Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Oct 2007, 21:08 (Ref:2042206)   #26
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like to predict things, but when it comes to filling out the schedule with events, Portland has been there to have an event the past few years and is just sitting there now. If CC answers the bell in '08 -- and it doesn't look like it has many races lined up -- Portland is in the same position as it's always been under CC and would likely be on the schedule in that circumstance. It's been "threatened" before.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 02:02 (Ref:2042329)   #27
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
If CC answers the bell in '08 -- and it doesn't look like it has many races lined up
How can you ascertain or predict such things without the calender Indycool.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 02:10 (Ref:2042332)   #28
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, what races are you counting on for '08 at this point?

Sounds like Long Beach and Laguna Seca are done deals. Toronto's wiggly but most probable. ALMS announced running with CC at Houston, so MAYBE CC's part of that deal is done. Same with Road America. CC had three races announced and canceled in '07.

Portland gets re-signed each year to fill out the schedule and I don't see a reason to think it might not again.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 02:35 (Ref:2042339)   #29
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well, what races are you counting on for '08 at this point?
Without a released calender, call me crazy but I havent begun counting the number of races for 2008 yet.

There was a rumoured calender in the 2008 schedule thread but apart from that it seems very unusual for anyone to be suggesting the number of events for 2008 at this current time.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 03:11 (Ref:2042346)   #30
indycool
Veteran

Agreed. Past what I posted, I have no idea what work has been concluded on an '08 schedule. I know of some issues at several places, but if they get resolved, they get resolved. But I can't see that we're very close to seeing a reasonable schedule yet.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2042488)   #31
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
So for all those marketing mavens out there, the news of "no schedule yet" is not good. The further into the future the schedule release is pushed, the harder it will be to attract $$. IRL, ALMS, Rolex, NASCAR, etc all have their schedules published. Sponsors and potential sponsors know where the cars will be and who they will be in front of. Next year is literally 2 months away. Decisions are being made (and need to be made) Now.

Meanwhile, at Business Model Central, potential sponsors are being pitched with: "We don't know for sure where or when we are racing, how many races will be in Europe, Canada, Mexico, The Pacific Rim or the US or what the length of the season will be. Please sign here, deposit your very large check and we'll let you know. Oh yeah, if races get cancelled like they did this year, we will give you a rebate and a cool autographed poster of Tristan Gommendy."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2042494)   #32
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who wouldn't want to be a sponsor of Champ Car?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:30 (Ref:2042511)   #33
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Apparently luke, there is quite a number of sponsors who have not wanted to be a sponsor judging by the lack of sponsors.

When your "business model" depends on pay drivers, then it is relatively clear that there are no sponsors bringing cash.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:49 (Ref:2042533)   #34
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
So for all those marketing mavens out there, the news of "no schedule yet" is not good.
Your insight is priceless John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
The further into the future the schedule release is pushed, the harder it will be to attract $$. IRL, ALMS, Rolex, NASCAR, etc all have their schedules published. Sponsors and potential sponsors know where the cars will be and who they will be in front of. Next year is literally 2 months away. Decisions are being made (and need to be made) Now.
Very true. I guess the balancing act is that the organisers want a firm schedule not one with the dreaded TBA's or cancellations.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:54 (Ref:2042538)   #35
indycool
Veteran

I agree that's the "balancing act." Thing is, those other sanctioning bodies do the same thing, matching up schedules with promoters and TV. And they've done it by now. Where has SJ been? Has KK visited Antarctica again?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:56 (Ref:2042540)   #36
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
He is reviewing depositions with his attorneys in preparation for the Uniphase trial phase, I am sure. Those sorts of things take a lot of time and one heck of a lot of cash...
Old 17 Oct 2007, 11:04 (Ref:2042549)   #37
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
I agree that's the "balancing act." Thing is, those other sanctioning bodies do the same thing, matching up schedules with promoters and TV. And they've done it by now.
Very true and something that is a serious flaw in the current ChampCar workings. The cancellation of Pheonix, and San Jose events in recent weeks/months would be a factor in a delayed schedule.

It was 2005 or 2006 season that the schedule was out early, prior to the conclusion of the season. So its not rocket surgery, obviously it is understood the earlier a schedule is out the better for sponsors and teams to commit.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 02:05 (Ref:2043254)   #38
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a schedule.

Apparently fences were mended with the fia.

More steve johnson messes are being mopped up.

I agree having the schedule out late is a problem. No rocket science there.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 15:17 (Ref:2044621)   #39
racerat1966
Rookie

United States
portland oregon
racerat1966 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gosh darn, without a race in portland? they just re paved the whole track surface, it would have fun to see more speed,