Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 May 2000, 10:38 (Ref:2577)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Incredibly Colin Balir is leading the Independents Cup after 6 races.

This is somebody who is 2 secs off the pace and shows what a mockery the Independent category has become.

What's Matt up to, has he woken up yet ?
I understand he got ito a few more scrapes at Thruxton - so much for his title challenge this year.

The winner of the 2000 Independents cup will be the last one standing up - my money's on the ambulance or Brands Hatch recovery unit!
Old 3 May 2000, 18:24 (Ref:2578)   #2
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Colin Balir any relation to Colin Blair?

Seriously though, I was thinking about this recently. Matt Neal is at present driving with a "win or bin" attitude, whereas Blair is still driving a very conservative race. So if Matt throws it off or blows it up then there is only Colin to take the points.

I believe that Colin will get faster as the year progresses, and he gets a handle on the foibles of a Front Wheel drive. But even then I reckon he will drive to win the independents series rather that drive to take on the works boys.

There were rumours recently of Will Hoy returning to the series in an Independent Honda I hope so! It will put much needed life into the series.
Old 4 May 2000, 19:27 (Ref:2579)   #3
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

MATTY WINS THE REST OF THE RACES!!!!!!!
Old 6 May 2000, 23:38 (Ref:2580)   #4
Ross
Rookie

Ross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Neal winning the Independents Cup is like Man U being a good team next season...it's gonna happen. Mixing it with the works boys is what Neal has to do and if 'win or bin' is the way he's driving good.
To many drivers are over cautious and play it safe (Not always in the BTCC) Watching MN is what makes spectating worth while this season.
Old 10 May 2000, 07:17 (Ref:2581)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its a total disgrace... Colin Blair was soooo slow at Brands, but has no competition. It's just unbeleivable that the UK preimer privateer cup can be like this..

Someone please explain how the STCC (results given in other subject) can have so many entries, and the UK have just two (one of which is rather professional).. Plus I thought the UK entires get 5 grand a race just to turn up... Mr Gow has a lot to answer for..

Or was it that everyone thought Matt Neal would be too good, and would win everything - so maybe its Mr Neal's fault for taking it all too seriously...
Old 10 May 2000, 19:02 (Ref:2582)   #6
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Colin fancies his chances this weekend at Knockhill. He says: "I've competed in about 20 Road Saloon races there and won the majority of them. I know the circuit very well so this weekend should be
good."

Watch out Matt! He's coming to get you!
Old 12 May 2000, 17:07 (Ref:2583)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Friel wrote:

>I think its a total disgrace... Colin Blair >was soooo slow at Brands, but has no >competition.
>
As I said earlier when the other Ford privateer team were hoping to race in '99. Let's not knock these guys, they are providing another ST car on the grid. Furthermore, at least they're racing, the rest of us are just sitting in front of the computer!!

>Someone please explain how the STCC
>(results given in other subject) can have ??>so many entries, and the UK have just two
>
The majority of those privateer teams are racing '94-'97 cars. Furthermore, their budgets are all very close. It would be crazy for a team to race anything older than last year's car against Matt and Colin Blair. Can you imagine someone bringin a '95 BMW to race? They're going to get toasted!

OTOH, I LOVE ST cars, no matter how old they are!!! As long as it's ST and they are racing them, I am happy!!

[This message has been edited by kmchow (edited 12 May 2000).]
Old 15 May 2000, 06:58 (Ref:2584)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So if the BTCC wanted a strong entry this year.... And let's not forget that they knew about the car shortage months ago.. Why didn't they say that the privateers was for 95-97 cars only??? Then making it cheaper for everyone and more cars being available.. Or would that be too simple??
Old 16 May 2000, 01:31 (Ref:2585)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

Dan wrote:

>Why didn't they say that the privateers was >for 95-97 cars only??? Then making it >cheaper for everyone and more cars being >available.. Or would that be too simple??
>
You know what, offhand, that sounds like a pretty simple and sweet solution!! OTOH, I guess Gow didn't want the BTCC--supposedly the top/premiere ST series--to race "older" cars I bet. It's an ego/image thing!!

Furthermore, some people may say that is too constricting and/or restricts their freedom of choice! Of course, I wouldn't mind.

OTOH, the Formula Saloons series now has a ST class. There are approx. 15++ older cars registered in it. About 6 have appeared so far this season. That is becoming an interesting series to watch!!!

Old 16 May 2000, 02:58 (Ref:2586)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Can you imagine someone bringin a '95 BMW to race? They're going to get toasted!"
-Welcome to the ASTC
Old 17 May 2000, 03:10 (Ref:2587)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

Crsh Test wrote:

>>"Can you imagine someone bringin a '95 BMW >>to race? They're going to get toasted!"
>>
>-Welcome to the ASTC
>
wait, wait, don't misunderstand me!! =( In contrast to some other members of the list, I have NO problems watching "older" cars race. Ideally, everything should be relative. Everything is pretty cool in the ASTC, STCC, South American ST since everyone is running the same era/level of cars.
HOWEVER, in the case of the BTCC, I said that won't be recommended since the competition is so much professional. Of course, I have nothing against professional and non-professional as long as they are hopefully fairly equal/relative.

Old 17 May 2000, 07:01 (Ref:2588)   #12
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I'll be watching Formula Saloons this weekend, so I'll let you know what they're like!!!!

It's just a shame that TOCA missed the chance to have big girds!! So these cars have to race in F Saloons or be sold abroad and get trashed in Sweden, Austrailia, or NZ..
Old 17 May 2000, 08:31 (Ref:2589)   #13
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm down on the reserve list for a radio controlled car race on Sunday. I was going to say that if I don't get a place at the meeting I'd come to watch Formula Saloons too, then realised that Zolder might be a bit far to travel at short notice

Do let us know what the FSaloons are like, and also what else is racing with them - I'm looking forward to catching at least 1 round of them this year.