:473013)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just to re-start this thread, here's my latest set of times:-

Kyalami Lotus 1m20.861
Mexico Lotus 1m48.680
Monaco Lotus 1m28.674
Monza Lotus 1m28.402
Mosport Lotus 1m22.379
Nurburgring Ferrari 8m28.767
Rouen Lotus 1m58.987
Silverstone Lotus 1m28.475
Spa Lotus 3m18.943
Watkins Glen Lotus 1m05.989
Zandvoort Lotus 1m26.617

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Jan 2003 at 13:50.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 16:48 (Ref:475209)   #29
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aysedasi, I don't know how protective you are of your set ups but I'd be really grateful if you could mail me the ones you are using for the glen (in the Ferrari) and Monza (in the lotus). I'm really struggling at the glen at the moment . If its ok I'll PM you my email.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:18 (Ref:475273)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Damon, I'm not protective of them at all. Although I have shifted horses (or rather setups) recently. At Monza last night I actually used a setup by Andreas (Andy) Wilke, with which I am just a fraction faster than with the Scmidt setup. I have also recently used Huttu's first generation setups and Roland Ehnstroem's first set as well. If you PM me with your e-mail address, I'll let you have all of them to try out, if you like?
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:25 (Ref:475284)   #31
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
thanks very much! I know what some people are like! my email is in your PM box...
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:37 (Ref:475308)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
T'is done.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 17:44 (Ref:475326)   #33
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
thank you sir!!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 20:29 (Ref:475517)   #34
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Can some of you quick guys post your PB's for the glen in the Ferrari so I can see how much I need to improve before the online race.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 21:41 (Ref:475604)   #35
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For some reason, I can't get to grips with these downloadable setups.

I've resorted to playing around and developing my own. At Monza I got to within 0.7sec to Aysedasi's pole time.

Obviously I'm not as fast, but I get satisfaction from creating my own setup which I can comfortably drive fast, but to me driveable.

Am I too much of a purist for my own good?

PS: Damon my PB is a 1:06.59 at the 'Glen. It's negative, but I'm going to work my butt off to match the speed demons who are Ayse and TS.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 21:52 (Ref:475626)   #36
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think im going to purchase a new wheel before the next race, my steering wheel tonight is looking and feeling a little worse-for-wear: the pedals kept messing up, and when i turned left, the steering wheel was...let's say: "coming very loose" - as in, i had to push the thing in to steer properly!!!

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 15 Jan 2003, 22:17 (Ref:475660)   #37
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main reason you can not get to grip with the set up you have downloaded (as I say for the Nth time) is that they are hot lapper setups, or at least 90% are. which means that they are good for a couple of laps but too hard to drive in a race. You also have to drive differently, stop the car mid corner, point it in the direction you want to go and then put the power on all the way. You know you have a hot lapper setup on as if you go and check what ramp andle you are running it will (should be) just "?????" This makes it very hard to drive.

You also have to drive with alot of throttle on mid corner, as the diff (ramp angle) acts like a limited slip diff, lsd, but is wound so far up that it needs alot of power to make it work, and when the power does come in you will have spun around.

I make all of my setups and i follow a simple plan, set the front spring rate to 70, on the lotus set the rear to 110, set a ride height, toe, camber, and a 85/45 diff with 3 clutches. Then drive and see how it handles. Then set the camber so that tyre pressure are not higher than 26, and tyre temps are even on the most used tyres. If it is understeering then add 5 to the rear spring, maybe reduce rear toe. Gearing is done to suit the circuit.

This gives me great satisifcation in making a setup, and even more when you learn more about them and improve them yourself. THis teaches you more and againis very rewarding.

But each to there own.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 22:23 (Ref:475666)   #38
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
i find that with the 2nd generation setups - that if you soften the suspension a little (down 2 clicks) then they become instantly driveable. the trick is to force yourself to go up one click - then to the full hot-lap setup.

im still at -2 clicks

Old 16 Jan 2003, 08:36 (Ref:475976)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Whilst I agree with much of what Tony says, I don't actually find the hot-lapper setups impossible to drive in races. At Monza I used the Wilke setup with no changes bar increased fuel and whilst I accept that Tony would obviously had beaten me if he hadn't had his wheel problem, had I made a decent start and not made a couple of small mistakes at the 1st Lesmo, I think I could have kept him even more honest!

My biggest problem is that most of the setups I've tried tend towards understeer, which I dislike intensely. As I've said before, I do like a good measure of oversteer which I feel lets you "drift" so much better. Of course, you need to be able to catch the spins!

I've only been driving GPL for about 5 months, so I'm a real novice when it comes to setups, but I have come to terms with what I like and what I don't. You also need to remember that most of the hot-lappers have produced not only qually superfast setups, but race setups as well.

I have no qualms at all about using the setups made by others, nor do I have any great desire to be overly purist by creating all of my own - no point re-inventing the wheel. But its a case of each to his own, I guess.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 16 Jan 2003 at 08:37.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 09:30 (Ref:476007)   #40
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Kyalami Lotus 1:23.234

Mexico Eagle 1:52.150

Monaco Ferrari 1:31.963

Monza Lotus 1:28.853

Mosport Park Eagle 1:24.296

Nürburgring Lotus 8:25.759

Rouen-les-Essarts Eagle 2:00.852

Silverstone Circuit Ferrari 1:30.204

Spa Francorchamps Eagle 3:19.989

Watkins Glen Grand Prix Circuit Eagle 1:06.906

Zandvoort 1:27.426 Ferrari

Old 16 Jan 2003, 10:21 (Ref:476036)   #41
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wat Glen 1:12.6 Lotus
Spa 3:39.4 Eagle
Monza 1:35.5
Nurburgring (my fastest lap is one that i did when i tried to see how quickly i could go round in first gear, but i don't tend to go on th ring that often so i've never been faster) 22:01.7
Old 16 Jan 2003, 12:22 (Ref:476133)   #42
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You were able to stay awake for 22 minutes at the Ring???
Old 16 Jan 2003, 13:03 (Ref:476168)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
You were able to stay awake for 22 minutes at the Ring???

That is truly amazing!

My very first lap of the Ring was around the 11m30s mark.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 13:07 (Ref:476170)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
What might be interesting is to see how long all of the GPL fanatics have actually been driving GPL. I can't be bothered to start another thread, so I'll use this one.

As far as I'm concerned, I first bought GPL nearly 4 years ago. I drove it for a couple of months then before (somehow) growing tired of it and moving on to something else. By that time I hadn't done any negative times and didn't have a rank or race online as I had no internet connection. (Which may be the clue to the boredom, I suppose.....).

I started again with GPL in August last year and have therefore been playing it consistently, with ever-increasing fanaticism for about 5 months. My first toe in the water, online racing-wise only occurred a month or so ago. Since then, my interest in hot-lapping has all but disappeared (aided, I confess by going negative a couple of weeks ago), in favour of racing online. How about you?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 16 Jan 2003 at 13:08.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 13:36 (Ref:476201)   #45
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
indeed, it would have been quicker, if i wasn't half asleep when i got to the karusel, as i managed to punture i tyre at that corner, which didn't help, and also i couldn't help going for it a bit on the long straight at the end, which due to my punture, didn't get me ver y far without losing a front wheel, but i did finish the lap.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 13:41 (Ref:476202)   #46
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I played GPL first at the autosport show about 4 or 5 years ago, then i got it for my birthday shortly after. Played it for a while (about 3 months), but then got bored of it because quite frankly it's impossible without a wheel and pedals, so I gave up for 2 years, then i got a wheel, and started playing it again. then i stopped again, and in the intervening period managed to lose it clearing out my room. (plus i didn't notice for about 3 months cos i was playing GP4. Was gonna order it off sold out's site, but i have to get my dad to do it (i'm not old enough)
Old 16 Jan 2003, 13:47 (Ref:476208)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
So when do you think you'll get it pirenzo? In time for our next race on the 28th, do you think?
Old 16 Jan 2003, 14:29 (Ref:476248)   #48
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
possibly, but somehow i think i'm not yet good enought to be trusted not to accidentally outbrake myself and run in to the back of you when you lap me , M Belli style, although i definitely wouldn't hold you up for two laps!
Old 16 Jan 2003, 14:30 (Ref:476250)   #49
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Probably be able to join you after i've had more practice, in a few months.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 15:10 (Ref:476275)   #50
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I got the game about 3 years ago. I quickly ditched it because it was to hard (without a wheel and a good pc, and in general!). Then I played it for short periods of time after the arrival of, first a better pc, then a cheap wheel and now a good wheel.
About a year ago I suddenly got the hang of the game, I understood how the car is supposed to feel. So I crashed and burned around the tracks but didn't start to seriously try to get some decent lap times about half a year ago.

Currently I try to get within 107% at all tracks, I've done it at 5 and am close on all others accept the ring, where I need about 25 seconds). Then it's on to a negative rank!

My laptimes that are worth remembering:

Monza: 1.30.899
Silverstone: 1.34-ish
Spa: 3.30.1
Glen: 1.08.something
Rouen: 2.06.something (since yesterday)
The Ring: 9.21.something, but that's gonna change tonight!

And I think I should retry silverstone, I got my fastest lap there when I just tried to get as sideways as possible to make some nice screenshots!
Closed Thread