Old 21 Apr 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1591272)   #1
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here,s a question for.........

here is a question for you all.
do you still get the same buzz from your marshal...ing(never know if it has one or two l,s)as you did when you first started.remember your first time on the bank in your brand new probans,waiting for the cars to come out.the excitement,and anticipation of what to expect.do you still get that same feeling years later??or is it more a question of turning up out of loyalty to your club.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1591280)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, is the simple answer. Not every meeting, but then that was never the case,but last week ahead of Oulton I was buzzing and ready to go. 18 years on, no change.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 08:32 (Ref:1591599)   #3
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every race meet is a new challenge.and is different, some times before a meet gets here I'm buzzin . but when that buzz go's its tim to leave and retire. NO never not as long as I can drive.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1591947)   #4
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, can't say I have the same buzz. But do I enjoy it more? Yes! When i first started part of the buzz was fear of getting hurt and fear of letting others down. Now I back my ability and experience. Now I'm an ageing Observer I still get a tingle in pit of my stomach riding into Brands - and that's before a Brands breakfast!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1591962)   #5
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still get a buzz from doing it - I don't think any of us would be marshalling if we didn't. Now that I know what I'm doing, it's more anticipation than nervousness though.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1592000)   #6
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I'm still finding new challenges - never marshalled a hillclimb until today when I went to Gurston Down.

Thoroughly enjoyed the experience, made very welcome by the regulars and now going to squeeze a couple more hillclimbs into my season.

Suggest the key to keeping fresh is by trying different things, and never get bored doing the same week after week!

Steve
Old 22 Apr 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1592031)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sometimes........
When I am actually at the track and we're just about to start the day - yes!
However, it's becoming much harder to get excited in the run up to a meeting nowadays!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1592062)   #8
alfa_centuri
Rookie

Guernsey
Guernsey
alfa_centuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will admit it i do get the same buzz as when i first started, especially when you are marshaling the big meetings F3&GT, Britcar 24hr etc.. i do love motorsport so much that in the days running up to an event i am buzzing (people have mentioned it at work).
Old 22 Apr 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1592072)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have only done 2 meetings this year so far.
By this time last season, I had marshalled at 7
Old 22 Apr 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1592080)   #10
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Steve, I'm pretty sure that the Festival of Speed is a hillclimb!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1592979)   #11
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the longer you do it the more of a buzz you get, because you know of more things that could go wrong!!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1593060)   #12
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, dosent matter what the meeting, still get a buzz, especially when you hear the cars coming out of the pitlane for the first session.
Rallies are a different thing, they are more of a "package", or a bit more holistic to use a poncy expression. One of the best weekends motorsport I have had was squeezing three stages into 18 hours on the Pirelli Rally, I had so much fun planning a very tight scedule, then driving some of the best roads in the UK that the rallying itself was a bonus!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1593137)   #13
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some days yes, some days no. Today... Most certainly NO. After getting grief off the gate monkeys and having to park in the furthest part of the circuit and having to walk for 10 minutes to get to the medical center to sign-on it's a most emphatic NO.

It was only loyalty that kept me from simply saying "I work this circuit for cars, karts and bikes, I'm here at least 40 days this season and because some damn UK classes are over I have to park at the other end of the circuit.... you know what, take your event and stuff it up your hole."

Loyalty certainly won't work next year, I won't be commiting to doing this event next year.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1593157)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubby
Steve, I'm pretty sure that the Festival of Speed is a hillclimb!
Well, of a sort. Like saying F1 is a race during a discussion about a really exciting 750MC clubbie.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1593186)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I got a real buzz today - it was my first meeting of the season (yes I know I'm late starting this year but that's another story!)

Small "Clubbie" at Mallory and loved every minute of it - such a shame I didn't have time to see more of the racing because I was so busy but the racing I did see was brilliant and the company was excellent. What more can you ask for?
Old 24 Apr 2006, 06:24 (Ref:1593439)   #16
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Well, of a sort. Like saying F1 is a race during a discussion about a really exciting 750MC clubbie.
Thank you Woolley, that's what I was going to say!

Yes, I agree the permit the event runs under is a hillclimb, but the vehicles and drivers there are from the circuit racing environment, for the most part. There's nothing wrong in that, the event itself is great.

But to go to a hillclimb and see and witness purpose built machinery is quite awesome!!!

That's the distinction I was trying to get across (obviously badly to start with!). Trying other disciplines of motorsports opens your eyes to other types of motorised competition.

Cheers

Steve
Old 24 Apr 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1593466)   #17
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just teasing!
Old 24 Apr 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1593728)   #18
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubby
Just teasing!

If only I could kick both legs in the air!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1594073)   #19
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
If only I could!

I'm sure I'd fall on my a**e, just like you!