Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Oct 2001, 15:04 (Ref:159679)   #1
John Batchelor
Racer

John Batchelor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is your favourite moment from the 2001 season?

As I said elsewhere, there have been so many...I'm torn! Some of the best moments were after the races, listening to Invader being...well...himself really, along with all of the ten-tenthers!
Then there was Lorna in the fire marshall suit, bella, and BARbabe trying to look sober, along with everyone else really!
There was my "off duty weekend" watching Chris Y race. Just about any moment with Alan Hyde!! Craig giggling in his sleep, Woody TJ draped in flags, Maisie cracking her back, Minardi Fan dancing, Redshoes and his sardonic wit, Suzy coming to see us with Robert, Spoonerboro and Kimisis watching the football at brands, Les building tables, airhorns, Carrie and the ten-tenths award, too many things to remember, oh and I did some races.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 17:21 (Ref:159717)   #2
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my favorite Moment... since i have only been to 2 Meetings this year it has to be the second Donington meeting last month that was a very long weekend but ENJOYABLE.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 17:56 (Ref:159734)   #3
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are way too many moments to mention!

My weekend as a fire marshall (of course)
John in an AA lycra suit (I couldn't stop giggling on the grid)
Ruth falling off chair in B&Q tent
Me being mistaken for Joanna Clarke (?!?!?!?)
Sharing a tent with Mr B&Q (who has the worst snore I've ever heard! )
BBQ cooking for the 5,000 most of the year (and putting up with the insults )
Sleeping in the car at beginning of season after doing Donnington, Snetterton and then Brands all in one weekend and eating MacDonalds chicken nuggets in the car at Donny before doing hand brake turns in the field with my tutor, Craig )
Woody's umbrella taking off at Brands (you had to be there)
And the introduction of new members to 10 Tenths. Yes, I'm on about the dino's again!
Old 12 Oct 2001, 18:13 (Ref:159746)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You forgot to mention you almost putting me through the windscreen of the car as we departed the McDrive! And the fact that the pair of us got so ****ered that we only actually saw about an hour of racing on the Sunday at Snett...! The drive around Cambridge was quite amusing... and was brought back to me the other day when I got lost and managed to end up driving a 7.5 tonner around Cambrisge city centre... when I drove past the bar we ended up in, it brought it all back. And then, of course, there was the 100mph+ drive down to Brands, and the mud and sleeping in the car to follow. And that was the very first BTCC weekend of the year! BEFORE we met Mr B&Q... it kinda got even better from there on in, didn't it!

Soooo many memories when you think back - almsot everyone a nice one! Funniest moments had to be the amazed stares and comments we got supporting John and the team throughout the year, the hat burning incident, the various 'acquisitions' and reposessions from the camp sites (anyone at Oulton will know what I mean...!), John taking the time to come over to the campsite at the end of a particularly horrible weekend at Oulton and thank us for the support - and his exit which certainly managed to annoy a few of the other campers (!), Snetterton (nuff said), the phone calls from Le Mans to Mondello...

OH, I GIVE UP!!! I can't select just one! The whole season really was awesome...! What with Champcars and Le Mans too... couldn't be better really

Now, for 2002 we really are gonna have to try and beat that! Anyone got any ideas how ?! Maybe a B&Qsi trip down to Le Mans is called for...?
Old 12 Oct 2001, 18:22 (Ref:159755)   #5
Lorna
Veteran

I forgot about my late breaking incident, Craig

Things were crazy before we met John. Very worrying....

Le Mans sounds like a good idea and what about getting over to Mondello as well because I believe they do not clash this time? I've got to save lots of pennies this winter.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 18:31 (Ref:159758)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I am working all over Christmas so that I can build up enough holiday for next season!

Let me see...

10 days for Daytona
5 days for Le Mans
3 days for Mondello

That's 18 already, before we take into account any F1 testing sessions, other longer distance meetings, or Christmas 2002! ooops... I only get 20 days a year (cue Lorna... 'I get 30... hahaha!!!') and have thankfully been granted special permission to carry any of this years remaining dates over until Febuary... phew! God knows how we'll managed in 2003 when we head down to Bathurst!

Anyway... back to the topic... how could I forget Chris' Mini exploits, the ride in the touring car on media day, and many other things besides... JOHN! THIS QUESTION IS NOT FAIR!!
Old 12 Oct 2001, 20:28 (Ref:159800)   #7
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John, it is simply impossible to choose a single moment from the 2001 season, all of it has been something special
Can we include the whole of Brands as a special moment.
The Knockhill 'grid girl'
Doing the VSCC at Donny and the look on Dan's face as Craig went round the corner back into Donington circuit, the drive from Donny to Oulton to get there for the Saturday night bbq. Inflatable hammers and angry Peugeot mechanics
The meal after the Minis at Rockingham - including the bear and the frightening hair!!!!!
The duvets at Donington
The list could go on and on
Old 12 Oct 2001, 20:33 (Ref:159802)   #8
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I nearly forgot about getting the Caravelle into the paddock at Silverstone and all the mad waving at Derek Warwick As well as the drive down to Buckingham and Chris's accompanying rally commentary.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 20:58 (Ref:159816)   #9
Lorna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
(cue Lorna... 'I get 30... hahaha!!!'
I get 30 days holiday a year! hahahahahah!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist it
Old 12 Oct 2001, 21:01 (Ref:159818)   #10
Lorna
Veteran

I forgot to mention the passenger ride in Tom Boardman's car at the beginning of the year. That was awesome! The only racing driver to actually make me tense round a race circuit!
Old 12 Oct 2001, 21:02 (Ref:159819)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ahh, the caravelle experience

i will never forget the toca party. and i will never look at half the btcc grid in the same way again....

won't forget paul's first poles at brands (*sniff* ), john and co turning up on friday night with a box of wine, john and his incredible ability to play dead, then wake up and enquire about the presence of alcohol, the kangas, oulton, argh, i just can't think of them all....

i just won't forget any of it. it was all fantastic...
Old 12 Oct 2001, 21:06 (Ref:159820)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
i just can't think of them all....
Quote:
i just won't forget any of it.
huh ?

Lorna, can you lend me some ? If not and you decide to keep them, there's no excuse not to amble down to France with us...
Old 12 Oct 2001, 22:07 (Ref:159861)   #13
BAR Babe
Racer

BAR Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want to forget any of it.
I have lasting memories of sooo many things (or half memories as john does point out i spent alot of time trying to look sober)
I had a brilliant time I think the best non racing memories i have involve Bellas Caravelle.
usually containing goodness knows how many people in various states of alcoholic states of unconsciousness.
Finding out during the season several bits of vital information. These include Johns capability to be 'asleep'..... yeah, right, fell for that one hook line and sink her didn't I?! *embarrassment*, well done mate, i'm still getting over that one!
Tracy has a game of Twister and no one else seems to want to play with her so muggins gets roped in...ie. remember to walk in opposite direction quite quickly next time!!!

Great end to the season too. Couldn't have asked for a better bunch of, hopefully, friends at the end of it.
The last race of the season had to be one of the best. For everything. People, places, events, everything. your all great, miss you all already and can't wait for the new season to start for the BTCC. Roll On. PLEASE!!!!
Old 12 Oct 2001, 23:02 (Ref:159881)   #14
Lorna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Lorna, can you lend me some ? If not and you decide to keep them, there's no excuse not to amble down to France with us...
Yep, I'm gonna keep them and yep, I'm gonna come to France

Once I have studied and happy that race dates will remain, I'll be booking off time for Knockhill, Mondello and Le Mans. Did I forget anything? I believe I've missed out on Daytona
Old 13 Oct 2001, 00:29 (Ref:159926)   #15
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Looking back over the season - I can't believe what a year it's been!! I've lived and breathed all sorts of different motorsports this year.

For the TocaTour, I reckon the last couple of events were the best.. The Silverstone paddock & Buckingham dashes in the Caravelle, 'how many people can you fit in a duvet?' at Donny, and the 'singing in the rain' at Brands.. It just keeps getting better, and hopefully that'll carry on next year

Same with my own racing really.. I enjoy it more every time I hit the track. All the while I'm learning, and there's more battling on the track, and more good friends off it. The Silverstone races have to be on my top moments list. 6-8 abreast going into Becketts and Brooklands every lap, a good old fight with Stu Jenner (including some breathtaking overtaking), and Maria Brown winning a race and the celebrations later.. Superb stuff.

Roll on 2002 indeed
Old 13 Oct 2001, 09:16 (Ref:159979)   #16
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh!, well it has to be meeting all you great guys at Donington!

I hope to be there for the next Donington BTCC round and a couple of you members at the FFord Festival in a few weeks time!

Oh yeah and John in Lycra! LOL
Old 13 Oct 2001, 10:27 (Ref:160004)   #17
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheesh - I hope in years to come I'm remembered for more than having a spine that sounds like twisted bubble wrap

Seriously, fave moments this year are all of the above - at least those I was present for, and many, many more - too many to list. The whole season will always be remembered as packed with action, laughs, cheers, airhorns, flags and kangaroos

Oh, and MINIS!!!!
Old 13 Oct 2001, 10:53 (Ref:160025)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Okay, here's a few more:

'ARSE'ing John's road and race cars at Oulton

The 'track walk' at Thruxton. PARP!

Alan talking about the roos for 2/3 of the qually session at Silverstone

Arriving at Oulton campsite to find four touring car drivers sat there having eaten all the bloody food

Standing in pitlane at Brands media day realising that after all the doom and gloom over the past months, BTCC had been reborn into something which looked to be the real deal. And so it turned out. More cars next year and it'll soon be back to it's former glory
Old 13 Oct 2001, 19:53 (Ref:160211)   #19
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spending all winter hearing people say the series was dead and then gatecrashing the media day and hearing the Astras accelerate out of the pit lane and the hairs on the back of my neck bristle..

hearing the rumours that on the entry list was a certain John B&Q and finding out it was Mr Topgear reincarnated and continuing the support and friendship.

Knockhill - every second of Knockhill weekend even though my hubbie wasn't there.

Silverstone tesing in the snow - not a wheel was turned but it was just the greatest day.

Westie.

Paul and Tom - just watching them enjoying their racing and Dave P when every race was a battle.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 19:00 (Ref:162584)   #20
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard Work!

How hard is it to describe your favouriate moment????

Think I'm going to spend some time looking back over my pictures then will post again!!!